Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 7
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 8, 4:13am

Post #1 of 31 (793 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 7 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Welcome to our weekly base-touching and the lovely month of May :D Ahhhhh... it's finally deep into Spring here in my neck of the woods. I mowed the grass for the first time!!! :D Ask me how wonderful it is in a few more weeks. My riding lawnmower sailed into the West, so it's the little push mower I've called into duty. *sigh*

How are you doing on your Quest? Do you find it more inspiring when you have a goal or a set plan... or when you just "follow your nose"? I always make plans just so I can either forget them or ignore them altogether. Great intentions... poor execution. :(

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still on the long road up and around the northern tip of Mirkwood instead of cutting through the Woods on the Elven path. No repeats even if you DO have the boss of the land's leave. Thranduil has proven to be a pretty decent bloke, but... no thanks!

So tell how you're doing! :D There's always room on the Road even with 6 feet betwixt all :D *waves fondly*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 31 (725 views)
Shortcut
Special motivation to walk today [In reply to] Can't Post

And I ain't no runner, but walking is deemed supportive as well: #IRunWithAhmaud. I'm still in the Old Forest and will be for awhile. Stay well.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9, 2:10pm

Post #3 of 31 (705 views)
Shortcut
Well done :) [In reply to] Can't Post

What worthy walk! It really makes a difference. It will definitely help get you out of the Old Forest. Just be careful if you find a river and start feeling sleepy. :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 13, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 31 (665 views)
Shortcut
A nice find in the Old Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this a couple days ago while walking on a rainy day (I hoped I'd beat the rain but got caught in it). So aside from foolish me, there was literally no one around. This wasn't a toy a kid had put down for a minute to play with something else; I could only conclude that, since it was on a normally busy path, someone left it there on purpose as their social message. Hence to honor their sentiment:

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13, 9:24pm

Post #5 of 31 (654 views)
Shortcut
Aww! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14, 10:50am

Post #6 of 31 (646 views)
Shortcut
joins in awwww... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right! Literally a warm fuzzy... and a wonderful hug for the soul. Thank you for taking the shot for us... rain and hug ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15, 1:21am

Post #7 of 31 (638 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the middle of May. *blink* Did you miss it? Those first 2 weeks? *blink* It goes by just that fast! At least it feels like it nowadays. Slow-motion in action.

How are you coming along on your Quest? Have you gotten used to your new norm... which may also mean new goals. While the situation is bizarre, it gives us a unique opportunity to be creative. What do you look forward to doing the most? Are you following any of the charts? That's the beauty of this Walk, you do it your way on your own timeline. How often do you get to do that? :D Do tell on your progress and what adventure you've had this week!

Bilbo, Beorn, Gandalf and I are still walking along the northern border of Mirkwood on our way to Beorn's. I don't know about those guys, but I'm ready to get home to my recliner and DISH Hopper. New batteries in the remote and I'm ready to veg. Hmmmm.... some veggies, too!

Meanwhile, I'm still playing in the yard. I just finished 2 of the 3 yard projects I've got going. 1) Fix drainage to stop basement flooding; 2) Clear out the huge circle of dirt left behind from a railroad tie delivery decades ago; 3) Re-grade my yard from the house foundation out into the yard (started). I decided to take a shorter route with the drainage when I realized the outlet wouldn't work. So I veered stage right and ended up in the farm field beside me.

They're all tied together which is so my style. Complicate things as much as possible! For your further punishment on wading through my projects, here are some pics so far.

15' diameter overgrown RR tie dirt.

Almost done.

Pickle supervises.

Drain from gutter to field

Wizard supervises. His name is Wizard because he's grey & white and comes & goes as he wants.

Sod scraped from yard to be buried.

After the pile is gone.

After the sod is laid.

The dump truck delivery of topsoil. Pickle dominates the pile. Little dogs love being high up!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15, 2:09am

Post #8 of 31 (633 views)
Shortcut
Gramma's dishing the dirt! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lotta shoveling around! But the sod went back on nicely, didn't it. Smile

What's that white pipe coming up out of the yard - is that the septic location?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15, 4:43am

Post #9 of 31 (627 views)
Shortcut
Well, well, well... [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is my water well. Goes down about 140 feet! And putting the sod pieces together was like a giant, live, lumpy puzzle.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 15, 7:12pm

Post #10 of 31 (598 views)
Shortcut
That's hilarious with Pickle playing king of the hill. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're as busy as the Shire hobbits restoring the Shire post-Sharkey. Bravo! Looks like a lot of work, but you have helpers, and I'm sure it will be worth it. Especially the drainage part--I had to that with a house I once owned. Dry basements are such a nice thing!

