The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
how are you supporting businesses now?

Annael
Immortal

Mar 25 2020, 5:55pm

Post #1 of 22 (657 views)
Shortcut
how are you supporting businesses now? Can't Post

I thought we might have a separate thread on this.

Some things I'm doing:
- ordering books online from my local indie bookstore. They put the books in a bag with one's name on them and put the bag on a rack outside the door; they have also volunteered to drop them off at people's homes. (I will be taking the advice I got today to "sterilize" my new books in the oven at 175F for an hour.)
- ordering out from restaurants we usually patronize. Again, they either put the bags on a table outside the door or deliver. (I wear gloves and dump the food onto hot plates.)
- donating to my favorite arts organizations whose productions I'd normally attend. Many of them are streaming videos for free, but usually with a button for donations.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2020, 6:28pm

Post #2 of 22 (608 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately we can't until NZ's lockdown ends in a month. [In reply to] Can't Post

Due to all but necessary stores being closed, we can't order any online goods from NZ businesses, except food deliveries, as there's no one at the premises to pack the items. We can buy from overseas still but often it's a two-week delivery period - likely to be longer right now as emergency goods get shipping priority.

But after the lockdown I bet there'll be a huge retail rush.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2020, 11:11am

Post #3 of 22 (588 views)
Shortcut
I wish the shops I frequent were open. [In reply to] Can't Post

What great suggestions on how to support our community/local stores. Sadly, I rarely went to restaurants even when I could... but I have thought of going once a week just to support them. No bookstores here. The only places open right now are the franchise drive-thrus; gas stations; stores and banks (window only). But the extra effort to support those who are staying open is important.
My vet (Dr. Pol) is also staying open. Pickle (my dog) is due for heartworm testing and meds to protect him from buggies. I pull into the parking lot and call to let them know I'm here. They come out to the car and take Pickle into the clinic, then bring him back.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 27 2020, 11:21am

Post #4 of 22 (589 views)
Shortcut
I think by the time this is over [In reply to] Can't Post

we might have got out of the habit of doing certain things like going out for a meal/coffee, browsing local book or gift shops etc - but it'll be more important than ever to get out there and support the small independent local businesses that have survived when we're out and about again. Livelihoods are at stake. I usually use my local shops, plant nurseries etc regularly anyway because they're very convenient, but I rarely use local cafes because I'm on a limited budget and they feel too close to home! Maybe I'll change that in future.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2020, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
You're right about that! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we've gotten the "all clear", it's going to be very important to head out and support our local businesses!

At present we're doing more local take-out than usual. I've never heard such happy voices when I call up and ask to place an order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 27 2020, 1:47pm

Post #6 of 22 (578 views)
Shortcut
Drive-up and Mail Services [In reply to] Can't Post

The game store we currently frequent (Dragon Snack Games, 3909 Maple Rd., Buffalo, NY) has instituted curb-side pick-up for the duration. I've also ordered some reading material thru Barnes & Noble.

#FidelityToTolkien

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 27 2020, 9:22pm

Post #7 of 22 (570 views)
Shortcut
No takeaway food for us [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything is closed.A number of people may have woken up on Thursday morning and realised that they don't know how to cook.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2020, 9:47pm

Post #8 of 22 (567 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully they know [In reply to] Can't Post

how to pour a box of cold cereal...I'd been told that my grandfathers didn't know how to boil water.

We have loads of prepared single meals in our grocery stores. If take-out closed here, I can see those disappearing off the shelves very quickly!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2020, 8:18am

Post #9 of 22 (556 views)
Shortcut
I never learned to cook from scratch [In reply to] Can't Post

just to assemble meals from ingredients. Now I can't even buy taters or fresh bread. Mr. E can make grilled cheese with frozen bread; otherwise we depend on take-out. I am particularly worried about a couple of my favorite waitresses who need their tips, but I don't know to give them extra money.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2020, 2:12pm

Post #10 of 22 (546 views)
Shortcut
Getting tips to the waitstaff [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I knew how to do that, too. I know places prefer if you pay by card, but the take-out receipts don't have a place to write in a tip. And right now paper money is frowned upon.

