Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2020, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 48 (764 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta! Can't Post

Hello, hello, hello, and welcome to another Spring Fiesta!

Did all you moms out there have a good Mother's Day last weekend? We were up at an Air BnB house in the beautiful Colorado mountains with family celebrating the high school graduation of my niece and nephew. In place of a traditional ceremony they let them parade through the gym one-by-one yesterday, in caps and gowns, with each kids' parents allowed in to take pictures. They massively excited and didn't seem to care at all that it wasn't a traditional ceremony. Smile

How about you? What were you up to this past week, and what plans do you have for the weekend?

Today's little treat is a feast for your eyes! Here are the best pictures of 2019 from Insider, and The Atlantic. Here's a preview of a pic from The Atlantic. Enjoy!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us one of your favs!

Have an amazing weekend, everyone!!! CoolHeartLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 15 2020, 4:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2020, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 48 (698 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to the graduates! [In reply to] Can't Post

Schools will have to be quite creative this year, but the kids in general seem so resilient! I'm glad you were able to celebrate together. Heart

Might I have an iced mocha? This is going to be a great weekend to get outside! I'm clearing off a section of an old flowerbed near my driveway to put in some pavers for a sturdy place to put my trash and recycling cans.

And tomorrow morning we're having a Zoom session with hubby's siblings and mother, a sort of birthday get-together. His youngest sister and brother were born on the same day, 3 years apart!

That's an actual buffalo photo? Incredible how photographers manage to do things like this! I'll have fun looking at the pics after work today. Thanks, Altaira!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2020, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 48 (691 views)
Shortcut
Hey, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a great outdoor project you have planned, and the meeting sounds like a wonderful way to help celebrate a birthday. It *is* an actual buffalo. So may of the pictures are so amazing. I love looking through them, and those at other sites as well.
Don't work too hard, and enjoy the weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2020, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 48 (688 views)
Shortcut
Never! [In reply to] Can't Post

Work hard, that is! Wink I also plan to sit in the sun and do some reading while watching the birds and turkeys at our feeders.

I hope you have a fun weekend!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 15 2020, 7:01pm

Post #5 of 48 (681 views)
Shortcut
What wonderful photographs! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that capturing the perfect shot demands everything from years of planning, to just being in the right place at the right time. Remarkable! I'm glad the graduation idea worked; it's strange for all the young folk going through the stages of their education and not being able to do what they'd normally do. My younger grandson will move from Infant to Junior school in September (he'll be 8 in November) and I'm hoping he has the chance to go back to the Infant School even if just for a short while, to say goodbye to it properly. His brother's already at the Junior school so it's not completely strange to him, at least.

I'm drinking tea tonight, and eating home-made fruit loaf - comfort food! Not much has really changed here this week; it's still wise to be cautious, despite some small additional freedoms being granted, and some people being expected to go back to work. we could really do with some rain now, but the good weather is better for people who can get out and about, and even for those still confined to their homes and gardens for safety's sake.
Have a good weekend, however you spend it - cheers!

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2020, 7:08pm

Post #6 of 48 (676 views)
Shortcut
I love looking at them [In reply to] Can't Post

It always lifts my spirits, so I'm glad they lifted yours too! Smile

It would be perfect if they let your younger grandson visit with his previous classmates. Do they usually have a ceremony for that transition?

Sounds like a good weekend to get out in the garden! Enjoy your yummy comfort food and have a good one!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 15 2020, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 48 (670 views)
Shortcut
They don't have a particular 'moving up' ceremony [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's a lovely school with great staff. Built in the 30s, it has a central quadrangle rather like a walled garden, in which they have an aviary and rabbits. He's been very happy there. Not all his schoolmates will go on to the Junior, as there's another school in the town to which children might go, depending on where they live, so yes - I'm hoping they can all get together at some point before the summer break.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 15 2020, 7:21pm

Post #8 of 48 (672 views)
Shortcut
Cool photos, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

The army ants are both fascinating and creepy. That golden eagle shot deserves many awards. I thought it was pure illustration and was amazed to read it was real.

I'm about to spend an hour reading in the park and getting used to open space again--75 F here, sunny, perfect, and want to be outside. Then joining a Google hangout with a couple of friends with whom I normally get together in person this time of year for outdoor drinks to celebrate the arrival of spring. We'll see how the virtual substitute works.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2020, 7:29pm

Post #9 of 48 (667 views)
Shortcut
Great way to spend the afternoon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially with such perfect weather.

