Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 9

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 9 2020, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 22 (2212 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 9 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope all is well with your and yours as we hunker down and play tig/tog/tag with the Virus. While it's a challenging time, it has also given us an opportunity to be creative, to read, to clean *urp*, and to gather some mileage for our Walks! What have you been doing with your time? I'm moving a huge pile of dirt from here to waaaaaay over there (opposite corner of my property). The intention is to regrade the lawn from the front corner of my house out toward the road. I've been getting some flooding in my basement, so carrying the rain from the roof/gutters away from there should help :) IT BETTER!!!

The dwarves and I are perched on the side of the mountain outside the Hidden Door while Bilbo has been carrying on an interesting discussion with a giant worm perched on a pile of gold and jools! A bit intense!

*waves* See you on the Road!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 10 2020, 4:54pm

Post #2 of 22 (2154 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my time has been spent on yard work, but I had a lot of help with the worst of the cleaning up. The main burn pile is heaped high again. And will probably get higher if this blasted front doesn't move off soon. How the wind howls? It whistles, and that always drives me into hibernation to avoid madness!

I'm still walking, though not always as much as I'd like to for a number of reasons. Part of my pandemic coping strategy has been to keep playing with my hoard of nail polish, and my manicures seemed to magically coordinate with my map route! The thermal polishes that change color in the cold were perfect all the way to a failed attempt on Caradhras, and holographic polishes or holo glitter toppers can look suspiciously like Gandalf showing off his fire-starting skills or lighting the way through the long dark of Moria. (Now, I'm tempted to go all black and ghâsh-y instead of doing Easter nail art.) I also just started reading LotR again very recently, and now my reading has caught up with my walking. =)

I'm really looking forward to getting out of Moria soon, but not to saying goodbye to Gandalf.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2020, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 22 (2080 views)
Shortcut
*applause!* Bravo!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

...my manicures seemed to magically coordinate with my map route!

OH... I LOVE IT! :D Brilliant!!! What a great way to tackle resourcefulness!!! And Bravo on the yard work! And the READ! And all the fabulous ways you're keeping ahead of cabin fever and the virus!! I'm still smiling just imagining your nails Gandalfy-lit nails! If you did each nail a different colour, I'll bet you'd set off fireworks fersher! WELL DONE!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 16 2020, 11:35am

Post #4 of 22 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are smack-dab in the middle of April and the welcome warmer weather of Spring in the Northern Hemi and the lovely colours and crisper days of Fall in the Southern Hemi. Like passing ships in the night each lit with their own seasonal glow. *sigh* KEEP ON SPINNING MOTHER EARTH! :D

So how are you doing on your Quest(s)? What projects have you got planned that will convert into mileage? It's a two-fer. You get a project done, and you get further down the Road! It appeals to my sense of order :D Are you finding time to get involved with larger projects or activities during these virus-impacted days?

I finally got my big pile of dirt moved and cut down the 2 trees growing up through the middle of it. Now I'm turning my sights on re-grading the yard from the front of the house out into the yard; but I can't really get cranking on that until the home-bound virus action is lifted. The dumptruck load of topsoil I need can't be delivered until then. So I'm working on re-directing the downspout on my gutter to carry the runoff away from the house. It involves digging a 40 to 70 foot trench to lay the pvc in... depending on which direction I want to go. *rubs hand together* I've want to do this digging stuff while the soil is still loose from the winter thaw. By June, this ground will be as hard as a rock!

This is a strange time for Bilbo, Gandalf, the dwarves and me. We've finished Karen Wynn Fonstad's chart, her last one from her book and Eowyn's Challenge website. Bilbo took the Arkenstone to Bard, Thranduil and Gandalf at their camp and faced the Battle of Five Armies. So now I'm starting the next chart (one I've made) that takes us from the Mountain to Beorn's home via a journey north of Mirkwood.

