Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the April Fool's reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 31, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 3 (155 views)
Shortcut
It's the April Fool's reading thread! Can't Post

I hope we all enjoy some mild-mannered, good-spirited, April Fool's jokes tomorrow. I've already had very nasty one myself: we ordered a delivery of comfort food and so help me my hamburger and fries included food poisoning. We'd never visited that restaurant when it was open and I assure you we never will when it re-opens!

Anyway....

Iím listening to To Helvetica and Back by Paige Shelton, about a woman working in her grandfatherís print-and-paper shop in a small town in Utah. A old friend of his brings in her even older typewriter to be repaired and of course a mystery follows on. Itís got both the best and worst aspects of a cozy---the crime material is mild (despite a murder), but story can be silly---but I'm sufficiently entertained.

I finished the library e-version of the second book in Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series and segued straight into third, The Hollow of Fear, which starts with the same scene which ended number two. I still feel her plots are a bit wobbly but right now the stories themselves have some clever moments that also keep me sufficiently entertained.

I haven't yet decided what book on paper to start yet. With the library closed, I'm reduced to the, oh, 3000 books or so I have in the house, including several tempting ones I haven't read yet. We'll see what I'm in the mood for.

So what have you been reading?

Please take care of yourselves! Heart

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

(This post was edited by Lily Fairbairn on Mar 31, 3:20pm)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 31, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 3 (130 views)
Shortcut
The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates [In reply to] Can't Post

liking it very much. Also in the nonfiction realm, "Mindset" by Carol Dweck, about how having a "fixed mindset" (the idea that you cannot be any better than you are now, so mistakes need to be buried or denied or blamed on others) is self-defeating, while a "growth mindset" that allows you to treat mistakes as learning experiences is going to serve you and the people you are responsible to -- family, students, your constituents -- much better in the long run. I was raised by fixed-mindset parents and I was like that too until midlife when the Universe whupped me upside the head in a big way; I had to change or break, and I changed, and life is SO much better. Would love to be able to get this message across to others in my family and beyond, but the trouble with a fixed mindset is that it is just that: fixed.

In the fiction realm, I'm on to "Kingdom of Copper," the follow-up to "City of Brass." Fascinating world she's invented.

I'm also doing a partial re-read of the Harry Dresden books in preparation for the new one coming out soon. I started with "Turn Coat" as Ataahua recommended. I'd forgotten most of what happens in this book so it's been fun to re-read.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 31, 5:52pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 2, 5:28am

Post #3 of 3 (96 views)
Shortcut
The Life of William Morris by J.W. Mackail, 1899 [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had these two volumes unread on my shelves for at least 5 years, and now when the solitary weeks stretch on, I've decided to take them down at last. Fortunately for fans of William Morris, they can be found in PDF for free at the Internet Archive, and the link is here. The original illustrations are worth a look.
https://archive.org/...ack/page/12/mode/2up

I'm mentioning it because I was struck by a quote from Morris' The Beauty of England near the beginning. (page 13 in the PDF) Does it remind you of anywhere in Middle-earth in particular?

"...this unromantic, uneventful-looking land of England..." "The land is a little land;...... there are no great wastes overwhelming in their dreariness, no great solitudes of forests, no terrible, untrodden mountain-walls: all is measured, mingled, varied, gliding easily one thing into another: little rivers, little plains, swelling, speedily-changing uplands, all beset with handsome orderly trees; little hills, little mountains, netted over with the walls of sheepwalks; neither prison nor palace, but a decent home." And in that decent home there dwelt until the coming of the evil days, "a people rustic and narrow-minded indeed, but serious, truthful and of simple habits."
Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.