I'm still in the Old Forest, and the walking charts make me appreciate how much Tolkien the author and me the reader just breeze over the miles that people walked. Actually doing the walking is not so breezy.

Enjoy the walk along Mirkwood's edge, and don't take any wooden nickels from hobgoblins! (I'm going to have to google that now. Who in the world would ever mistake a wooden nickel for a metallic one? Unless maybe the wood was covered by metal. Otherwise, it's kinda like saying "Don't set your hair on fire, because it hurts." I mean, who needs that advice?)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17, 1:54pm

Post #11 of 31 (521 views)
Shortcut
Pickle is fearless! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's always on top of things. Happens when you're really short-legged. ;)

You've had the same reaction I have with referring to those charts.

I'm still in the Old Forest, and the walking charts make me appreciate how much Tolkien the author and me the reader just breeze over the miles that people walked. Actually doing the walking is not so breezy.

You really get more of an appreciation of what the Fellowship went through when you cover the miles yourself! :D *high five* That walk through the Old Forest is like reading the Council of Elrond... it goes on and on and on! I'll definitely watch out for wooden nickles if you'll watch out for a forced nap-time anywhere near an old, nasty willow ;) ONWARD! and WELL DONE!!!! :D

*watches ground for curious fundage*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21, 1:35pm

Post #12 of 31 (470 views)
Shortcut
Pics come and go... [In reply to] Can't Post

my photobucket account is having hiccups :( To Be Continued... ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21, 1:41pm

Post #13 of 31 (470 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

For many of us, the warmer weather has finally made its way! The only thing bad about that is that I don't have time to do inside housework... darn ;)

How are you coming along on your Walks (and other activities)? Even with the isolation, it seems like the days are flying by now! What are you doing to gather your mileage? I'm going to post a couple more Resource conversion charts with other ways to accumulate your mileage... so hopefully there's something there that can give you some options and information.

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are still walking home from the Mountain to Beorn's home on the other side of Mirkwood; but we're taking the scenic route ;)

*waves fondly* Stay Safe and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28, 12:22pm

Post #14 of 31 (375 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! May 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are at the last WtR for the month of May. ZOOM! The days are flying by... STILL! I hope you all are doing well and have some great projects to keep yourselves busy and moving along! Have you got any goals in the back on your mind? "I'll get some Ice Cream once I ........ [fill in the blank]." You've GOT to have a reward at the end of an effort. I mean, even my pup Pickle gets a nubby carrot when he's been a good boy! Yes. Dogs LOVE carrots! I get the bag of mini carrots just for him. He loves them cold and fun! Sometimes, he shares with me :)

I finally conquered Mount Pickle! That huge truckload of topsoil. It's all spread out and in place. After a bit of tweeking, I'll be putting down grass seed and covering it with some bales of straw shredded to cover it from birds and wind. In a couple of weeks, I'll hopefully have some newly-grown grass to hold the soil in place and begin shedding the rain/snow-melt away from the house.

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still travelling with Beorn to his home on the other side of the woods. I'm SO ready for this to be over; but I know it's going to be a long while still before I'm in my own chair in front of my own fireplace. I wonder if there's a remote or tv waiting for me, too?

Have a wonderful week! And I'll see you on the Road!

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 2:28am

Post #15 of 31 (336 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are in June, and the grass needs to be mowed all the time! I hope you are doing well on your Quest. I love the versatility of how we can build our mileage; bicycling, walking, gardening, *urp* cleaning, whatever squeaks your duck! I'm moving on to my next project of resurfacing my chimney. I finally finished my topsoil spreading and seeding of my yard. I raised the level of ground just over 4 inches at the foundation with a pretty constant slope away from the house and out into the yard.

What have you been up to? Are you using any of the Fellowship's journeys? Again... make YOUR journey your own :)

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still travelling along the boarder of Mirkwood on our way to Beorn's home before the cold winter sets in.

