Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the sweet-tooth reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 19, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 6 (523 views)
Shortcut
It's the sweet-tooth reading thread! Can't Post

Since we've been isolated since March, we went to see part of the family that's also been isolated since March, and I over-indulged in all the sweet things we don't keep at our own home. Most of them were baked by my daughter-in-law and granddaughter, who were amazing bakers even before they needed something to do at home. They're now nurturing a jar of sourdough starter named Arnold. Laugh

I'm almost finished listening to Anne Hillerman's The Tale Teller, a Leaphorn, Chee, and Manuelito mystery. As always, each of our detectives gets hold of a separate piece of a puzzle, which then comes together at the end of the story. I noticed how Hillerman has an outsider, an FBI agent, comment to Bernie how all the cases she's investigated in Navajo country turn out to be interconnected. Gee, funniest thing!

On paper, I've just started False Value, the newest Ben Aaronovitch/Peter Grant novel. In this installment, Peter has left the London police and gone to work security at a massive computer gaming company. As always, the fan references come thick and fast. For example, the company's titles and structure draw heavily on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This is one of those books I try to read slowly, so I can enjoy it all the more.

So what have you been reading as you, I hope, stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

May 19, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 6 (491 views)
Shortcut
on a Ngaio Marsh kick [In reply to] Can't Post

Realized I had never read her first & second Roderick Alleyn books as well as several others, so I downloaded a few on my Fire and ordered some others from the local indie bookstore (which had an enticing jigsaw puzzle in the window when I went to pick up, so I said "throw that in there too!"). Apparently her very first Alleyn novel was just for fun, to see if she could write a detective novel. Yes, she could, and her specialty is the impossible murder. As one review said, she also is able to create a large cast of individual characters so vividly that you're never confused about who is who. Most enjoyable reading.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 20, 11:08am

Post #3 of 6 (439 views)
Shortcut
Lily, thankyouthankyouthankyou! [In reply to] Can't Post

I visited this thread to say I was re-reading my collection of Leaphorn and Chee books at the moment, with a twinge of sadness that Tony Hillerman was no longer with us. I had no idea the torch had been taken up by his daughter. I must track down this book! I think Tony Hillerman must have been a gentleman of the old sort. After I'd discovered his books (via an old interest in a young Lou Diamond Phillips who played Chee in a couple of dramatisations) I found his address and wrote to Hillerman and he wrote back, in his own hand, with some interesting comments on what I'd said. I treasure the letter.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 20, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 6 (420 views)
Shortcut
The Chilling Killing Wind [In reply to] Can't Post

I've finished this fine supernatural thriller from local author Kelly Sedinger and was delighted to see that he included a shout out to my spouse (who is a co-worker of his) in the author's note in the back. She can kid Kelly about misspelling her (our) last name! Kelly himself took the photograph that was used for the cover. It was taken in Buffalo's Forest Lawn Cemetery.

The Chilling Killing Wind

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 20, 2:21pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 20, 2:55pm

Post #5 of 6 (413 views)
Shortcut
Anne Hillerman... [In reply to] Can't Post

...has now done five books in the series, with Bernie Manuelito as the viewpoint character. I feel her writing is a bit flat at times, but perhaps I simply have an over-sensitive "ear". The stories are good and I can believe the characters are the same ones from the Tony Hillerman books.

Speaking of Tony, I heard him speak a couple of times and I agree, he was a gentleman of the old sort. I'd treasure that letter, too!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 20, 4:20pm

Post #6 of 6 (405 views)
Shortcut
I've looked at some reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

and there are some mixed opinions, but I've ordered Spider Woman's Daughter and Song of the Lion (Rock with Wings was out of stock) and will see if there is still that sublime sense of place and cultural awareness that was part of the Hillerman magic. Thanks - again - for the heads-up!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.