Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

May 16, 7:02pm

Post #26 of 48 (470 views)
Shortcut
It's actually 'bara brith', a Welsh recipe. [In reply to] Can't Post

You soak 1lb mixed dried fruit and 4oz soft brown sugar in half a pint of warm milkless tea until plump (half a day or overnight), then stir in 1lb self-raising flour, 2 tsp mixed spice, a pinch of salt, 2 tblsp marmalade with a beaten egg and milk to make 125ml. Mix well - the mixture is quite stiff - and dollop into 2 x 1lb loaf tins (I line the bottoms with baking parchment to make removal easier). Bake in a moderate oven - Gas mk 3 / 160-170 C / 325F - for about 1 1/4 hours. The recipe says 1 3/4 but the shorter time works fine in my oven. Cool on a wire rack. I like it best spread with butter. It's quite solid, more of a loaf than a cake. Keeps quite well too.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16, 9:33pm

Post #27 of 48 (463 views)
Shortcut
Breathtaking pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing those, Altaira. I'd seen a few before, but most were new to me.

Here we are on Level 2, with people celebrating their renewed ability to dine out, go to the hairdresser, etc, while I've found that my first outing won't be one I'd expected :) I was due for a dental check-up, but had planned to leave it a couple more weeks, just to see how things were going post-lockdown. But matters were taken out of my hands when I broke a tooth this week! So I've made the earliest appointment I could get with my dentist, and will be going this week. I'm sure they'll be very careful re infection risks, and given the very, very small numbers of Covid19 cases here the risks of that infection are low. It'll still feel strange, though - in the last six weeks, I've been no further than five km from home, and all of that has been by walking (or running).

In the mean time, since it's a front tooth I'm not really fit for public exposure. It's also a bit tricky to eat, and kissing is off the agenda :) These little things teach us patience, though... And I should add that the tooth is not actually hurting.

A mix of sunny days and a couple of bleak ones (we had the fire going) this week. The tomato plants are out, the broad bean seeds are planted. Our region has quite a serious water shortage, but our rain water tank is still fairly full, so we're okay, but I'd love to see some decent rain for our neighbours' sakes, and for the wider region. Though I must confess I'm loving these golden days that feel more like autumn than early winter. We need soem Camelot weather! Rain at right and golden days.

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 17, 12:39am

Post #28 of 48 (439 views)
Shortcut
I Scream [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Toilet paper... fine. Hand sanitizer... understandable. BUT NOT ICE CREAM!!! *swoon*

If there's one thing we've had plenty of, it's ice cream. I should know, I've been stocking it!

#FidelityToTolkien

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 3:15am

Post #29 of 48 (431 views)
Shortcut
*ouch* [In reply to] Can't Post

I once had a tooth break apart but at least it was a molar. Good luck with eating! At least the tooth waited until you were out of lockdown and you can get it sorted fairly quickly.

I finally had my first post-lockdown haircut this morning. If I ruffled my hair, I could have fit in as another member of Bon Jovi - definitely rocking an '80s hair-metal vibe. I feel more myself now. Smile

I'm being a tiny bit selfish and hoping the rain holds off for a few more days: I'm getting long-standing leaks in my house sorted, and currently there are two external holes where metal ... thingies (I know little building terminology) had rusted away at the back, and new ones are currently being made. If they could be fitted before we have another rainfall, I'd be stoked. (The builder's currently putting in new struts and boards in the rotted-out corner of my laundry - I can smell hot rimu.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

May 17, 8:46am

Post #30 of 48 (427 views)
Shortcut
He has been fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's probably felt like an extended school holiday to him, as he is used to the rhythm of a school year.
And I have returned to work gradually over the last few weeks, which is another thing he is used to.
One new case today, and no new cases over the two days previously, so fingers crossed.

Starling
Half-elven

May 17, 8:49am

Post #31 of 48 (427 views)
Shortcut
A tiki tour! [In reply to] Can't Post

How lovely. Smile
It's tough out there for businesses and I imagine it will be a real struggle for some time.
I feel very fortunate to be in the position I'm in.

Starling
Half-elven

May 17, 8:53am

Post #32 of 48 (424 views)
Shortcut
It was just a short walk today [In reply to] Can't Post

Midgey is getting on in years, and is not always up for going on an adventure. So we just stuck close to home this morning, after a good frost. Next time...

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:17pm

Post #33 of 48 (371 views)
Shortcut
A walk in the park! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should do both you and Midgey a world of good. Good luck with the school opening!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:26pm

Post #34 of 48 (371 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I googled images of Dawson's Falls and the Goblin Forest, and Wow! What beautiful and fun places to have so close by (not that Mt. Taranaki isn't Wink). Lucky you! And, to finish everything off with a hokey pokey! Let's just say I'm Goblin Forest green with envy!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 17, 9:27pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:33pm

Post #35 of 48 (371 views)
Shortcut
What a little cutie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that picture! It gave me a big smile. Smile

There's a barred owl nest web cam on Cornell University's All About Birds site that I watch each season, but all the little ones have fledged. We don't have barred owls in Colorado, so that's as close as I can get.

