Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Early April: What are you watching?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 2, 6:47pm

Post #1 of 5 (175 views)
Shortcut
Early April: What are you watching? Can't Post

Special mention to Mari D for this spot-on, funny video, using LOTR & Hobbit movies, dubbed for our times. My biggest LOL moment was Pippin getting social distancing wrong in Moria. What was yours?

I continue looking for escapist comedies to get lost in. My latest is 30 Rock. For some inexplicable reason, some relatives had a "Terminator & sequels" marathon, and they deeply regretted it. Bingeing on dystopia is not recommended for most people right now.

What have you been enjoying?

Na Vedui
Rohan

Apr 3, 2:22pm

Post #2 of 5 (156 views)
Shortcut
Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

I would bet too that after Gandalf warned them to be quiet going through Moria, Pippin would be the one who hadn't switched off his mobile phone!
A friend lent me DVDs of an old British TV series from the 1970s - Fall of Eagles - about the last years of the Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Romanov dynasties. I missed it when it was new (noTV in those days). Really enjoyed it. A young Patrick Stewart as Lenin, Kurt Jurgens as Bismarck; the narrator was Michael Hordern who played Gandalf one time - I think in the BBC radio dramatisation of LOTR.

(This post was edited by Na Vedui on Apr 3, 2:24pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 3, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 5 (143 views)
Shortcut
Ex-royal families lying low in the present [In reply to] Can't Post

I often wonder what the descendants of the Tsar and the Kaiser etc. are up to in 2020. Just doing a little googling, I didn't get far, except that the Hohenzollerns were supporters of Hitler because they thought he'd restore the monarchy in Germany, at least as a figurehead. But in general, I wonder if they're all living in Monaco with fat bank accounts, or if they're delivering pizza because they finally went broke. And of course 100 years later, they would have multiplied through the generations, so maybe some are rich and some aren't. Still, those were royal families that were in power for centuries, and yet it seems like they've vanished from the face of the earth.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 5, 6:57pm

Post #4 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
watched the finale of "The Magicians" and immediately started re-watching the entire thing [In reply to] Can't Post

how I love that show.

I watched "Next in Fashion" which was . . . okay, and now I'm watching "Making the Cut" which I like more and more each episode. They certainly threw enough money at it to make it visually worthwhile.

Sad about the upcoming finale to "Modern Family." I only got into it a couple of years ago, but thanks to reruns I've seen most of it. I'm told I must start watching "This is Us" as my replacement, even though it's not a comedy.

I am watching videos of the various talk show hosts hosting stuff from home. And John Krasinski is now offering "Some Good News" from his house, which is both funny & uplifting.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Apr 16, 2:05pm

Post #5 of 5 (43 views)
Shortcut
Pixar's Onward [In reply to] Can't Post

Going into this film, I had really low expectations. The director was the same one who directed Monsters University, the Monsters Inc. prequel that nobody ever talks about; the trailers and marketing for the film were bad or uninspiring; and the film stars Chris Pratt, who is not high on the list of actors I like. But the reviews were solid, and I heard it had LOTR vibes, so I decided to try it out.
And I was surprised! Onward is actually a really good movie, one of the best that Pixar has ever made (in my opinion), and I've now watched it three times - which I rarely do, but especially not in the span of a single week. It's funny, emotional and almost perfectly edited, the animation is beautiful, the voice-acting is strong, and the LOTR references are fantastic. I see a lot of people ignoring or overlooking Onward for many of the same reasons I did, and I really just want to say: try it! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really loved this movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.