Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the anniversary reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 12, 2:36pm

Post #1 of 2 (428 views)
Shortcut
It's the anniversary reading thread! Can't Post

Tomorrow is my older son and his wife's wedding anniversary. And the anniversary of when my younger son met his wife, who was one of the bridesmaids. Win-win all around!

I finished listening to A Better Man by Louise Penny, the 2019 installment in her Inspector Gamache series. Her big surprise at the end didn't surprise me at all---I tend to read these things from the inside-out, so to speak---but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book. She stitched together a beautifully intricate plot, with some smaller surprises I did not anticipate. It's a good thing I've already heard that there's another book due out this year, because otherwise I'd suspect she was ending the series, with one major character not only leaving the police force but also Canada. So I'm curious as to where she goes from here, and whether she really intends to do without that particular character.

I'm now listening to the newest Anne Hillerman Leaphorn/Chee/Manuelito mystery, The Tale Teller. Hillerman's background in non-fiction---a stiffness and plodding rhythm to her narrative---is even more apparent in audio than it is on the printed page, but then, I'm always intrigued by the Navajo background and the characters are enjoyable.

On paper I'm reading the second of British author Mark Forsyth's three books on the English language. This one is The Horologicon, a modern book of hours in which he takes an imaginary reader through the day using old words that are, for the most part, no longer in the language. This is highly entertaining---I've laughed out loud more than once---and is also informative. I was surprised at one word he mentions: Lollygagging. It may have dropped out of British English, but is very much alive and well on the American side of the pond.

So what have you been reading?

Stay safe everyone!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

May 13, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 2 (351 views)
Shortcut
Ngaio Marsh [In reply to] Can't Post

I revisited a couple of old favorites, Death and the Dancing Footman and Tied up in Tinsel, both set in snowy settings, and then realized I had never read the very first Roderick Alleyn novel, A Man Lay Dead, so downloaded & read that one. She hasn't quite hit her stride with this first one; Alleyn has not yet become as austere or, apparently, as handsome as he later is, and there's a totally unnecessary Plot B about Russian seditionists that muddles the story. Also, Mr. Fox has yet to show up. But as the first of her murder-in-a-stately-home stories, it's pretty good, and it features the Marsh hallmark: an ingenious murder accomplished within such a tight time frame that it seems impossible for anyone to have done it.

Edited to add: Alleyn kind of reminds me of Aragorn.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on May 13, 1:56pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.