Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Tartan Day reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 7, 3:03pm

Post #1 of 6 (285 views)
Shortcut
It's the Tartan Day reading thread! Can't Post

Although I realize that not all of us are into tartans and other Scots items, so Tartan Day (April 6) passes largely unnoticed. The best photo I saw yesterday was that of a man who made himself a face mask like a miniature kilt, complete with sword-shaped pin. The legend; "Don't Get Kilt!"

On my e-reader, I finished the third book in Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series, The Hollow of Fear. Now that she's established the premise---that Sherlock Holmes is really a woman---Thomas has written a much more focused and solid mystery which still brings in all the characters and situations from the earlier books. I fear the ending is, yet again, a little too complicated, but the stories are entertaining.

I'm now listening to a recent Ian Rankin novel, Even Dogs in the Wild. Edinburgh police detective John Rebus comes out of boring retirement to join two former colleagues in solving the murder of a prominent judge and hopefully heading off a gang war. The narrator speaks with such an emphatic Scots accent I'm glad my ears have had a lot of experience with Scots dialect. (Yes, there's a stray dog in the story, but so far I have no idea where the title comes from.)

I've just started a book on paper, Mudlark: In Search of London's Past Along the River Thames by Lara Maiklem. Maiklem has spent the last fifteen years poking along the muddy foreshore of the River Thames at low tide and tells about her fascinating experiences and finds.

Please stay safe, dear TORnsibs! I hope you, too, have good stories to keep you entertained and optimistic during this difficult time.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Apr 7, 4:41pm

Post #2 of 6 (264 views)
Shortcut
losing steam on "The Kingdom of Copper" [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't quite put my finger on it. She's created a fascinating alternative Earth based on Islamic and Arabic mythology, peopled with interesting characters, and yet . . . something is missing. Perhaps it's that the action moves forward in weird jumps without filling us in on what when on in-between. Perhaps it's that the psychology of the characters isn't resonating with me . . . they're a bit cardboard. Or perhaps it's because the various threads of the plot don't seem to be weaving together well . . . or even that the plot itself is rather threadbare? I don't know. It's frustrating because I feel it could be so much more than it is.

So I've been re-reading the later "Dresden" books, written by someone who gets all of the above right.

On Facebook I was participating in a discussion on how bad the writing in "Eragon" is, along with "Twilight," "50 Shades of Grey," etc. and yet they are bestsellers, and someone posted this:

I'd just point out the difference between bad writing and bad storytelling. As a writer, I strive to do both well. But, I also publish on a fairly fast schedule, so I'll take good storytelling over sparkling writing, because my readers accept that (most of the time, they ding me if I get lazy). Because the honest truth is, most readers in many/most genres, especially in genre fiction? They generally don't care too much about the quality of writing, as much as they do about the quality of the story. That said, I completely agree that the success of bad writing is infuriating, but it does remind me that, for my writing at least, I don't need to work toward my preferred personal level of technical execution (and my need of money outweighs the desire to write sparkling prose).

All I could do was respond with a "sad" emoji. I won't be looking for her books, that's for sure.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7, 8:03pm

Post #3 of 6 (256 views)
Shortcut
The Stand [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about a fifth of the way through and while King takes his time telling the story, it's really holding my attention.

Some parts of it echo our real-world experiences with Covid-19, such as checkpoints being set up to block visitors from towns (that's happened in a couple of places in NZ); but the fatality rate of 99% seems ridiculously high, even for fantasy. Ah well, perhaps the scientists were just really, really good at their job..

But King's claim that influenza didn't exist more than 100 years ago appears to be complete bollocks.

I took a break and read White Knight - one of the Dresden Files books. I had forgotten a couple of crucial details so I'm glad I'm doing this refresher before his two new books come out later this year.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 7, 9:26pm

Post #4 of 6 (246 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

The fiction-publishing business is in such a state these days that "fast before good" isn't at all unusual. Sad emoji indeed.

As for Eragon, a prominent fantasy writer told me s/he'd been ask to give a blurb for it, but thought it was so weak and derivative s/he'd declined. That it went on to be a bestseller had us both shaking our heads. And this was many years ago, when the business was a lot healthier.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Apr 9, 1:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (129 views)
Shortcut
The Stand thumbs up [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of his best. Letís hope we donít start having prophetic dreams.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Apr 9, 1:52pm

Post #6 of 6 (127 views)
Shortcut
Comfort reads ó lots of Nora Roberts [In reply to] Can't Post

Revisiting my personal library as I really prefer books to e readers. Worked my way through The Macgregors series and the Calhoun Women And the time and again duo. Undercurrents is the one newer novel I have and while a solid story it reminded me so much of SHelter in Place that I have to give it a B.

Roberts older romance series deliver exactly what they were expected to be though I going to have to stop soon and reread DAvid Weberís March to the Sea or some Heinlein to get the sugar out of my system. Maybe even some of Stephen king or Dean Koontz.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.