I hope you get your milkshake soon!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:48pm

Post #36 of 48 (369 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Great progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a look at the pictures in your Walk to Rivendell post. The before and after pics really show how much work you did. I'm amazed! It really looks great. You must be so proud of how nice it looks now under that tree, and appreciate the better drainage. I imagine the brick refacing will look just as impressive once you're done. Smile

Have a great rest of your weekend, and I hope the get-together with the grandson works out! Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 9:52pm

Post #37 of 48 (370 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the tooth. Frown At least it was civilized enough to wait until you could make an appointment with the dentist, and good that you can get there this week. Until then, I wish you and Mr. Kimi those Camelot days!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17, 10:10pm

Post #38 of 48 (368 views)
Shortcut
That sounds great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can picture much of it from our jaunt last year :) I think we'd better put Dawson's Falls on the list for next time we come (we did once go there, so long ago that it was pre-TORn).

I do hope lots of your excellent restaurants and similar businesses survive. At least your area isn't as dependent on overseas tourism as some.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17, 10:15pm

Post #39 of 48 (368 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, those metal thingies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dodgy things, those. :) I hope you get your patching up done asap.

Yes, if the tooth had snapped right at the beginning of lockdown it would've been a major hassle! Not bad enough to qualify as an emergency, but bad enough to be a real inconvenience.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17, 10:16pm

Post #40 of 48 (366 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm counting down the days :) It certainly would have been a lot more of a nuisance if it had happened earlier.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 17, 10:23pm

Post #41 of 48 (373 views)
Shortcut
I'll post some pics here [In reply to] Can't Post

of my walk in the Goblin Forest.

https://i.imgur.com/qTvoLo0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gKaKR5Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QD3bczX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/meV6UtI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xylwa2C.jpg

It's quite an evocative place, with the moss-heavy tree limbs and enormous roots above the ground. The forest is at a certain elevation and there are a few points around the mountain where it can be accessed.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 17, 10:23pm)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

May 17, 11:18pm

Post #42 of 48 (364 views)
Shortcut
it's good to be back!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoyed your time in the mountains!! how do the colorado rockies compare to the alberta rockies? I've spent much time in our alberta rockies but my only time in colorado was a short layover in the denver airport

the past week has been busy busy - i worked every day of the week. but it's also been good, as it means i am out of the house and seeing new people every day (i'm a care aid for home care). I also got a roughly 3/4 time position for the rest of the summer!!! i don't mind working casual, especially when there is lots to pick up, but having a set schedule will definitely make planning easier!

my sister and i were absolutely thrilled that our bible study has started meeting again - we have made a tradition of meeting around a campfire in the summer months and it is finally (barely) warm enough to do that again while still maintaining an appropriate 6 ft between everyone. unfortunately that meant we couldnt really sit close enough to the fire to feel the heatUnsure but it was lovely to get out of the house and see our friends in person again

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18, 12:18am

Post #43 of 48 (357 views)
Shortcut
What a great party :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I'm so happy it went so well and everyone had so much fun! Candles, hats and Ice Cream! PERFECT!

I saw Otaku's link a little while ago... hence my day has been spent hanging out with Andy ;) I haven't gotten as far into it as I'd like, but now I can cut out a day and just go nuts! I do still have lots of trouble with internet loading. Not always, but more often than not. It's nothing to just sit and look at the screen waiting for something to finish for 15-30 seconds. It doesn't sound like a lot, but with nearly every time you hit send or open... it gets maddening. I also make sure to highlight and copy my posts before I send them in case it gets dumped.

Getting your trash cans settled and out of the wind is going to be so nice. Even when you pull up in the car... having that all organized and "finished" is going to be so sweet :D I hope the weather stays good for you, too. We've got a couple of days of heavy raid today (Sunday) and tomorrow, so I'm anxious to see if my partial drainage project works! Have a great weekend... WEEK!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 18, 12:19am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18, 12:23am

Post #44 of 48 (357 views)
Shortcut
*goosebumps & jaw-dropping* Oh man... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are incredible pics! The colouring is very evocative and the other-worldly look of everything is incredible! Well Done! I WANNA GO THERE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18, 12:13pm

Post #45 of 48 (302 views)
Shortcut
*high five* Priorities :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18, 12:21pm

Post #46 of 48 (305 views)
Shortcut
Oh Kimi, No! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not your tooth! Woman... will you ever get a bre... I mean... you know what I mean. This just isn't fair! You've followed all the rules, and here you get another hurdle to jump. I'm so sorry. Although, the news of NZ's progress with the virus is outstanding! It will be nice for you to feel cautiously freer to go out; but the first outing NOT be to the dentist would have been nice ;)
Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19, 1:58am

Post #47 of 48 (273 views)
Shortcut
It could be worse [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do appreciate your kind sympathy! Yes, hanging in there (and hoping the tooth does, too...)

Yes, succeeding days of no new cases are hugely encouraging here. Fingers firmly crossed that the good news continues when enough time has elapsed for the easing of lockdown to have a potential effect.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19, 11:50am

Post #48 of 48 (237 views)
Shortcut
Schedules are a comfort... especially now [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you have work for the summer that sounds like you'll enjoy. Being able to plan around work hours is a very good thing!! :D And meeting around a campfire also sounds so great. Hopefully those meetings won't be too windy where you're fighting the drift of the smoke ;) I think you're in for a very great summer :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.