Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What tasks, pleasures, or other occupations are you doing very differently, or doing for the first time during these times?
Poll: What tasks, pleasures, or other occupations are you doing very differently, or doing for the first time during these times?
Work
Recreation
Cooking/baking
Communicating with friends/family
Community service/helping others
Exercising
Home improvement
Yard stuff/gardening
Interaction with pets
Reading/watching the news
Movies/video/TV-show watching
Being more nervious/stressed than usual
Being less nervous/stressed than usual
Reading
Writing as a hobby or outlet
Writing professionally
Playing instruments
Listening to music
Learning an instrument
Other
View Results (76 votes)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 16 2020, 8:12pm

Post #1 of 18 (22603 views)
Shortcut
What tasks, pleasures, or other occupations are you doing very differently, or doing for the first time during these times? Can't Post

Elaborate in replies, if you wish!
I think I got the idea when my church sent out an online survey to see how everyone was doing and what the needs are in the congregation, and also options for several ways people might want to help other church members (all virtually, of course). I was impressed that they included the need for emotional support as one of the options.

Although I'm not posting much, this place has been a bit of a lifeline for me, just reading through posts; and I'm guessing that's true for a lot of us. Smile
What I'm dong very differently is work, and although I have fewer students, it's actually a bit more work for each one.
I'm outdoors with the dog more intentionally, and for longer periods of time, and I've started a very early garden, which I'll cover with plastic if needed. It's just tiny lettuce seedlings coming up now, and garlic and red sorrel I planted last year, and they don't seem to freeze, but it snowed a bit last night and today, so I'd better get prepared!

And I'm cooking a lot more. I just bought a yogurt maker, and I'm trying a second batch, as I left the first out too long, and I think it spoiled a bit. Unsure

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Apr 16 2020, 9:50pm

Post #2 of 18 (22546 views)
Shortcut
you gave us so many choices and yet the things i do differently still aren't there! [In reply to] Can't Post

as I work front-line in health care, mostly with seniors, my work has changed very minimally. and i'm very much a homebody when it comes to entertainment and recreation anyways, so that hasn't changed much. the biggest changes for me have been online schooling (and now exams, as i am at the end of term), and church services being prerecorded and watched online.

I would say that home improvement is something i'm doing for the first time but......it's mostly my parents working on it (not me) and it was going to happen now regardless of the virus so i'm not quite sure it counts Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2020, 10:46pm

Post #3 of 18 (22538 views)
Shortcut
Definitely work. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have worked from home before for a few hours here and there but this is the first time that I'm properly based at home and have full access to the organisation's systems. (The IS team have been superb.)

Also, keeping in contact with colleagues and friends over group video chat. It's the first time I've done that and I can see the value in it. Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 16 2020, 10:51pm

Post #4 of 18 (22536 views)
Shortcut
Largely work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our store is generally open 24/7, but for now we are observing more limited hours. That means we have no customers during my night shift until we re-open at 6 in the morning. That also means we've been starting the shift an hour earlier so we can arrive before the store closes for the night. And now we need to wear face masks during operating hours.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 23 2020, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 18 (21977 views)
Shortcut
I'm now a Zoom expert [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't just attend, I host Zoom meetings for all kinds of groups.

Also exercising to online programs. Thank you Silver Sneakers!

I'm about to download Babbel and pick up my French again.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 23 2020, 5:47pm

Post #6 of 18 (21977 views)
Shortcut
I can't seem to make myself [In reply to] Can't Post

try Zoom, although I do have it. I guess it's because Skype seems to be working OK for my one-on-one violin and music comp. lessons. But I want to do a virtual recital at the end of the year, so I suppose I'd better start getting the hang of it!
I haven't done French since February, and I'm sadly behind. The way my brain works (or doesn't) has caused me to give up on everything, including Babbel, except for this, which works for me like a charm and was free until 6 months ago. It's supposed to be base on cognitive science:
My goal is to read the Hobbit in French, which Darkstone recommended when I asked for tips.
I'm guessing you're way ahead of that. How long have you been studying?
I hope your friends and family are all OK, and the curve is flattening or even on the downslope, like it finally is here.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 23 2020, 5:49pm

Post #7 of 18 (21971 views)
Shortcut
Yes, church online. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ours are live--which has been bumpy, to say the least. But I appreciate their efforts.Smile

Annael
Immortal

Apr 23 2020, 6:48pm

Post #8 of 18 (21968 views)
Shortcut
did you have a link in your post? [In reply to] Can't Post

you said "except for this: " which made me think it was something other than Babbel you use?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 23 2020, 7:13pm

Post #9 of 18 (21965 views)
Shortcut
Ah! I thought I did. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, here it is: https://oli.cmu.edu/courses/elementary-french-i/

The colon must be appeased. Laugh

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2020, 5:09am

Post #10 of 18 (21718 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried Duolingo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Free and fast warmup for intro. I'm using it to improve my rudimentary Welsh.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 28 2020, 3:56pm

Post #11 of 18 (21464 views)
Shortcut
many have recommended [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 5 2020, 6:17pm

Post #12 of 18 (15719 views)
Shortcut
This last semester was too much; I decided to retire [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my students had a decent experience; I made videos from my class notes from previous semesters and posted them on youtube. I graded daily homework and tests on the computer screen; students scanned their work or took photos with their phones and posted it on the school webpage for the class. I didn't bother worrying about cheating; all tests were take home and open book.

