The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Public Service Announcement re U.S. Small Businesses

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 3 2020, 6:56am

Post #1 of 9 (284 views)
Shortcut
Public Service Announcement re U.S. Small Businesses Can't Post

As we all know, small businesses all over the world are getting pummeled during these crazy times.

As it so happens, my brother and sister-in-law own a small business that's been negatively impacted by all this. It's a dry cleaning store which, despite being designated an essential business (along with 'laundries', they clean medical and other uniforms), their business is down 85% from normal. (I have a small business too, but thank goodness I haven't been impacted). So, B.G. and I dedicated most of this week to researching recent U.S federal and state legislation and resources for helping small businesses survive.

The end result is that I put together a few slides in PowerPoint and pdf format that explains all the new U.S. financial resources for small businesses. The state slides are geared towards Colorado, but I included recommendations for how to find similar resources in other states.

If you're interested, or know anyone who owns a small business in the U.S. that needs some high-level guidance, let me know and I'll shoot you copies in both PowerPoint and pdf formats that you can share with whomever.

Also, if you're not in the U.S. but need help figuring things out, or know someone who does, please reach out to me either here or via PM. B.G. and I are ready to research any and all resources in any country to help keep small businesses, including independent contractors and sole proprietors, afloat. Same for unemployment benefits.

Hugs and all the best! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 3 2020, 9:02am

Post #2 of 9 (261 views)
Shortcut
NZ government financial support. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.business.govt.nz/covid-19/ COVID-19: Information for businesses
The government’s central resource for COVID-19 business information with updates about COVID-19 and guidance to help businesses. Here’s where you’ll find information about:
• latest news and updates
• wage subsidies and employment
• tax, ACC and cash flow
• health and safety
• landlords and tenants
• mental health and wellbeing
• working from home.
Please refer to the Ministry of Health for health-related information and COVID19.govt.nz for all other information from government.
COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) (external link) — Ministry of Health
Unite against COVID-19 (external link) — COVID19.govt.nz
One of my daughters is a massage therapist She applied for assistance as a sole trader working less than 20 hours a week. Within 3 days NZ$4200 was in her bank a/c. This is for 12 weeks.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2020, 10:19am

Post #3 of 9 (258 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* A lifeline for owners. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is wonderful! Since Small Businesses are able to start applying now, this is perfect timing; though I hear there may be some bugs to work out. Even someone doing a keyword search will find this post and feel relief that some straight-talk is available.

Well Done and Thank You!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 3 2020, 12:08pm

Post #4 of 9 (250 views)
Shortcut
Nice - thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a lot of work on your part, putting it all together into one package.

Finding information can be daunting, especially for already-stressed business owners. Thank you! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 3 2020, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 9 (232 views)
Shortcut
I've been impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

by how fast those payments have been made - which is exactly what's needed, to keep the businesses/workers afloat.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 3 2020, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 9 (236 views)
Shortcut
I had several long days this week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gathering and sorting 14 months' worth of payroll information to be ready for today, when SBA PPP applications are to be released (except now our bank says they won't be ready until at least tomorrow). With luck we'll get funds to keep us going for a bit.

It's very good of you to do this, Altaira.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Apr 3 2020, 9:27pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 3 2020, 10:14pm

Post #7 of 9 (231 views)
Shortcut
Although the guidance kept changing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Among many other uncertain variables, everything we heard from our bank and other sources said to provide detailed payroll information for January 2019 through February 2020, fourteen months in all. But today one of our board members, who works for another organization whose bank apparently is a little faster than ours, let us know they just got the official application and it calls for just the last twelve months. I hope that means through February not March, because at least it will be easier to knock off two months from the spreadsheet than to have to enter another six payrolls into it. But not using a full calendar year plus two months makes it harder for the people reviewing the application, because that would make two quarters not one that can't be reconciled to the 941 forms that are supposed to be included.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 4 2020, 12:18am

Post #8 of 9 (220 views)
Shortcut
That is very good news. "We have a plan" in action. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2020, 3:40am

Post #9 of 9 (210 views)
Shortcut
What a pain... [In reply to] Can't Post

My sympathies as you navigate through all this stuff. I don't know how in the world they can expect to use the first quarter 941 for 2020, when March is such a mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.