Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 7
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20, 3:18am

Post #26 of 31 (115 views)
Shortcut
Confusing phones? [In reply to] Can't Post

Twenty years ago, when we lived in our previous house, the kitchen had a wall phone with a rotary dial. Those were almost nonexistent by that time. We loved playing this joke on our kids' friends, if they asked if they could use the phone: we'd direct them to the kitchen phone, then all watch as they went glassy-eyed in front of it, having no idea how to dial.

So you've been Mak(ing) Way for Ducklings! I think the swans are pros at finding camouflaged hiding places for their nests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 6:01pm

Post #27 of 31 (94 views)
Shortcut
That's a good way to look at it [In reply to] Can't Post

So maybe a 2020 phone stumps me, but by golly, I know how to use rotary phones that would confuse the heck out of young computer whizzes today. I ALSO know how to use a manual can opener. My wizardly powers from The Olde Magic are nigh infinite. I even know what the thing is below, but I don't divulge my secrets to the uninitiated, lest they destroy the world.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 21, 6:04pm

Post #28 of 31 (93 views)
Shortcut
Orange you glad you have an audience who likes your puns? (thanks for the chuckles) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It's a fowl place you walk past all the time. AWESOME! I love it when the little ones follow along behind. My Mom had a pond behind the house with a nest of swans that returned every year. They do have little ones following along behind in the water just like their cousins... so keep your eyes peeled!

Have you seen any Huorns in the Old Forest? That's as long a walk as mine around Mirkwood! Good thing we're not in a hurry.

So you finally came unglued? At least your phone did. That's nasty! I haven't had a smart phone yet. I'm still trying to master texting! It sounds like your new phone does some good pics, though. Stay Safe and beware of protective feathered parents!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22, 2:12am

Post #29 of 31 (66 views)
Shortcut
Er... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you obviously aren't owned by a cat, who enjoys canned food! Laugh

Granted, the tabs are a bit different. They don't use those on soda cans anymore?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 22, 3:24am

Post #30 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's supposed to be the pull tab to beer & soda cans [In reply to] Can't Post

now relegated to museums as mysterious objects of antiquity. And no, not owned by a cat--I thought all pull tabs were extinct. When I reach an operator, I'll place a collect call to you on my party line so we can discuss this further, and we'll just have to hope others on our party lines aren't listening in.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22, 11:07am

Post #31 of 31 (42 views)
Shortcut
Here's a post on that dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you pass this challenge?

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 22, 11:08am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.