Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws open door!!* How about a bit of Fiesta Friday!? :D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 8:52pm

Post #1 of 35 (244 views)
Shortcut
*Throws open door!!* How about a bit of Fiesta Friday!? :D Can't Post

Welcome to Fiesta Friday!

Things are a little nuts around here today, but we still get thirsty!!! I found the hidden set of keys and have the glasses chilling... so what can I get you to drink? Give us a shout out of what your week has done to you and what you plan to do this weekend!

I've been working in the yard and having fun watching the river flow by... in mid-Michigan... that's all we are right now!! FLOWING RIVERS! Thankfully, my home is high and dry; but the drama has been (and still is) a very close call.

Have a great weekend everyone!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 22, 8:55pm)

Auxerre
Rivendell

May 22, 9:15pm

Post #2 of 35 (193 views)
Shortcut
A friend arrives precisely when she means to! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well hello there, gramma dear Heart

I'm so relieved to hear that your home is not affected by the flooding. You, your hobbit hole, and your animals were the first thing I thought of when I heard the news! Very thankful you're doing well, and I hope that continues.

Additionally, I stopped by to see if anyone had posted about Elijah's baby, or is that not allowed? If it's not allowed, then I apologize. I'm new around these parts, heh heh..... I listened to Elijah's "interview" with Gary Whitta on Gary's Animal Talking show (via YouTube), and Elijah mentioned the baby being born last September. Then I happened to see a photo of him carrying a baby that looked to be about the size one would expect a baby born in September to be. It seems that they are wanting to keep the details private, which I greatly respect, but I thought it would be of interest to you, given our history :-)

Is it allowed to ask someone to DM you? If not, I'm sorry. I'm new around these parts....oh, wait, I already used that one. Anyway, if it's allowed, then gramma, can you DM me so we can exchange contact details?

I guess I should order a drink - let's see, how about a Frodo-ccino, in honor of our beloved hobbit. Much love to you, gramma, and happy weekend to everybody!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22, 9:23pm

Post #3 of 35 (194 views)
Shortcut
*looks around* [In reply to] Can't Post

Quiet in here today, isn't it! Maybe they're all at the parks - our local state beach closed its gate early, it had already reached maximum capacity (which, at present, is half-full).

Might I have something cheerful - maybe a peach smoothie, please, gramma? I've been getting bad news about relatives, friends, and friends' families this past week. What hurts most is that they must be alone when they're in the hospitals. Unsure

You're not all that far from the floods! The land is so flat out your way, great for farming but too easily overwashed - especially when dams break! What's the latest word?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 35 (188 views)
Shortcut
*squee on many levels!* HI!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

2 squees! One for Elijah's little one and one for you!!! Such exciting news :) It's always great to hear when our LotR peeps are doing so well :D

I hope all is going great with you, too! It always makes my day to see familiar faces come out from their adventures. *massive hug*

I'm so happy to see you... and yes, I'll DM you immediately, if not sooner!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 22, 9:34pm

Post #5 of 35 (188 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear about the flooding risk, gramma - [In reply to] Can't Post

and the worrying times for people you know, Dernwyn. I hope for a positive outcome for both scenarios! Greetings, Auxerre! Where I am we are too dry, not too wet. Scotland is getting everyone's share of the rain, I think. It's been very windy here today and it's almost like a green autumn, so many fresh new leaves have been ripped from the trees and blown along the roads.

Two choices for tonight's juke box, I think; for those with too much rain, America's 'Horse with no name' and for those with not enough, 'Rain, beautiful rain' by Ladysmith Black Mambazo! I'm typing this at bed-time, so no drinks for me, thanks. Cheers, nevertheless! Stay safe and have the best weekend you can have in the circumstances.

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on May 22, 9:36pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 9:51pm

Post #6 of 35 (184 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I'm sorry about the illnesses [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't is incredible that they'd all be affected about the same period of time? So, so sad to be sick and not able to have family/friends around. Prayers that they'll recover quickly and be able to come home soon.