I tried disinfecting some paper money at work - I have a maintenance-quality spray disinfectant there, I used it on some bills yesterday and they held up, then slid them into a plastic bag without touching them. But then the problem is, I've been touching the bag!

There's got to be a solution...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 29 2020, 6:18am

Post #11 of 22 (541 views)
Shortcut
My line of business is shut down for a while. [In reply to] Can't Post

I work in theater, and we had to cancel the final two shows of our seven-show season (which would have been playing now through May), and we have no idea what the world of theater will look like in the fall, when we would normally start a new season. That uncertainly meant, sadly, that we had to lay off dozens of people.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2020, 7:31am

Post #12 of 22 (528 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid many in the arts and other "non-essential" gig economy workers are going to have a hard time getting things going again after this. I wish you all the best. Heart

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 29 2020, 3:16pm

Post #13 of 22 (527 views)
Shortcut
so sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

it's an especially tough time for the performing arts.

But better safe than sorry. My choir was to have had a rehearsal on March 9, which was cancelled. We've now heard that another choir in the area, one directed by a friend of mine, held a rehearsal on March 10. Half the choir came down with COVID19 and one of them has now died. My friend is devastated.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2020, 4:31pm

Post #14 of 22 (513 views)
Shortcut
My friend told me about that two days ago [In reply to] Can't Post

When he was delivering fresh eggs to us (his son keeps chickens). He's a bass in our choir, and sings in the local Capella Cantorum. He told us about that chorus meeting on March 10th, and of the 60 in the chorus, he said that 45 came down with the virus - and one had died.

Don't know if his numbers are accurate, but for even one member to die from this, that's devastating for the entire choral community! All of our sympathies to your friend and everyone in that chorus, we grieve with you. Frown

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2020, 6:27pm

Post #15 of 22 (496 views)
Shortcut
OMG, what awful news. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your friend has some support at her home and isn't self-isolating alone.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 31 2020, 1:31am

Post #16 of 22 (466 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine how she must be feeling. I'm glad she has a friend like you to hopefully keep her head above water.
Prayers for everyone in her choir.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 31 2020, 11:01am

Post #17 of 22 (434 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... I'm sorry, NEB [In reply to] Can't Post

Even knowing this might be coming, it's so hard. I've worked many jobs that all of this would be a horrible hit. I hope they're eligible for the federal aid coming, but even that's going to be a long wait. Hopefully they'll discover some actions that can cut the length of isolation and get them all back.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 31 2020, 11:04am

Post #18 of 22 (433 views)
Shortcut
OH! oh no. [In reply to] Can't Post

This virus is so insidious. How could we know the danger in the early days. I'm so sorry...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 31 2020, 11:07am

Post #19 of 22 (429 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad they're able to keep open [In reply to] Can't Post

It's got to be difficult for them to have the extra level of running; but it's better than closing altogether. My veterinarian is doing the same thing. People wait in the car while the workers fetch the pets or bring out meds.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Mar 31 2020, 6:00pm

Post #20 of 22 (402 views)
Shortcut
it's now 2 people [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the scariest part to me: no one got sick until three weeks later! Clearly the incubation period is longer than they thought at first.

The director's male btw. He and his wife & I sang together years ago. They met when he sang Frederick and she sang Ruth in a production of "Pirates of Penzance." He directed a special "summer choir" in our town one year, and that inspired him to get his PhD in Choral Directing (while she got her MFA in Vocal Performance; she now sings with the Seattle Opera Chorus). He directs two choirs, one for the local community college and then the Chorale. A nicer guy you could not meet. My heart aches for him and for all of them.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 31 2020, 11:40pm

Post #21 of 22 (377 views)
Shortcut
That is heartsickening. [In reply to] Can't Post

To lose yet another member - this is all a shock.

What a wonderful story about how that couple found each other. Have they been able to stay healthy?

Annael
Immortal

Apr 1 2020, 5:02pm

Post #22 of 22 (328 views)
Shortcut
he tested positive [In reply to] Can't Post

but hasn't been ill; nonetheless, they have been basically living separately in the same house, for what good it might do.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.