Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's time for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29, 3:58pm

Post #1 of 47 (524 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's time for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, all and sundry, and welcome to Fiesta Friday! Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, has family matters to attend to today, so I shall be your host.

Soups and stews and home-baked breads are at the bar today! Order your favorite drink, then help yourself to beef stew, corn or potato or clam chowder ("chowdah" if you're from New England), or one of our soups (chicken noodle, minestrone, pasta fagioli, and more).

So tell us: what have you been up to this week, and what are your plans for the weekend?

*puts quarters on jukebox* And play us a song! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

May 29, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 47 (471 views)
Shortcut
is it Friday? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been convinced it was Thursday all morning. I need one of those clocks that just have the day of the week.

I'll have some champagne, please! My new book got published this week! As you guessed, my new avatar is from the cover. "The Princess Powers Up: Watching the Sleeping Beauties become Warrior Goddesses" grew out of my blog and classes on myths & archetypes in film.

I have dedicated it to "the excellent and admirable habitues of theonering.net message boards," because I'm so grateful for this sanctuary.

I cover several themes in the book:
1. the continuing presence of ancient goddesses from many cultures in our current popular culture offerings
2. the evolution in agency for princesses and other female protagonists of film and television over the last 80 years, from the sleeping beauties waiting for their prince to come to today's all-powerful goddesses, like Elsa of "Frozen 2" and Captain Marvel - and how this evolution has both mirrored and predicted shifts in social attitudes about women and what they can do
3. the morphing of the hero quest and heroine journeys away from a gender-specific definition to four distinct kinds of journeys that can be undertaken by anyone
4. the increasing societal acceptance of "otherness" as normal, opening up the role of hero/heroine to anyone regardless of color, gender identity, ability, age, etc. -- and how seeing such diverse characters in turn broadens our ability to accept otherness

The book is available in both paperback and e-book on Amazon. Or if you prefer to buy from an independent bookstore, tell them they can order it through Ingram wholesalers.

https://www.amazon.com/...590680178&sr=8-2

This is it for me and nonfiction (for now anyway). I'm on to a work of historical fiction about an ancestor of mine during the War of 1812.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on May 29, 5:57pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29, 6:26pm

Post #3 of 47 (461 views)
Shortcut
*gets champagne out of 'fridge, puts several glasses on bar, pours* [In reply to] Can't Post

Omigosh, I'd forgotten your latest work was that close to publication! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it! Smile

As to the dedication...I think many here will be blushing...you are most kind!

(And thank you for letting us know how to purchase it from the independent bookstore...I've been doing a lot of that lately.)

We got my Dad a clock that showed, in large letters, both day and time. It was great for when he'd wake up from a nap and wonder whether he'd slept an entire day. How's your Dad doing?

Did your ancestor get caught up in the fighting, or in some of the other events during that war?

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 29, 6:28pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29, 9:35pm

Post #4 of 47 (448 views)
Shortcut
*Peers through mist* [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings on a very misty morning! I went out for a walk first thing, and the world of more than a few metres ahead was mysterious. We've had several rainy days, which has been a huge relief all round, and the mist is part of the aftermath.

Two great Covid19 milestones here this week: an entire week with no new cases, and the last patient was released from hospital, so we now have *no* Covid19 hospitalisations. And we're down to *one* active case! I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about being out of lockdown, though it's certainly not a good idea to be complacent, and our borders are likely to be closed for a long time yet. We ventured out to the doctor's for a flu vaccine, and then tried to go to out favourite cafe, but it was full (under social distancing limits). We'll try again next week! The doctor's was interesting, with temperature checks on entrance, no admission without an appointment, and no admission with any sort of symptoms (that's a "return to your car and we'll come out to you in PPE" situation). Shops and cafes all have contact tracing in place. It's definitely a new normal.

We're definitely starting to feel a bit wintry, and have had the fire on most days. The last of the tomato plants are coming up today, and the first of the broad beans have just sprouted. Today I plan some baking: cereal, and some luscious chocolate brownies - wheat-free and vegan, but because they taste yummy, not from any food intolerances. The kitchen is going to smell good!

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29, 9:38pm

Post #5 of 47 (442 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another great achievement. It looks amazing.

I'll definitely raise a glass to you and your work tonight.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

May 29, 10:02pm

Post #6 of 47 (440 views)
Shortcut
Dad's amazing at nearly 96 [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit bored with having to stay home. I volunteer occasionally to drive PPE to frontline workers, and he likes to ride along to get a change of scenery.

Yes, my ancestor's family had British officers billeted in their house after the Brits invaded and took the town in 1814. Family legend is that she had an affair with one of them! Or something. She lived long enough to know her great-niece Fan, who lived long enough for my dad to know her, and when he asked Fan about this legend she snapped "Betsey is in her grave, let her lie there!" Which made us think there must be something to the story! I've been doing a lot of research and unearthed some other juicy stories to go in the book. There's a villain ready-made as well, a Captain Barrie who was a nasty piece of work by all reports; even the other officers disliked him. And the family had one very unpleasant run-in with him that we know of. So there's lots to work with!