The flooding has receded a bit already in the immediate area around me; but those towns near the 2 collapsed dams will be a long time recovery. Essentially, 3 large rivers have converged. One, the Tittabawassee, has Dow Chemical on its shore. Among other things, Dow processed Agent Orange during the Vietnam War, and the waters are highly polluted. They've been trying to clean the river for 15 years. So all those waters are everywhere now. There's more rain coming over this weekend, so I don't think those downstream towns are safe yet.
I hope you have a restful weekend, m'dear. Best thoughts to your friends and family. YOU STAY SAFE!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 22, 9:51pm

Post #7 of 35 (188 views)
Shortcut
Something warming, please barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you missed the worst of the flooding, gramma! Down here it's been cold air and blue skies for a long time now. Finally, we're due for rain on Sunday night - good timing too, as the builder has finally got my home waterproof. :) (I figured while I'm still working from home, I could get someone in for lots of jobs, including some long-standing leaks.)

While it's cold, the mountain is almost bare of snow - and there's none in the forecast. An odd season, overall.

But happy days: it's tamarillo season (my favourite fruit). It lasts for only a couple of months and I'm currently eating myself silly on them.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 9:54pm

Post #8 of 35 (183 views)
Shortcut
That's a strong wind! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! To rip new leaves from the trees when you'd think they're the heartiness is incredible! Great choices of music :D

Here's something for your breakfast when you get up ;) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 35 (181 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that about the Dow Chemical plant - it's going to be a terrible cleanup job, and I feel so badly for those downstream!

One brother-in-law is back home after a weird stomach ailment, fortunately he could FaceTime with family while he was being treated. Still waiting to hear the latest on the others...

What a nice thick smoothie, gramma, thank you! Rain here tomorrow, so a bit of "sunshine" will be nice.

You and your furry friends stay dry!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 35 (179 views)
Shortcut
Greetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only been...uh, about ten months since you were last here? Seems like yesterday!

So Elijah has his own little "hobbit" now. Hard to believe it's been so long since the movies!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22, 10:10pm

Post #11 of 35 (179 views)
Shortcut
oooo! Tammies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I threw a little Baileys in there for ya! And here's some Tammie-Jam to get you through the winter!

I'm so glad you got your home a cozy against the weather just in time. What a great idea to take advantage of your time at home. How are you coming along with that? NZ is doing such a great job keeping this virus in check.

Strange that your mountains don't have snow. Do you think it's going to be a dryer year? That's what's going on around here, despite the flooding. It's all or nothing at all here!

I hope you have a GREAT weekend!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22, 10:10pm

Post #12 of 35 (178 views)
Shortcut
That's not good [In reply to] Can't Post

about the leaves being blown off, that's strong wind! How is your garden faring? Have you finished off the bara brith, yet?

I'd love for someone to figure out a way to drain the heavy rains from over-sogged areas to dry places that could use it!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22, 10:13pm

Post #13 of 35 (178 views)
Shortcut
Tamarillos? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never had one - they must be delicious, if you're binging on them! Laugh

Good timing indeed for the waterproofing to finish. Now to find out, if he found all the leaks!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 23, 12:21am

Post #14 of 35 (172 views)
Shortcut
It's usually wet at this time of year [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think it's going to be a dryer year?

...but we have droughts in the north and east of the North Island and even Taranaki - where it's either sunny or properly raining, with little in between - had half its usual rain for April. If we don't get our usual wet winter and spring, summer is going to be incredibly difficult.

Things are going pretty well now that we're in alert level 2. All stores are open (with a limit on numbers and requirements for social distancing) and pubs and bars opened on Thursday (but no dancing or standing at the bar allowed), so life is feeling more like usual. We had four days in a row with no new Covid cases this week and there's just one person still in hospital, so we might drop to alert level one much sooner than I had anticipated. Until then, my team will still be working from home - and I'm kinda used to it by now.

Oooh Bailey's - it's like you know me! CoolHeart

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 23, 12:24am

Post #15 of 35 (170 views)
Shortcut
Classic tamarillos are quite tart. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a yellow version that's meant to be less tart but I grew up with the red ones and OMG they're so good. The trees, however, are delicate, finicky things - I've gone through at least half a dozen in my garden; they seem to curl up their toes if you merely look at them wrong. Frustrating things.

I'm getting another sapling for spring...