So here we go! Spring, Fall, dirt, and a new chart! *waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 16 2020, 11:38am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 16 2020, 1:37pm

Post #5 of 22 (1923 views)
Shortcut
From the Lonely Mountain to Beorn’s House [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is a strange time for Bilbo, Gandalf, the dwarves and me. We've finished Karen Wynn Fonstad's chart, her last one from her book and Eowyn's Challenge website. Bilbo took the Arkenstone to Bard, Thranduil and Gandalf at their camp and faced the Battle of Five Armies. So now I'm starting the next chart (one I've made) that takes us from the Mountain to Beorn's home via a journey north of Mirkwood.

Indeed! Here is one breakdown of that journey, taken from The One Ring Roleplaying Game (distances might be a bit shorter than indicated by other sources).

First leg: Northern Dalelands (Border Land)
90 miles across open terrain (5 days).

Second leg: Grey Mountains Narrows (Wild Land)
170 miles across wasteland (17 days).

Third leg: from the Upper Anduin Vales to the House of Beorn (Border Land, Free Land)
50 miles across rugged terrain and 80 miles across open terrain (8 days).

No need to list Fatigue Tests; we aren't using game mechanics here! Travel times are estimates, but 30 days seem about right to me. Rate of speed is estimated at 20 miles per day on foot, 40 miles per day on horse or pony, with modifiers for the type of terrain.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 16 2020, 1:45pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 16 2020, 5:00pm

Post #6 of 22 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Finally reached "Crickhollow -- spend the night." [In reply to] Can't Post

So I think I will. When I set out again, I'll have the challenge of Old Man Willow ahead of me, which coincides with local willows budding out ahead of other trees, so they really stand out. I might just have to settle into the crack of one for a nap. *yawn*

Lots of daffodils are greeting me these days, along with lots more "masked" walkers, put in quotes because face coverings are all over the place, and some are just bandanas while otherwise are colorful home-sewn ones, but whatever--use what you can.

That's a lot of dirt to move around, Gramma. Can't you find a more or less decent giant to move it for you while the humans are in quarantine? You can connect through a wizard; I suggest finding the wizard by going through the Hobbiton Yellow Pages and searching "Fireworks." Smile
Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 17 2020, 11:41am

Post #7 of 22 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll compare this to my chart... but I won't be making any changes ;) Though I'll hand it to the gamers/role-players... I'm sure their calculations and process were/are top-notch! Many focused minds on the task compared to a gramma (not gamer ;)

Thanks!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 17 2020, 11:47am

Post #8 of 22 (1854 views)
Shortcut
*smile spreads* Brilliant! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Good plan on staying at the Inn! You deserve a break. Especially if you're about to face "The Tree!" If you feel sleepy... go faster!!

I'm so glad the flowers are greeting you properly and that you're still getting some great walks in. What a wonderful picture!

Hauling dirt is one of the things I do best! :D Although by the 3rd hr in a row, I'd let that giant have a go at it. *ponders... grabs hobbity yellow pages*

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 17 2020, 2:53pm

Post #9 of 22 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Don't change a thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect you to alter your own charts. I just thought it would be fun to cite the one from the game for comparison since it covers the exact same ground.

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 17 2020, 11:07pm

Post #10 of 22 (1836 views)
Shortcut
We're not off by much :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The game is about 96 miles less... and you even say that it might be a bit shorter. I was looking for the map to compare with the 3-4 I was referencing; but I know it's probably not just hanging out there waiting for me to stumble along ;)
I appreciate the info! Figuring these things out is bunches of fun!! :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 18 2020, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 22 (1814 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the scale on TOR's maps is just a little bit off, making distances on them a little shorter than they should be.

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 23 2020, 11:47am

Post #12 of 22 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this finds you all feeling well and enjoying a lot of progress on whatever it is you're doing to fill your time! I especially want to give a big shout-out to those of you who are working through this pandemic. Although I'm sure you're employer and you are doing everything necessary to protect you while you keep things going for the rest of us... you're still at a higher risk with that exposure. *gramma bows* Thank you for literally giving yourself for the good of the rest of us... and please take care. This first wave of the virus is teaching us a lot, and you're on the front line of the battle. You're wonderful!

