Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta, everyone!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Mar 29, 3:28pm

Post #51 of 66 (603 views)
Shortcut
ZOOMing along here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to have become the local Zoom meeting coordinator. We're now doing our WW meetings virtually, and several of the women in my "breakfast club" were having trouble getting on/getting their audio & video going the first week, so I set up a separate meeting for everyone to practice. It was so nice to see each other that we agreed to have our own meeting after the WW meeting each week (honestly, we get more out of that time anyway, sharing advice & ideas). And now I'm setting one up for my choir at our usual rehearsal time because we miss each other so much. (The joke is that our person-in-charge has to make announcements at the halfway point!)

I just heard a very fun idea I want to share (and make happen for myself). One of the choir folk got invited to take part in a Zoom "table read" of The Princess Bride. They didn't have assigned parts, they just read paragraphs in turn. Apparently it was a blast. I used to host parties where we read Shakespeare plays, and while many people were hesitant at first it was amazing to see how into it they got - after a while people were bringing costumes!

I'm thinking of proposing a "table read" of "Airplane" if I can find the script online, among my family.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29, 4:41pm

Post #52 of 66 (594 views)
Shortcut
Don't call me Shirley! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wondering about using Zoom for choir rehearsals - would there be a problem with lag time? We'd have to pause often for a couple of our guys to make snarky remarks. Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29, 6:58pm

Post #53 of 66 (584 views)
Shortcut
So true about ISS crew [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd love to hear their perspective. What a great incentive on your projects! *bows deeply* Way cool!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 29, 9:53pm

Post #54 of 66 (566 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, orange and ginger scones! Like the sound of those - must try them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a friend who makes a truckload of marmalade every year and there's a recipe online that uses marmalade, which I've passed on to him.

cats16
Valinor

Mar 30, 12:08am

Post #55 of 66 (560 views)
Shortcut
Spring has come! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen such beautiful blue skies in Los Angeles. Now I really know what the pollution does to us. Crazy They've closed beaches and hiking trails here due to people not being responsible. One can dream, though!

Love the phobia list--and I have to say, "Fear of the Navel" sounds something like a wonderful as-yet unpublished Thomas Hardy novel. Angelic

Everyone in my world is safe and sound thus far. I've gone on a couple of long walks in the neighborhood while on the phone with family/friends. I did my first Zoom with my parents, whom I usually just call by phone, so we'll probably do that more moving forward.

I've been keeping all of the doctors and nurses in my thoughts. Lots of sad stories out there already, but so many heroes as well.

Wishing everyone a safe week ahead!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30, 12:53am

Post #56 of 66 (547 views)
Shortcut
Pollution? What pollution? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Back when the 1984 Olympics were in Los Angeles, we traveled out there and stayed with relatives in San Gabriel for a week. One morning when I walked out onto their deck, I was shocked to see mountains in the distance - they had not been there before! It was my first time dealing with that level of pollution.

I'm glad you're still able to walk around your neighborhood. Stay healthy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 30, 1:22am

Post #57 of 66 (544 views)
Shortcut
I remember flying into LA from San Francisco [In reply to] Can't Post

for The Return of the One Party and wondering what the brown smudge was on the horizon, which got darker and thicker the closer we got to LA.

I was shocked when I finally twigged it was air pollution.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 1:55am

Post #58 of 66 (541 views)
Shortcut
Looks like you picked the wrong week to give up hiding at home! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a very cool idea!!! Airplane is a HOOT! They're so lucky you know how to get around ZOOM and all that online stuff. ;) Isn't it amazing how this huge inconvenience has spawned so many great ways to get together!? :D GOOD LUCK!

Anybody want a peanut?

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 30, 1:57am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30, 2:22am

Post #59 of 66 (539 views)
Shortcut
Walking and Zooming :D [In reply to] Can't Post

We're all moving around in one way or another! I'm so glad you and yours are doing good. One day at a time while prayers are out for our first responders, medicals, drivers, stores, etc. All of those who are still at work hour after hour in contact with a potential infection from each person they help.

Clear blue skies are a wonder! I'm amazed (but really not) that it's so visible now that the pollution is down.

Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Apr 1, 10:42am

Post #60 of 66 (418 views)
Shortcut
late request for thoughts and prayers [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. E was tested Tuesday for COVID-19. Results expected in 4-5 days. We don't think he has it, but he does have a high number of risk factors and so his doctors wanted him tested.
I seem to be fine, just suffering from cabin fever. We have been sheltering at home under strict directions from the mayor. Our two cats are delighted with the extra attention.
Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected medically or economically from the pandemic,ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Annael
Immortal

Apr 1, 4:58pm

Post #61 of 66 (391 views)
Shortcut
you got it // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 1, 9:08pm

Post #62 of 66 (382 views)
Shortcut
Thinking of both Mr. E and you, Elanor, and a good result. / [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2, 12:32am

Post #63 of 66 (374 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Prayers for YOU, TOO!! It's incredible that you have to wait so long for results. Keep extra busy to make the time pass faster. Get a REALLY hard jigsaw puzzle! :D 3 days gone just like *snap* that!

*warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 2, 6:48pm

Post #64 of 66 (327 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts & prayers headed your way, Elanor. And fingers crossed too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Apr 8, 7:56am

Post #65 of 66 (269 views)
Shortcut
still waiting, a la mode [In reply to] Can't Post

A neighbor gave us two cloth masks for going out.
Mr. E called for his COVID results Tuesday and was told that it might take another week to receive them. At this rate we'll complete the 14-day quarantine first.

One of our outside feral cats has gone missing; we hope a coyote didn't get her.
Otherwise good weather and plenty of TP. Best wishes to all TORNsibs.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 8, 12:11pm

Post #66 of 66 (210 views)
Shortcut
Seriously!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another week!!!!??? It's almost useless when it takes so long. Even if you didn't have it when you took the test, you could have caught it by the time you get the results! I hope you both are doing well. Is he any worse?

I'm glad you have masks. What great neighbours :) I've just finished making a couple. Hang in there!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.