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 23, 12:48am

Post #16 of 35 (167 views)
Shortcut
Very glad you are high and dry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Pickle going to the top your dirt hill. Prophetic dog, that one.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 23, 12:54am

Post #17 of 35 (165 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was outside most of the afternoon, soaking in the warmth. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it made me realize the limitations of hybrid paper/cloth masks in the summer. The paper will get sticky if your face gets sweaty. But, I've seen a local restaurant selling cloth masks at a good price, so I don't have to venture far for a remedy.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 23, 12:58am

Post #18 of 35 (163 views)
Shortcut
You got me thinking--opposite of Murphy's Law? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Finally, we're due for rain on Sunday night - good timing too, as the builder has finally got my home waterproof. :)

Well, maybe not the exact opposite of "if something can go wrong, it will," but maybe it is in sentiment. Kudos for the great timing, and enjoy the rain.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23, 1:03am

Post #19 of 35 (160 views)
Shortcut
4 days with no new covids? [In reply to] Can't Post

And down to 1 in the hospital. That's truly wonderful :D It took hard work and everyone cooperating. *high five* WELL DONE!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23, 1:04am

Post #20 of 35 (157 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* That's true!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

May 23, 1:07am

Post #21 of 35 (164 views)
Shortcut
Holiday weekend woo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hullo! Back from an accidental month hiatus. Hope you've been staying dry and safe, gramma.

All's well as can be here. After over 2 months away, my girlfriend and I have decided to attempt a safe version of physically reuniting for a couple of weeks at my apartment. Roommates are okay with it--all of us combined only go in public every 2 weeks to the store, so we felt the risk was quite minimal overall. Her mental health hasn't been good at all lately, so I hope this helps. I've struggled to decide whether this is okay to do, but we'll do it as safely as possible. LA county isn't seeing a decline in cases like everyone hoped for (which makes the accelerated reopening plans somewhat baffling to me, personally).

Still working on maintaining a healthy routine. It's so easy with this job not to leave my apartment for days! Aside from walks around the block, I've only been to the grocery store and back in over 2 months. I think we'll be taking my girlfriend's car for a nice little drive when she's settled here.

Hope everyone is staying safe!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23, 1:09am

Post #22 of 35 (165 views)
Shortcut
Jealous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been inside in a library, except for three times when I stepped outside to deliver Chromebooks, and gotta admit I went out a bit early to wait for the parents so I could enjoy some of that pleasant sunshine!

I've got cloth masks, made by a friend who found a trove of calico and gingham. I like that they can be tossed in with the laundry! Be sure to get enough so you always have one on hand while the others are being washed.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23, 1:20am

Post #23 of 35 (159 views)
Shortcut
Accidental? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the time just sort of pass you by? I know people are having a hard time just remembering what day it is!

As long as your girlfriend has been taking precautions, you should be okay. I've got two sisters-in-law and their husbands who have been extremely cautious, so that they can alternate visiting and staying with Mom-in-law two weekends a month.

I'm amazed you've been able to last two weeks before having to stock up! I'm out weekly for milk and fresh veggies. (Love the 6 am shopping time for seniors.)

A drive in the car would probably do both of you a world of good! And if there's a little-used outdoors area anywhere, see if you can take a walk and maybe even picnic. Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 23, 2:35am

Post #24 of 35 (137 views)
Shortcut
Mon Dieu!! Sorry, sorry, sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushBlushBlush

Things are indeed crazy, especially with me. This is the weekend of our mega-estate sale at my mom's old house (and my old house) and I'm in charge of practically everything because my brother/sil got their PPP loan for their business, business is picking up (yay), they're bringing their employees back in, and that's understandibley taking up all of their time. So, I honestly didn't realize it was Friday. CrazyBlush

Come Monday I'll tend to Feedback feedback, etc. For now, I'm relaxing with a glass of wine before the maelstrom begins tomorrow a.m.!

Bless you, gramma, for unlocking the bar!!! SmileHeartSmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23, 3:18am

Post #25 of 35 (125 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we all figured you were going crazy with that house-cleaning! Laugh No worries, it's been a bit quiet around here lately. And kudos to gramma for grabbing the bar keys. Heart

And yes, get a good night's sleep, it's going to be insane for you tomorrow, you might want to take that wine with you! Wink

Sooo glad the estate sale can be done, AND that their PPP loan went through, what a relief for them and their employees!

*HUGE hugs!*

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.