What a nice tradition to have with your friends. Here's hoping it's almost as good as the real thing. Who knows, it might be the start of another tradition! Smile

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2020, 9:50pm

Post #10 of 48 (664 views)
Shortcut
I have a class of 2 returning to school [In reply to] Can't Post

Schools reopen properly on Monday.
I have been at school for the last three weeks, and we have had about 15 kids in the wider school in bubbles.
On Monday schools reopen properly for the first time in 8 weeks. We normally have 12 students in our Unit, but we are starting with two on Monday and should hit a grand total of four by Friday.
All our children are at high risk and their parents are understandably wary.
Some of them want to wait two weeks before considering return to school, as that will give them an indication of whether the virus is around now that we have dropped to Level 2.
We are going to have an excellent staffing ratio!
Midgey will be excited to be allowed to go to Hagley Park tomorrow - our normal Sunday jaunt has been off the menu for 8 weeks. I predict interminable sniffing. Maybe I should pack a book and a picnic lunch. Laugh

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 16 2020, 12:20am

Post #11 of 48 (647 views)
Shortcut
We've been birding for photo ops with real success lately. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was too hot in the sun to stay in place for long this morning, but here's a pic I took of one of the barred owlets from today's birding.

The one who left the nest hole yesterday to exercise those wings...couldn't summon up enough curiosity to open its eyes more than twice for us this morning, but this sibling made up for it.

We're still in the 'red' phase here, so there's no swimming at the state parks during this nasty heat wave. I predict a shortage of ice cream again soon, though the ice cream joints are now open for walk-up window service. I feel the need for a big black raspberry milkshake, myself...

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 1:20am

Post #12 of 48 (641 views)
Shortcut
I've just come back from a drive around the mountain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Man it was good to hop in the car and just drive! Smile

I stopped off to see my niece along the way and we both had our first hug in eight weeks. I drove up to Dawson's Falls on the mountain and got some pics of the Goblin Forest, breathed the sea air at Opunake Beach and grabbed myself a hokey pokey icecream on the way back. All in all, a perfect jaunt. Cool

Last night, my brother, his wife and I went went into town for a sit-down dinner at a restaurant - a very popular place that was always full pre-Covid. There was only one other table with diners while we were there. I'm worried about how many of these businesses will survive.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 2:02pm

Post #13 of 48 (572 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to our Grads! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Niece and Nephew's graduation ceremony sounds fantastic! How exciting to celebrate together :D My G'son's graduation seems to be "in process". I just gave him and his long-time girlfriend their presents when it looks like nothing is happening. I've been trying to put together a picnic gathering, but they're pretty busy. So if they're okay with it... that's definitely the way to go. :}

I'm still playing in the yard, but I'm quickly moving on #3 of the 3 projects [pics & more details in my Walk to Rivendell post on Main). Next I'm going to reface the outside bricks of my fireplace. I really like the rustic, distressed look of my inside brickwork, so I'm going to do the same on the outside. I didn't know those bricks were available when planning first started. The tough thing of doing something new is you don't know all the options or how the process works. So the next time I put in a new fireplace, I'll know better ;)

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Happy post Mother's Day and pre-Memorial Weekend!! Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira!

Dear Mr. Fantasy [partial-opening to Avengers End Game] by Traffic/Steve Winwood. One of the greatest openings to a film, imho! It still gives me chills. I like this montage put to it. The full song is too long for playing in full; but I highly recommend it :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 3:34pm

Post #14 of 48 (565 views)
Shortcut
Won't it be nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... not to struggle with the containers being all over the place once you get your pavers in place? Good idea!

I'm so happy you're able to zoom in for that party with mom-in-law and family! I'm sure she looks forward to engaging with everyone, and to do it online will give her a whole new avenue to visit. Awesome!

I'm going to visit Altaira's pics later on. They didn't want to load for me, so I'm going to try later when it's quieter.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that the weather cooperates. Getting outside on these warmer days fills the soul :D CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 3:43pm

Post #15 of 48 (563 views)
Shortcut
A milestone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure your grandson was looking forward to his transition... especially since you know he saw his brother have that celebration. I hope they do acknowledge it since it's so encouraging for them to work for the next milestone. :)

I'm glad your weather is inviting people to get out, but I'm very nervous about things opening up. Around here, there's only been testing available over the past week, so there's no idea where the "hotspots" are. We just assume it all one big hotspot. I really want to visit my daughter in Baltimore; especially since she's been off work and we can have a great visit. But she's still wrapping herself from head to toe when she goes out, so she's not comfortable with a visit yet. It's been 2 years since I've been there. I was going to go this month to help her with a giant yard sale... which she now has the time for, but can't do.