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11, 12:22pm

Post #16 of 31 (295 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you coming along on your Quest? Come, come... give us a shout on what you're up to and how you're going to get there :D Are you following the Fellowship or are you a Ranger loose in the Wild? Or a Wizard with a purpose? Or just a bloke or blokette trying to get through the day ;) Here you'll find "Fellowship" with like-minded Walkers.

We had quite a storm pass through mid-Michigan yesterday (June 10). No, not the flooding we had a couple of weeks ago from 2 broken dams, but a 70 mph microburst horizontal wind that slammed into our area. I stood in the back door (facing West) looking out on the farm fields when I heard the trees shaking with the rising wind. I saw a wall of silver glass (truly!) rushing along the fields straight at my house. WHAM! The house shuddered! Instantly I saw the first two 20-foot trees crackle and tip over heading for the house as I tried to slam the backdoor shut... but couldn't! The wind was so strong I had to ram my shoulder into the door, plant my feet and push to get the door shut! Then I ran to the front door and heard more cracking as my huge Maple tree next to my newly-built mailbox split in two and crash onto the road completely blocking it!

The whole drama lasted about 30 seconds... all that was left was a light steady rain and about 10 mph wind. I went out to survey what happened, and found 4 large trees down and 2 smaller (10-ish feet each). The one that fell toward the house landed less than 3 feet from the roof, but it did fall over the propane tank (my heat source). I checked that first in case it was damaged. That's when I saw the second tree hovering overhead. Those 2 trees that fell over it straddled on either side of the tank with just the edge leaves touching it. *whew!* But you couldn't see the tank unless you moved into the branches.

Then I checked my beloved Maple tree out front that shaded my stack-stone mailbox. I couldn't see the box anywhere. My road was completely blocked like it was done a'purpose and the mailbox was buried; but I had to laugh when I saw that the split trunk and branches from the half of the tree broken off also straddled the mailbox! Didn't touch it, but was impossible to get to.

I called the County Road Commission and reported the downed tree (one of hundreds in the area blocking several roads). They were there within a few hours with a front-loader (tractor). The operator carefully lifted the broken tree as 3 County Workers chain-sawed the branches. They didn't touch the mailbox and had the road cleared within 30 minutes. Of course, I'm salvaging as much of the wood as I can in hopes of making furniture/crafts with it.

So for the next few weeks, I'll be busying myself with my chainsaw as I clear away the broken trees that completely cover the yard behind the house. The backyard trees will mostly be firewood. *sigh*

The miracle is that I never lost electricity! For miles all around me (especially to the North), thousands are without power! But for an outage for about a minute, my power lines survived all of those fallen trees and wind damage!

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are still walking along the Northern border of Mirkwood on our way to Beorn's home and a friendly roof over our heads :)

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 11, 2:01pm

Post #17 of 31 (286 views)
Shortcut
So glad that you were not toppled too, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whew, that was some microburst! And OMG--the loss of those trees! I was reminded of Gandalf at the Hollin Gate:

I am sorry; for the trees were beautiful, and had stood so long.’

But you're still still standing, and it's a near-miracle you have electricity. And glad that other things didn't get hit and damaged, like the roof and propane tank. I'm glad you are armed with a chainsaw to clear the rest. I remember instant storms from living in Kansas, and how a minute later, there would be a gentle sprinkle and a light breeze, and all the destruction from a tornado was "forgotten" by the weather, which just makes it more surreal.

As for me, I'm still walking in the Old Forest. With summer weather here, it's made being outside so much nicer. This is the kind of weather I live for.

Stay safe!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11, 3:54pm

Post #18 of 31 (275 views)
Shortcut
*jaws drops* Omigosh, gramma, it's a miracle you and the house and furry friends are unhurt! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking at pics of some of the damage from the storms earlier, y'know one hears about microbursts and how they're like tornadoes, but to see one happening in front of your eyes...!

Everyone was safely inside at the moment? No damage to roof or Hobbity?

I know you've had trees downed by storms in the past, but this has got to be the worst that's happened!

Can you plant another maple where the old one was? Did they leave the stump, or uproot it?

*hugs* I'm just so relieved that you're okay!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 11, 4:33pm

Post #19 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
I met Georgia O'Keefe in my walk today [In reply to] Can't Post

You meet all kinds of oddities in the Old Forest.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12, 10:47am

Post #20 of 31 (249 views)
Shortcut
Perfect weather and many meetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Step out onto the Road, and you never know who you'll meet! FANTASTIC! :D I'm so glad the weather is making your trek(s) more enjoyable. It makes it easier to notice the little things... like GEORGIA! Tally Ho!