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 29, 11:24pm

Post #7 of 47 (429 views)
Shortcut
Grats! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

May 30, 12:19am

Post #8 of 47 (427 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like my grandmother [In reply to] Can't Post

Her constant refrain was “leave those old bones buried” when my dad and I first started our genealogy research. She didn’t like that we traced lines showing she and my grandfather were second cousins. But as my father says if you stand in front yard of the old home place in WV and toss a rock in any direction you’ll hit a relative.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 30, 12:28am

Post #9 of 47 (425 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

And your next book sounds fascinating, too. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 30, 12:34am

Post #10 of 47 (428 views)
Shortcut
I do like a bit of mist. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first day, anyway; after that, I get a bit itchy for sun. But for that first day it's wonderfully other-wordly.

I've got a dry day here so I've just finished painting the frame of the back entrance to the house. The old, fragile corrugated sheeting has been removed so before the new stuff gets puts up, I've put a couple of coats of paint on the wood and it looks so much better!

This afternoon I'm going for a drive down to Oakura Beach for a bit of fresh sea-salt air. It's not a trip away to another city for the long weekend but half the rest of NZ appears to be doing that, so I'll stick around the home patch.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 12:57am

Post #11 of 47 (423 views)
Shortcut
Even better: [In reply to] Can't Post

the mist has burned away, revealing bright sunshine! It's actually so warm I'm down to t-shirt and shorts. I'm planning to plant out some seeds, but I'll leave it till it's a bit cooler later today.

That sounds a perfect outing for today. The roads around here are bad enough on a normal weekend; on this one we're definitely not venturing out anywhere near the highways.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 1:11am

Post #12 of 47 (423 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so proud of your "little country"! Heart (Now, to KEEP you all safe!)

We've had a bit of fog the past couple of mornings, although not as dense as that! A lot of moisture in the air, it's been misting more than actually raining. Is your drought fully over now?

Your tomato plants and beans are still coming up? They must love the coolness of Autumn! Hard to believe your Winter is just around the corner.

*inhales aroma of baking chocolate* Mmm...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 1:16am

Post #13 of 47 (422 views)
Shortcut
Sea-air is very refreshing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Invigorating as well! (Although where we lived when our kids were small, within a kilometer of the beach and marsh, you could smell when it was low tide. Tongue)

Corrugated sheeting? We rarely hear of that around here! Is it used for roofing?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 1:21am

Post #14 of 47 (419 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in those days, families didn't move far away, and in rural areas there wasn't much of a choice for marriage partners.

Did you use the records in the Romney archives? It seems like a lot of those got destroyed during the Civil War.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 30, 3:31am

Post #15 of 47 (409 views)
Shortcut
You can, but I wouldn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Corrugated sheeting? We rarely hear of that around here! Is it used for roofing?

The problem with plastic is that it gets brittle as it ages beneath the sun. Using it on shed roofs means you get more light inside but when it gets brittle enough a decent-sized hailstone can punch through and voila, you have a leak. Personally, I'd use only iron corrugated sheets on a roof, but my brother used a strip of plastic on his shed roof and he likes it.

The upside is that plastic is waaaay cheaper than iron, and lets in more light. I'm using something like the following product for the back entrance to the house, although the corrugations are square rather than rounded and it's an opaque white. I'll post a photo once it's finished.
https://sunnyside.co.nz/...nate-roofing-sheets/

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 30, 11:45am

Post #16 of 47 (373 views)
Shortcut
Oops, late to the party! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another gloriously sunny day here - sunniest May since 1929 apparently. The gardens are gasping! We're not used to all this good weather... apparently it's going to be a bumper year for home-grown strawberries, which I suppose is some consolation, even though there will be no Wimbledon tennis extravaganza at which to guzzle them - strawberries and cream are obligatory! The Fiesta food choices sound delicious, but in this weather I just crave salads, so I'll admire and skip.

Congrats on the book, Annael. Digging into ancestry can reveal a lot of interesting things; in your case, material for another book! Excellent. In my case I found that my paternal great-grandparents were first cousins, which I didn't even know was legal then - they married in Cardiff in 1878. The first time I tried to delve into family history, years ago, my mother took me to one side and confessed with great shame that her father was illegitimate. It had hung over her all that time, which seemed so sad. She's dead now; I traced her maternal line and it took me all the way to the north east of Scotland, to Arbroath - it's a pity she couldn't have known that. I think she'd have found it interesting.
Have the best weekend you can, folks - cheers!