As to our Walking and mileage-building Activities... I hope you're coming along great and enjoying the journey! As "they" say, it's not the destination that's so important; but the journey. That's where we learn and achieve the most. I'm a slow learner... so I'll be at it for a while ;)
As for Bilbo, Gandalf, the dwarves and me... we have put Erebor well behind us as we travel at ease with Thranduil and his people. We're making north along the eastern edge of Mirkwood where we will soon come to our time to say goodbye. In the meanwhile, Bilbo enjoys watching 3 very different leaders, Elf, Skin-changer and Wizard, discuss the world and all they've seen. For Bilbo (and me), thoughts of home and hearth and the comfort of the easy chair waiting there is always now at the front of mind.
Take care on your Quests, and may the Road rise up to meet you! *waves fondly* See you there :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2020, 9:53pm

Post #13 of 22 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

BOOM! Everyone wave bye-bye to April 2020! We made it! :D

I hope you're all holding up and feeling well. I also hope you're enjoying the slower-paced world as much as possible. There are so many different levels of concern for each of us; but I'm so impressed with how everyone is doing their part the best they can until we can wave bye-bye to this virus running the world. Our own personal Sauron forcing a cloud over all the lands. HOWEVER... we all know how that ended up :D There will come a cloudless day... I promise!

In the meanwhile, how are you coming along on your own personal quest? Are you able to get outside and grab some good weather or are you getting ready to hunker down for the colder months in the Southern hemisphere? There's always something to do to keep moving and staying healthy.

I've been pulling up the sod where I'm working on the yard and putting it where I just dismembered that mound of dirt. AND I just had a 10-yard load (dumptruck full) of topsoil dumped into my yard this week. I'm starting on fixing my yard drainage; got pvc pipes, rolls of plastic water barriers, some grass seed and my shovel and wheelbarrow... so I'm ready to get "soiled" and dirty... as soon as it stops raining!!! *taps foot*

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I have left Thranduil and his troops behind and are heading north along the Mirkwood treeline. We're going to be at this for a while; but it's nice to have these 2 awesome thumpers along. No worries of stray goblins or wargs here!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a high-mileage week! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 30 2020, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 22 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Great elephants, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Topsoil and plastic and pipes, oh my! Have you worked out how many "miles" you go, for every hour you spend on this job? Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 1 2020, 1:53pm

Post #15 of 22 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Yep. I have a whole formula thingy [In reply to] Can't Post

It is figured by hours/minutes of activity. I keep track of the actual activity and time expended with any project I work on and apply the mileage from the pertinent items below. These are taken from the chart in the Walk to Rivendell "Resources Page"– Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart link.

Mile conversions of 1-hour physical activity I use the most

5.5 Aerobics, general
5.9 Aerobics, high impact
7.2 Aerobics, step aerobics
3.0 Calisthenics, light
6.8 Calisthenics, vigorous, pushups, etc.
5.1 Carrying 16-24 pounds, upstairs
6.8 Carrying 25-49 pounds, upstairs
3.4 Gardening, general
3.7 Raking lawn
5.1 Shoveling snow by hand (and dirt)
2.5 Walking 2.5 mph
3.4 Walking pushing wheelchair
3.8 Weeding, cultivating garden
2.5 Weight lifting, light workout
4.7 Mowing lawn, walk, power mower

I walk a 20-minute mile (age/arthritis), so I adjust for that, too.