I made short(ish) work of the Maple (lots of wood!), the Cherry tree and Pickle's pen Box Elder (the small trees lost); but then again, the Maple and Cherry weren't a total loss... just badly damaged. Now on to the biggies.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 12, 10:59am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12, 11:28am

Post #21 of 31 (252 views)
Shortcut
Auntie Em! Toto!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion, they're as bad as a small tornado; but at least tornadoes are a cyclone covering a path. These microbursts are miles and miles wide! This one covered at least 5 counties in length and moved across the whole state without losing potency. It stopped doing damage when it hit Lake Huron (one of the Great Lakes), a 3-hour drive from here.

Thankfully, no damage to buildings or Hobbity. Actually, at the time I wished I had left Hobbity outside for a seriously good washing ;)

Also thankfully, the whole Maple wasn't lost. It was nearly split in two! The trunk is intact, but it has a HUGE open wound... probably 7 feet long and 5 feet wide where one of the main branches peeled away. I'm going to paint it a matching colour to try and save it from insect damage and decay. I'll get some pics around :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 12, 4:07pm

Post #22 of 31 (241 views)
Shortcut
5 counties? That sounds like a "macroburst". Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad your buildings are intact.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 19, 4:31am

Post #23 of 31 (147 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're having fun on your journey... or at least feeling like you're achieving your goal! Have you gotten into your Summer routine? Actually, we've had about 2-3 months to get into a routine! Are you on a journey or working on a project or just perfecting your binge-watching technique?

I'm finishing up on my tree-cutting from the big storm last week. Bill the Trailer was SO helpful and brave as I loaded it up with these massive tree parts. It's so great to have it done!!!! Of course there's always a bit more to do, but I'm really just so done with this!

Meanwhile, back on the trail, Beorn, Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still STILL on the trailer along northern Mirkwood's border on our way to Beorn's home. I'm so ready for THIS to be done, too; but I'm really enjoying these guys when they get to telling stories at the evening's camp. :D

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 19, 4:32am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 19, 12:07pm

Post #24 of 31 (132 views)
Shortcut
Glad the cleanup has gone well [In reply to] Can't Post

I only thought of this too late for it to be any good, but I guess you didn't find any wizard to summon some Huorns to clean things up overnight? Though as Huorns go, they might have made you disappear too, so maybe that's just as well.

I am still in the Old Forest. On my last walk I saw two sets of goose parents, one pair with definite "teenage" geese almost fully formed as adults while another pair had the little goslings that followed them quite obediently and without a hint of teenage rebellion or sleeping in until noon after a night of partying. And alas, the swans are still hiding their swanlings from me, I suppose at boarding schools far away. I would think that with 30-40 swans on the river near me, at least two of them must be raising chicks, but I never seem them, not like I do with ducks and geese. Or maybe storks drop them off? I dunno.

I was snapping bird photos with my new phone, a Samsung, after my Motorola's screen came unglued and various little things went wrong, so a repair was going to cost about the same as a new phone. It's odd how phones can use Android as their operating system but still have their own set of "swipe for this, not for that" rules, so I'm still learning the dang thing, particularly after 8 years on an iPhone, where things were different too. Remember when a phone was attached to the wall and you just picked it up? NOT that I want to go retro, but confessing to being confused by your phone in 1975 or so would have scattered people away from you like admitting to leprosy.

Have a good walk, and don't follow any rabbits down holes, even if they're late for important dates.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20, 2:42am

Post #25 of 31 (121 views)
Shortcut
Duck, duck, goose! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a fowl place you walk past all the time. AWESOME! I love it when the little ones follow along behind. My Mom had a pond behind the house with a nest of swans that returned every year. They do have little ones following along behind in the water just like their cousins... so keep your eyes peeled!

Have you seen any Huorns in the Old Forest? That's as long a walk as mine around Mirkwood! Good thing we're not in a hurry.

So you finally came unglued? At least your phone did. That's nasty! I haven't had a smart phone yet. I'm still trying to master texting! It sounds like your new phone does some good pics, though. Stay Safe and beware of protective feathered parents!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.