I hope you can get outside and enjoy your garden and walks. I'll bet it's beautiful this time of the year! ENJOY!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 3:48pm

Post #16 of 48 (562 views)
Shortcut
Not rainy today? [In reply to] Can't Post

AWESOME! Just being out in the sunshine and warmth (not too hot) is wonderful! I'm glad you're getting your outside fix BEFORE getting online. I don't know about you, but if I went online first *looks at clock* I'm distracted by anticipation of getting outside! I hope you have a great visit, though. Friends are balm for the heart. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 3:54pm

Post #17 of 48 (564 views)
Shortcut
Excessive sniffling is a must! [In reply to] Can't Post

How had Midgey adjusted to having you spending more time away over the past few weeks? I'm thinking there are a LOT of pets out there who had grown accustomed to having their mommies and daddies home all day. ;)

I'm so happy for NZ getting along on their re-opening. You've all been so smart and disciplined... a must when you're all working together to conquering this viral invasion. *massive hug*

I hope all goes well on Monday. With all the logical and realistic planning that's gone into it will certainly pay off and those parents who are rightfully concerned will be impressed and relieved with what they see :) Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2020, 3:59pm

Post #18 of 48 (563 views)
Shortcut
What!!??!! A shortage!!!??? *spasm* [In reply to] Can't Post

Toilet paper... fine. Hand sanitizer... understandable. BUT NOT ICE CREAM!!! *swoon*

Oh geez... that picture is Brilliant! I'm so happy you found them and that they cooperated... the posers ;) What a great way to spend time. How often have those birds watched us as we hurried by? Awesome! you for this!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 4:50pm

Post #19 of 48 (556 views)
Shortcut
Has that internet still been problematic for you? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's troublesome, when you live so far off the beaten track, as they say! Have you tried Otaku's link to Andy Serkis' Hobbit reading, yet, to see if it will load for you?

We had a lovely long chat this morning. The sister-in-law who's been visiting regularly with Mom helped her "Zoom on". We all wore funny hats and held candles and sang Happy Birthday, then blew the candles out, and ate ice cream while chatting!

I've got to do more clearing of the area for the pavers today. I'd just like to get the cans off the driveway and nestled against the side of the garage, out of the wind.

I hope you're having sunshiny weather there, gramma! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 5:04pm

Post #20 of 48 (554 views)
Shortcut
Changing from one school to another [In reply to] Can't Post

is such an important event for young kids, I do hope he and his classmates are allowed to give a proper "farewell" at some point!

Fruit loaf? Is that similar to a fruitcake?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 5:09pm

Post #21 of 48 (550 views)
Shortcut
Reading out-of-doors [In reply to] Can't Post

with these temps is so pleasant! I'll be on my back deck doing that, later today, watching the goldfinches attack the feeders and the hummingbirds sip nectar and the big Tom turkey that's been coming around lately strut his stuff while his hens feed. What a show-off, but I wouldn't want to approach him.

How did the Google hangout work out?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 5:26pm

Post #22 of 48 (551 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

A book, a lunch, and a looong leash (do dogs need to be leashed, in the park?). Midgey will be so happy!

It's so good to have your schools get back to being open, and quite understandable for those parents who are holding off returning their kids. Little steps, safe steps! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 5:43pm

Post #23 of 48 (549 views)
Shortcut
So tiny and soft! [In reply to] Can't Post

No feathers yet - he looks so vulnerable! What distance was he from you? Do the owlets often come out during daylight?

No, no ice cream shortages, that can't happen! Shocked

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2020, 5:49pm

Post #24 of 48 (551 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know [In reply to] Can't Post

you could reface bricks! How is that done?

Oh gosh, Memorial Day weekend is this coming weekend! Where did this month go?

I'm hearing more about high school graduates not letting the lack of ceremonies upset them. It would have been such a big thing back in our day, but nowadays with so many ways to keep in touch online, the kids may have to be "distant" but they're still quite "social"! Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 16 2020, 6:52pm

Post #25 of 48 (545 views)
Shortcut
There's so much uncertainty at the moment - [In reply to] Can't Post

the government says one thing, the teachers say another, the unions chip in with their opinion, parents are very divided over the timing; who knows what'll happen? We should know more in a week or two. It's the same with travelling around. The PM said 'you can travel as far as you like to exercise' and just about every authority in tourist areas screeched, 'You cannot be serious! Stay away, people...' Why didn't he just say 'you can travel, but not more than half an hour from home' or something like that? We should know more about the results of that in a week or two, as well. <gulp> I'm stayiing close to home; a trip of a few miles feels like a treat at present. Hope you get to Baltimore before too long, but it's got to feel right.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.