Lissuin
Valinor

May 30, 12:15pm

Post #17 of 47 (371 views)
Shortcut
"You are very welcome to stay here if that is your wish," he said. [In reply to] Can't Post

If only! (sigh) But a bowl of that clam chowder would be most appreciated, thanks. Cheers!

Hello, fine Fiesta Friday folk.

During my first foray outside my region in two months now that New Zealand has gone to Level 2, I happened to be passing Rivendell on the way back home and thought of you. How could I not? Heart And it seemed the right thing to do to make a slight detour and share the day. The river, which runs next to Frodo's bedchamber, was quite brown from the heavy rain we'd had the night before but sparkling under a blue sky and sounding for all the world like tra lal lal lallying elves. Only six other visitors and three friendly German Shepherd Alsatians out for a walk were there, a very small number, indeed, for Kaitoke Park on a fine day. I've never had the path all to myself - but then, of course, you were all there as well. Smile

Lord Elrond sends his kindest regards.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 30, 2:03pm

Post #18 of 47 (351 views)
Shortcut
Food!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks or taking care of us, dernwyn, whilst out fearless leader is busy with RL activities.

That stew sounds really good right now. We're having a wonderful cooling-down outside... which is so welcome as I shovel more dirt. I finally wiped out the pile of dirt in my yard; but now I'm leveling off the surface for maximum drainage runoff. I thought I was DONE and ready to apply grass seed; but I need to be careful to pay attention to the whole purpose of doing this; to re-grade the ground to draw rain/snow melt away from the house. The rain I had on Friday showed all the low spots and runoff I've got to fix. So having cooler weather is very welcome. It's been in the 80s all week!

I feel bad for the displaced worms in the dirt. :( The robins in my yard are having a feast during their hatchling season, and them wormies just can't get below ground fast enough. The robins have actually hopped up to about 2 feet from me to get at their victims. *sigh* The drama of nature ;)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear. *eyes monitor* And that goes for all y'all! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

May 30, 2:09pm

Post #19 of 47 (354 views)
Shortcut
it's a rabbit hole all right! [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance I found out that two of my protagonist's sisters died within days of each other. One had just had a baby, and the other sister, who was 10 years younger, was no doubt excited to see her new niece . . . but my best guess is that one of them had already caught something and gave it to the other. Strep, maybe. No antibiotics back then. One of their brothers was lost at sea at the age of 14.

My paternal grandmother was always a bit ashamed of being the daughter of immigrants, and felt my father "married up" when he married my mother, who came from an old Boston family. But we've now connected the paper trail and can prove her mother was descended from Robert the Bruce. I wish grandma had known that.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 2:19pm

Post #20 of 47 (347 views)
Shortcut
Do you make strawberry jam, or preserves? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it's going to be a great year for those!

Had your mother any idea who her father's father was? There's no shame in it, although different generations made a fuss about it. My father's father's father was also illegitimate, as best we can tell - we've figured out he was raised with his uncle's family, and we think his real father was someone that shows up as a sort of "black sheep" in the family. It gets tricky sorting things out.

Arbroath! That's not too far north in Scotland, had you any idea you had Scots ancestry?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 2:25pm

Post #21 of 47 (344 views)
Shortcut
They've left a bit of one of the structures? [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets bowl for chowder* "Happened to be passing Rivendell" - what a wistful thought, don't we all wish we could, and enjoy a peaceful walk with you! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30, 2:30pm

Post #22 of 47 (347 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have the happiest robins in the county! Laugh And the fattest bird-babies!

*warms up the stew* That rain was good, in showing you where more attention was needed. But bother, gramma, you're making my arms ache, just thinking about hauling all that dirt around!

It'll all look lovely once it's completed. Smile Be sure to get some time for yourself this weekend! Can you travel to the shoreline yet?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 30, 2:30pm

Post #23 of 47 (346 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Congratulations! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for you! What a haul of time to get here; but it's so worth it :D And that you've dedicated it to TORn is very classy and so beautiful. *bows deeply* Well Done! Now... excuse me. I have to rush off to another site ;) *high five*

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

May 30, 2:42pm

Post #24 of 47 (345 views)
Shortcut
thank you for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't share my videos of the forest I'm in now with all the Swainson's thrushes singing their lovely upspiraling song, but here's one I found online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ib6ODJt9Q

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 30, 2:52pm

Post #25 of 47 (344 views)
Shortcut
Well Done NZ! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an incredible achievement... and show of leadership by your govt and each & every one of you! I'm so happy for you and more hopeful now than ever that this virus can be challenged, if not conquered, even before finding a vaccine. This is such great news during a time of a lot of heartbreaking challenges. Thank you for this! :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying the enchantment of your home and you weather. I love those mysterious days when there's mist or those crystalline mornings when everything is covered with ice.

But now on to a really important topic. Where's that recipe for your brownies!!!!????!!! :D My home needs to stink good, too!

Have a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.