Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 6
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13, 1:24am

Post #26 of 35 (887 views)
Shortcut
Particularly towards those who put the monument on that hill [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(my route goes right past Bunker Hill's Monument, but I refrained from shooting anyone before I saw the whites of their eyes, which I considered a wonderful sign of self-control).

Since it was Breed's Hill that was the site of the action! Tongue

I wonder if Hobbits spoke with a Bahston accent? "Meet you down by the Hahbah..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 13, 4:30am

Post #27 of 35 (867 views)
Shortcut
Pahk the yacht in the hahbuh, dahling // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19, 1:11pm

Post #28 of 35 (710 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

As Treebeard once said, "I have just come round to see how you are faring, my lads..." There's certainly a lot going on in the world and in our neighbourhoods; but getting busy with walking, running, cleaning, and whatever mileage-maker squeeks your duck is a great way to use the TIME creatively... and safely!

I'm attacking some huge home projects that have been calling out to me for too long. I guess I can't ignore them any longer ;)

What are you doing to clock the miles on your Quest? Make sure you're doing things that give you a feeling of accomplishment (grown up version) or having a bunch of fun (gramma version)!!!

Bilbo, the dwarves and I have finally beached our barrels and then made our way to Lake-town... just in time to celebrate Bilbo's birthday... thag you very buch!

Hang in there... and I'll see you on the Road... walking 6 feet beside you ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 1:33pm

Post #29 of 35 (712 views)
Shortcut
It's rainy today but might clear up later [In reply to] Can't Post

so I hope to put in some more mileage toward Crickhollow. I'm currently at

"And NOW to bed!" Pippin says, when BLACK RIDER is heard again (ca. 9 p.m.). ELVES arrive, RIDER leaves, and Frodo & Co. continue with Elves.

I don't normally gush over kids, but last week a man was walking toward me on the sidewalk with his toddler, who smiled and waved at me, then hid behind his dad's legs. The dad encouraged him to not be shy and to give me a high-five since I had already waved back. The kid went back & forth on the idea but decided to remain shy, and my squatting down to his level to seem less imposing for a high-five couldn't change his mind.

I bring this story up to show what a difference 10 days make. 10 days ago, it still seemed OK in a spontaneous situation to high-five a total stranger on the street. Neither party would think that now.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 4:52am

Post #30 of 35 (668 views)
Shortcut
Crickhollow! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Crickhollow always makes me happy thinking of a hot bath and dinner of mushrooms! I hope the rain holds off and lets you have a welcoming walk :)

And that is such a great story that now has a twinge of sadness to it. I was smiling through the whole thing... but the concern began creeping in. Yeah... it's such a difference 10 days make.

See you on the road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 26, 11:30am

Post #31 of 35 (579 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

We have reached the last MARCHing days of MARCH! Spring has finally arrived and those of us who are waving bye-bye to Winter are so grateful! For our Walkers who are just moving into their Fall, I hope you have a refreshing, colourful season that eases you into the change.

So many of us are now spending a LOT more time at home than usual. Are you adapting to your new schedule? Things always settle down and adjustments will become the new norm; but I hope all of you are staying healthy through these trying days. It's like playing hide n' seek with an invisible boogey-man! Hang in there! One day at a time will get us to a safe routine again :)

Are you getting some serious mileage built up? Lots of walking, cleaning *upchuck*, repairs and creativity will make the time go by faster. How are you spending your time? I'm hoping to work on some crafts I've been accumulating stones, twigs, treebark, etc. over the past 20 years. Yeah... it takes me a little while to get motivated ;) This is definitely helping! Do you have some projects going?

Bilbo, the dwarves and I have enjoyed our stay at Lake-town, but it's time for us to head for the Mountain. So we've manned some boats and packed up our supplies. We're officially on our way to the last leg of our Quest.

Take care, wash your hands, and I'll see you on the Road!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2, 1:14pm

Post #32 of 35 (538 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! April 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Were you very Foolish yesterday? (April Fool's Day) I sure was! But then again, it seems to be April Fool's Day in my world EVERY day ;) I do it very well without even trying!

