Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Amazon's Lord of the Rings has a Wikipedia page

Chen G.
Rohan

May 3, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 16 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Amazon's Lord of the Rings has a Wikipedia page Can't Post

Contributed to by yours truly, I'm linking an archived version given that it tends to change (mostly reverting to a more laconic version) due to some hoity-toity Wikipedia rules.

Nevertheless, the piece (if I may say so myself) does offer quite a comprehensive compendium of information on the show as we know it so far. I've also made sure its cross-linked with other wikipedia articles on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(TV_series)&oldid=954632630

Main takeaways:
1. There is substantial (but not yet overwhelming) evidence that the show will be a prequel in the same cinematic universe as the WingNut film movies.
2. According to the map, the show will begin no soon than SA 750, and will probably focus on the Forging of the Great Rings and the subsequent War of Sauron and the Elves, first.
3. Whether later events, such as the Akallabeth and Last Alliance, will appear is uncertain, as they are removed from Sauron's attack on Eriador by over three Numenorean lifetimes.
4. The actual roles played by the cast, the names of the characters and even the name of the show itself, are all unconfirmed and potentially tentative.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 3, 2:24pm)

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 5, 12:15pm

Post #2 of 16 (1038 views)
Shortcut
You created it? Cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Chen G.
Rohan

May 5, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 16 (1021 views)
Shortcut
I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

I contributed to it. Some of my contributions got reverted - Wikipedia can be a very pedantic place, especially with its rules against "original research." Even for conclusions that were readily appearant, such as the timeframe of the map, I had to "cite reliable sources" rather than just point it out.

Basically I added a bit of background on TV project - the history of Middle Earth on TV is quite different to its history on film - and information about the premise, which to my mind is the point of the whole article.

Mari D.
Rivendell

May 5, 5:34pm

Post #4 of 16 (1005 views)
Shortcut
I saw the link to it over on Reddit ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... where I don't have an account, though, so I'll take this opportunity to let you know that I was impressed by the diligence with which the article was put together. I appreciate it when people create work of quality, as it enriches life for the rest of us. :-) Thanks and kudos for your contribution!

Chen G.
Rohan

May 5, 6:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (987 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I just think its important [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, compendia of information on the show had been "everything we know so far" on news/movie internet website, and while they do a good job, they're not quite as robust as this page turned out to be.

I think its significant that the show already has a Wiki page (although some are wanting to merge into "Middle-Earth in film", which coincidentally I've done massive amounts of work on) and it will help people trying to find out on the show in the times to come.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 6, 6:08am

Post #6 of 16 (925 views)
Shortcut
Oh ok sorry // [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

May 21, 3:17pm

Post #7 of 16 (437 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been doing my part trying to contribute to the existing sub-sections about the series on several other LOTR Wiki pages, but I'm glad there's now an official page that gets the job done. Good work!

Chen G.
Rohan

May 21, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 16 (425 views)
Shortcut
The issue is, there's a lot stuff that the moderators removed [In reply to] Can't Post

mostly for pedantic reasons. Appearantly, one of my sources isn't reliable, even though all it does is put two and two together ("Ost-in-Edhil is there so the map must be between 750-1697") so any mention of the timeframe of the story (which in my mind is the biggest takeaway from the article) had been removed.

Likewise, there were some quite revealing character descriptions that surfaces online which I included, which were removed. Pity.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 22, 1:04pm

Post #9 of 16 (339 views)
Shortcut
What "revealing character descriptions" have you seen that are from a reliable source? [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly have not seen any, and would have removed that as well if I were a moderator.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Chen G.
Rohan

May 22, 5:59pm

Post #10 of 16 (322 views)
Shortcut
The Observer had a few descriptions [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm personally am weary of treating any journalistic source as fact, but if presented with the right reservations, I don't why not to have it there.

https://observer.com/2019/11/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series-cast-characters-details-amazon/

We have a description of Beldor as

an optimistic, intelligent and political savvy protagonist who is nonetheless more reserved than his on-screen counterparts. Beldor will often be the straight-man in pairings with more out-sized personalities and, while young, will possess a gravitas that belies a character who could be far older.

Tyra:

a wide-eye characterful young teenage woman with a strength and maturity beyond her years. Tyra will provide a mix of dramatic and comedic elements.

Oren:

a villain who can also evoke a deep sense of pathos built around a wounded and fallen nobility. Though the character is middle-aged, Oren will possess a certain degree of physicality and project a sense of timelessness.

Eldien:

a complex, unique and formidable young woman in her mid-20s who possesses an eternal quality and a strong physical component.

And a whole host of others:

Other series regulars may include Neldor, a similar archetype as Beldor; Brac, the irascible and cantankerous half of a dramatic duo; Eira, a warm and maternal woman; Aric, a charismatic character with a strong physical role; Calenon, a ruggedly-handsome and brooding soldier hero; Loda, an earthy man who doesn’t give his feelings away easily; Kari, a self-sufficient single mother and village healer with a secret; Hamson, a kind and loving family man with health issues; and Cole, a charismatic but mercurial young man who has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Multiple characters are described as effectivelly ageless, and while the description of Oren smacks of Sauron (especially the "wounded nobility" bit) and seems to fall into place with reports that the show will cover "Sauron's slow rise to power", the others seem to be Elves. Eldien strikes me as the Galadriel part, later cast (again, reportedly) as Morfydd Clark.

Personally, I'm more interested in giving the article some feel for the timeframe. The map makes the time period quite obvious but since Wikipedia editors aren't supposed to make deductions, I've cited a source that did the (quite inescapable) deduction for me, and it was still turned down.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 22, 6:06pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 22, 6:11pm

Post #11 of 16 (311 views)
Shortcut
As far as I am concerned, those are meaningless, and certainly not worthy of inclusion [In reply to] Can't Post

If I am wrong and they turn out to be at all accurate, I won't be watching!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Chen G.
Rohan

May 22, 6:16pm

Post #12 of 16 (308 views)
Shortcut
I don't disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

but I always lean in favour of maximum informativeness, as long as the details are presented with the appropriate degree of reservation.

As long as it says "possibly" or something to that effect, which the article on The Observer states for itself, I'm all for putting it in there.

At the end of the day, there's scarce little we actually know about this show AS A FACT. Do we really have confirmation that Aramayo is the actual lead, or that Clark is Galadriel? Not really, no; its about on-par with these character descriptions, reliability-wise.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 22, 6:18pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

May 22, 6:18pm

Post #13 of 16 (306 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

....why?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 22, 6:20pm

Post #14 of 16 (301 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly can't argue with transparency!

The Hall of Fire

Chen G.
Rohan

May 22, 6:31pm

Post #15 of 16 (300 views)
Shortcut
I should also add [In reply to] Can't Post

The number of characters described by the Observer lines up nicely with the number of cast members initially announced by Amazon, and one may or may not take that as some confirmation for the veracity of its claims.

We do know that the role of Eldien was one of the roles in the auditions (where Chloe Bremner auditioned and appearantly didn't pass) so there's also that.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on May 22, 6:32pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

May 24, 5:17pm

Post #16 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
Eldien wasn't the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

There were also audition tapes for Beldor, Aric, Loda, Kari and Hamson.

(This post was edited by Thor 'n' Oakenshield on May 24, 5:18pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.