This project will include: raking/moving landscaping/bedding stone along the front of the house; moving the dirt by shoveling/wheelbarrow to spot in yard; surface sod shoveled up and moved/transplanted by wheelbarrow to opposite end of yard (lots of barrow/walking/pushing/lifting); digging trench for pvc drain pipe (40 ft); raking/compacting laid dirt and seeding... there's a bunch of different activities in this project, so lots of figuring to do. And you know how friendly numbers and I are ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 1 2020, 2:11pm

Post #16 of 22 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! History and Resources Links [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! AN EXPLANATION & HISTORY

Walk to Rivendell… and Beyond! Resources Page

Walk to Rivendell Postcards

Walk to Rivendell Shields and Articles

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 1 2020, 2:14pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2020, 4:01pm

Post #17 of 22 (1540 views)
Shortcut
How much is expended [In reply to] Can't Post

in getting exhausted just reading that list of all you'll be doing? Laugh

I hope you have great weather for that project! Last I looked, May should be a bit cooler than normal in the northern areas, which will help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 1 2020, 6:26pm

Post #18 of 22 (1529 views)
Shortcut
In the middle of the Old Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

Between allergies and rainy days, I haven't been walking as much, and comparing my mileage to the charts, it seems I'm stuck somewhere in the midst of the Old Forest, so it will be awhile before I reach Tom & Goldberry. But we hobbits are a hardy folk, and it's still nice to get outside even for short walks on gloomy days. Certainly the sense of social deprivation is hitting everyone: a friend texted me a week ago, asking if we could walk on a day of heavy downpours--sorry, no (it's a happy marriage, but I think he needed a little break from his wife). And my landlady and I normally chat for 5-10 minutes when we cross paths, but recently she pinned me down with an hour-long conversation, made all the more awkward by us getting used to talking to each other through masks and sounding so oddly muffled.

On the plus side, I Iive across from a large park where people walk their dogs, and it's become fun to watch dogs have "play dates" with each other and run around in dog-invented games, oblivious to stressed humans. One dog has no hind legs and has his hind quarters supported by a wheeled contraption, and he runs fast to chase the tennis balls his human throws for him as if everything is normal. So these days, I'm getting resilience lessons from dogs.

But one in particular, just yesterday, sat and studied me--it was eerie but not threatening, then he sat and studied other people, as if he could tell something is a little off with humans, and he couldn't figure it out, but he was close. It would not have stretched my imagination if a camera crew were by his side while he whispered, "And now the humans come close to each other in the urban jungle yet maintain this mysterious six feet of distance while also covering their faces, which has never before been reported in 100 years of The Canine Journal of Humans' Bizarre Behavior Patterns." I can only guess at what the feline journals are saying.

So, keep walking and keep the animals guessing. It's May 1st, and the weather is welcoming us outside when we can accommodate it.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 1 2020, 6:29pm

Post #19 of 22 (1527 views)
Shortcut
"lots of barrow/walking/pushing/lifting" [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see "barrow wighting" in that list, so I'm glad you're barrowing along safely. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 1 2020, 11:01pm

Post #20 of 22 (1509 views)
Shortcut
The Dog Days are here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your story about the Park Pooches... and how much you enjoy just watching them. Except for the dude who was watching YOU! I'll bet you're right that he has a sensitivity that helps him pick up on ailments or mood. I have a friend who had a dog that signaled her when she was about to have a seizure. He'd get anxious (not hyper) and get her to sit down... even if just on the ground. Within minutes, she'd have a very bad seizure and he'd lay next to her and hold her down with his front legs and head/chin.
I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your longer walks, although it's great that you're still getting some miles in. Remember... to avoid conversations... NO EYE CONTACT! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 2 2020, 1:17am

Post #21 of 22 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting about your friend's dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Dog owners (which I was in the past when I had the space for one) always have stories about how dogs can somehow tell you're going to go on a trip even before you even touch or look at your luggage, so they're uncanny in picking up on stuff about humans. I've never been intently studied by Doggie Howser, Canine Anthropologist like that before.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 5 2020, 10:56am

Post #22 of 22 (1330 views)
Shortcut
More Resources and Conversion Aids [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a link from 2011 post with more guidance on how to make conversions along with more mileage/steps charts. Walk to Rivendell TORn-Up Conversion Aids

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 5 2020, 10:57am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.