Two of my students were sick with fever for a month but managed to finish the classes with A grades.

But I was sooo stressed by it all. I had planned to retire in another year, when I turn 65, but decided I could scrape by for a year buying my own health insurance.

I also checked 'recreation'. For a while our beloved Rocky Mountain National Park was closed. It's open now, but we don't really feel safe dealing with hoards of people. We've mostly been just walking around our neighborhood and looking up at the mountains from here. Recently we drove an hour an a half north to Soapstone Prairie on the Wyoming border and had the place to ourselves.

I've been doing yoga in the backyard and enjoying staying home. Our church is doing amazing online services that are in some ways more rich and connecting than the in-church services. I haven't been contributing much; I seem to be paralyzed with anxiety. But the three ministers are so amazing. After each zoom service they break us into groups of about 8 and we have a virtual "coffee hour"
that has been so helpful.

I guess the other thing that's really different is death. My aunt died, and instead of sitting at her deathbed as I certainly would have (she was only two miles away) I said goodbye while a kind nurse held a phone to her ear. And though that was a month ago, we still have no idea when we'll be able to have a memorial service or get together to scatter her ashes.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2020, 11:23pm

Post #13 of 18 (15684 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

about your aunt, ADB. Big hugs from me. Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6 2020, 12:53am

Post #14 of 18 (15678 views)
Shortcut
Oh no. [In reply to] Can't Post

My condolences, Aunt D, I am so, so sorry! I think I recall you mentioning her, had she been in the nursing home/hospital long? Bless that nurse who was able to let you speak to her.

I fully understand your retiring; three teachers at my school also decided this was their last year, the stress was too much. It was too much sudden change, a heck of a lot of work, and a sadness has hung over it all.

You're doing well taking care of yourself with yoga and the church socializing! Do you think that now you'll do more writing?

*hugs!*

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 7 2020, 4:40pm

Post #15 of 18 (15441 views)
Shortcut
Oh my. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such huge changes all at once.
I am so very sorry about your aunt. I can't imagine how hard that was for both of you, but what a comfort it must have been for her to hear your voice. I'm sure she felt your presence with her.
And I'm so sorry things got to such a stressful point with your teaching. But what a success, really, not just for helping those 2 students to pull the plane up so they not only didn't crash but soared, but for all the decades you taught all sorts of kids to "fly." Heart What teaching is for, no matter what subject matter.
Oddly, doing all my lessons via Skype works OK, for my established students anyway. I guess since the whole thing is about hearing and seeing, even though I can't physically nudge their wrists into place, everything else can still happen, fairly well. That just isn't the case with math and English and history and all; plus all the classroom interaction that is missing. Zoom just doesn't do the same thing. So I can just imagine (a bit) how incredibly stressful this last semester has been for you.
I hope you and Uncle Baggins can get out there and roam around again somehow, at some point. I can't believe the Park is crowded already, or at all! Hmmm. I guess helicopter-drop-me on the top of Longs (where there can't be too much of a crowd, yet!). I'm glad that you can still see the mountains, even from a distance. They "speak" anyway (I can see and hear it in my head, even from here Smile).
Yes, our online church actually has been that way as well. I attribute some of it to the pastors realizing they have to really step up to keep us connected. But I think the congregation is leaning in more, too. What a terrific idea about the "coffee hour"! I've found myself hunkering down, too, and not interacting hardly at all myself. That's why their reaching out to us is such a great thing. You can just sit and listen, without any pressure to participate, and still feel the concern and the warmth. Kind of like here on the boards.Smile
Please tell Uncle Baggins "hi" from me and my family: and I'm sending our best wishes and hope for a fabulous retirement to you!

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 18 (10729 views)
Shortcut
hard to answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I did lots of stuff on the list already before the pandemic - not least to my food allergies (like baking/cooking/etc).

What -has- changed is that use the internet nowadays for 95% of my social interactions. Am in too many risk groups myself or my friends are in too many riskgroups for physical meetings.
Telephoning has become too expensive compared to internet solutions.

Have spent WAY more time on sites like youtube especially over the summer.
Or watching and rewatching favorite movies (I loved the new Emma! especially the costumes and that SO much dialogue was diretcly or indirectly lifted from the book!)
And am re-reading a lot of favorites :)
With the new jobs higher salary I am slowly replacing all "temporary fixes for things which broke" (like broke 20 years ago like my waffle maker) ...

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 30 2020, 6:28pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 31 2020, 9:35pm

Post #17 of 18 (10703 views)
Shortcut
Yes, about 95% still, [In reply to] Can't Post

even though our numbers here have been down. But with a family member at risk, we're largely sticking to online for most stuff. Unsure

Ioreth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 1:23pm

Post #18 of 18 (3911 views)
Shortcut
will be even more [In reply to] Can't Post

cooking now that I will get unemployed again from February ...

Well, at least I think it is fun :)
And we have good opportunities here around Stockholm to get all stuff delivered to your home :)
Good in the continuing pandemic :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.