So now that the Northern Hemisphere is squarely into Spring, what goals do you have for building mileage? Remember, walking/running/strutting/etc. are not the only way to accumulate miles. Do you like to follow any of the Eowyn Challenge Charts? I've been hitting the yard and moving a huge mound of dirt (10 ft circle 2 ft high) from here to there, picking up winter tree debris, antiquing the outside bricks of my new chimney, and too much more for me to look at right now! Each of those will be converted to mileage. CHA-CHING! And our Fellow Walkers in the Southern Hemisphere are nesting and prepping for their Winter months. There's ALWAYS something to do in the Fall and many projects to tackle while it cold outside. Tell us about your plans!

During these days and weeks of staying home, we're given a great opportunity to tackle many projects, both constructive (cleaning, repair) to creative (crafts, gaming). It's such a unique time, I can't help but seek to distract from the worrisome and embrace the inventive/artistic.

Meanwhile, on the Road, Bilbo, the dwarves and I are making our way from the River to the Mountain. Lots of signs of the dragon devastation all around us.

See you on the Road! Stay Safe!! :D

Walk to Rivendell explanation and resources

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 2, 7:36pm

Post #33 of 35 (529 views)
Shortcut
I've reached the fringes of Maggot's domain [In reply to] Can't Post

Reach area of the Marish with fields, meadows, hedges, gates, and drainage dikes.

I am seeing more walkers with masks on these days, and one person had a black scarf wrapped around their face, vaguely reminding me of a Black Rider (only without the horse and menace and other details). I read the news voraciously for a couple of hours every morning, then I go for a 60- or 90-min walk to clear my head, and the endorphins seem to hit me in 5 minutes.

I love spring and all the promise it offers (now the willows are budding out), plus I watch the swans, ducks, and geese on the nearby river, and they aren't concerned about viruses, or social distancing, or pretty much anything besides finding something to eat in the river mud (which makes me glad I didn't go to them for advice on what kinds of food to stockpile). They reminded me of this from LOTR, about animals ignoring human affairs:

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And one thing about a big fat white swan: they can't hide the fact that they're sitting on a nest of eggs, so I spotted one at a distance yesterday, meaning I should be in store for a bunch of swanlings (?) in the weeks ahead. I'm used to seeing the ducks and geese with their babies in tow, but for some reason have never seen swans with babies paddling behind them. Maybe this year.

How is your walk going?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2, 8:28pm

Post #34 of 35 (522 views)
Shortcut
I hear crowiing from nearby farms :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think of that quote all the time.

The pond/lake behind my childhood home had a little island of reeds, cattails, marsh sound enough for a returning family of swans to lay their eggs each year. And they do line up behind mom/dad with the other parent following up behind them. Sometimes we'd see a little one hitching a ride on a parent's back between their slightly lifted wings. They're so beautiful, but can be very mean if you enter their territory... so beware!

I'm not out around people except for an occasional dash to the store (living in the country... no deliveries); and I'm making a set of facemasks to reflect my mood, my personality, and a bit-o-Tolkien thrown in for good measure ;) While not a perfect defense, it's a good effort toward it. I don't need them for my walks since I might see 3-4 cars drive by in the 2-4 miles I travel. My walk is coming along really well. No pains, no issues.. so it's very lovely all around!

SOOOOOO!!!! We're having Mushrooms for dinner!? *slaver slurp* I'll bring the beer barrel! WELL DONE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 3, 5:47pm

Post #35 of 35 (484 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the swan warning [In reply to] Can't Post

They move so slowly and seem to spend their life posing for pictures, it's kinda hard to imagine them getting aggressive. But any animal parent can, of course. I've heard about geese attacking people, but the ones I see always yield the turf if they're on the park's grass, so I guess they're like Bombadil and have invisible territorial lines that only they can see and will get defensive about.

You managed social distancing years ago? Foresighted was Gramma! The rest of us are playing catch-up.

The masks sound like a good project. I've seen some circulated photos on Facebook where people are getting creative with homemade masks, like it's Halloween in the spring.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.