Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the last week of May reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 26, 2:14pm

Post #1 of 3 (234 views)
Shortcut
It's the last week of May reading thread! Can't Post

This week sees Eid al-Fitr worldwide, Memorial Day here in the US, and two family/friend birthdays for me personally. I can't believe another month has gone by so quickly, but then, it's not as though I've done much more than stay safe, not a bad goal at all.

I'm listening to Bill Bryson's latest third-person book---that is, a book based on science and history, not his own experiences. It's The Body, about, no surprise, the human body. As always, his word choices make what might be dry reading compelling, and his stories about the doctors and scientists behind today's knowledge of the body add an extra dimension to the facts.

Our library has now begun curb-side service, which means several books I requested back in March suddenly became available. Since I was only a chapter into the latest Peter Grant/Ben Aaronovitch novel, False Value, I reluctantly set it aside for a few days and read my library books.

First up was An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good, by Swedish author Helene Tursten. Tursten is known for her Inspector Huss mystery novels, and Huss makes a brief appearance here, but this book is five short stories about Maud, an 88-year-old woman who exploits the age-ism of the people around her to literally get away with murder. I found the stories funny, albeit in a very dark way, but then, I'm not young myself.

Then I read Money in the Morgue, begun by Golden-age mystery writer Ngaio Marsh and completed by Stella Duffy. In this installment of Marsh's Roderick Alleyn series, the Inspector is trying to sniff out an espionage ring in New Zealand during World War II. He finds himself caught up in a complex theft-and-murder plot set in a hospital on the plains west of Christchurch. (Near the site of Rohan, in other words.) I thought one plot device was very much over-used, but Alleyn is always a good viewpoint character and the New Zealand setting---with one token Maori character---was enjoyable.

I enjoyed A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder, first in the Inspector Singh Investigates series by Shamini Flint. Singh is Singapore police detective sent to Kuala Lumpur to make sure a woman accused of murdering her former husband is treated fairly. The setting and the characters were exotic to me and therefore intriguing, but Flint's narrative leaned a bit too far to the litereary for my taste, making for an excruciatingly slow mystery.

So what have you been reading while you, too, stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 26, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 3 (216 views)
Shortcut
I like the sound of that Elderly Lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still ploughing through the adventures of Leaphorn and Chee (reading Hunting Badger at present) but, thanks to your mention last week, I now have two Anne Hillerman books to read when I've finished the others. I'm reading more than usual at the moment, so am working my way through them quite quickly.

Annael
Immortal

May 28, 3:48am

Post #3 of 3 (158 views)
Shortcut
speaking of Ngaio Marsh [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading some of her earlier works. This week it was Artists in Crime, which I had read before, and Death in White Tie, which I had not. Both feature the courtship of Agatha Troy by Roderick Alleyn, and I have to say, he was surprisingly awkward and stupid about it - running away at the slightest provocation one moment and then overwhelming Troy with his neediness the next. My ex behaved pretty much the same way during our courtship, come to think of it, so perhaps that's why I found myself wishing Troy would have said "no."

Although I do like their relationship in the later books.

I've just started The Lies of Locke Lamora, which has often been recommended here, and will report back on that next week.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on May 28, 4:02am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.