The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So...5 years after BOTFA.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Apr 1 2020, 5:01am

Post #1 of 12 (4092 views)
Shortcut
So...5 years after BOTFA. Can't Post

I just realized we're more than FIVE YEARS in since BOTFA was released in theaters...what a historical event (well, for those who enjoy the trilogy, anyway). What has changed for you in the meantime, regarding your views on the movies, or what else have you done in life on general? Cool

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Apr 10 2020, 2:26pm

Post #2 of 12 (3897 views)
Shortcut
So...no one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody wants to congratulate or celebrate the 5th year anniversay of BOTFA with merely a single post? Is this forum really this dead? Wink

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Apr 10 2020, 2:27pm)

Chen G.
Gondor

Apr 10 2020, 7:51pm

Post #3 of 12 (3879 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably wait [In reply to] Can't Post

untill I see the film again, which will be presently.

I will this for now: The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies are the closest these films come to David Lean epics, in terms of character and story.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 11 2020, 1:03pm

Post #4 of 12 (3793 views)
Shortcut
OK, I’ll play. [In reply to] Can't Post

I happen to have rewatched TH trilogy a couple of months ago and if anything, love them more now and have a greater appreciation of both their exuberance and their pathos. So congratulations to the film makers on their achievement five years later.

I’m old and five years is not that long to me so it’s not surprising that my views haven’t changed that much since DOS was released. Nor has my life changed that much – I just keep getting older. Wink

Paolo, you said on another thread that as a Hobbit movie lover you sometimes get angry debating with those who dislike TH trilogy. It’s not worth it.

Just remember that many Hobbit movie haters simply didn’t get the adaptation of The Hobbit that they wanted to see and thus are disappointed, sometimes bitterly. It’s actually kind of sad because all of us are lovers of Tolkien’s books. Others have technical complaints about the films as films, like the use of CGI, and they’re entitled to that opinion. Some haters are obnoxious about it, sinking to elitism, intellectual snobbery and personal attacks on the film makers, but it’s not worth getting angry. After all, despite lukewarm critical reception, the Hobbit movies were massively successful commercially which indicates that a great number of people enjoyed them. We lovers of TH movies are the lucky ones.

The same applies to the LotR movies, but there the haters are up against huge critical as well as popular success and a cultural phenomenon.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 11 2020, 1:31pm

Post #5 of 12 (3781 views)
Shortcut
Paulo, sorry I spleed your name wrong// [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 11 2020, 3:31pm

Post #6 of 12 (3762 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd probably have gotten better and more responses four months ago at the time of the actual anniversary. BotFA remains my least favorite of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth films due to the liberties he took with the source material including the more self-indulgent aspects of the movie. There are still many things to like about the movie, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to say that I love it.

#FidelityToTolkien

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Apr 12 2020, 1:06am

Post #7 of 12 (3709 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for playing along. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Isilmo
The Shire

Apr 12 2020, 9:08pm

Post #8 of 12 (3610 views)
Shortcut
I love it now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit,I really didn't like The Battle Of The Five Armies when I saw it on opening night back in 2014. I still went and saw it a second time though. Still felt a bit letdown by it on that second viewing. Although once I watched the extended edition,I thought it was a great film. Those 20 minutes really help the story.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 2 2020, 2:28am

Post #9 of 12 (3171 views)
Shortcut
No problem. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 2 2020, 2:30am

Post #10 of 12 (3172 views)
Shortcut
I haven't much time... [In reply to] Can't Post

to post here nowadays, so that's why I missed the exact 'anniversary' of the movie. Smile

Nevertheless, your input/opinion is appreciated.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 3 2020, 3:37am

Post #11 of 12 (3106 views)
Shortcut
I also greatly enjoy... [In reply to] Can't Post

the extended edition!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jun 21 2020, 4:28pm

Post #12 of 12 (2285 views)
Shortcut
They Are Very Underrated [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is every bit as good as LOTR IMO and DoS would be too without the love story stuff.

BOFA is the only one I struggle with at times, but there is way more good than bad. That middle section of the film (from when the Elves start sieging Erebor until Thorin's charge up Ravenhill) is REALLY good.

1) FOTR 2) AUJ 3) ROTK 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.