Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How are your communities keeping their spirits up in a time of Covid-19?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Tue, 10:37pm

Post #26 of 54 (217 views)
Shortcut
... crud. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Tue, 10:40pm

Post #27 of 54 (215 views)
Shortcut
Our local MP ... [In reply to] Can't Post

set up a 'mutual support group' which has loads of posts from people offering to help, and I'm in a WhatsApp group for my area of volunteers willing to help with shopping etc. The MP's office printed some of those cards where you could put your number and offer help or a friendly voice and I dropped some around my block and the neighbouring street (and then ran out before I could do the massive block of flats opposite). I got a couple of nice messages just saying hi and thanking me for posting the cards, including one from someone in my block who I've never spoken to. And I spoke briefly to a couple of my neighbours yesterday who then popped their numbers through my door. I didn't know their names before, we're not a terribly social block beyond smiling at each other if you pass someone on the stair. Or at least I haven't been terribly social. One of the other. So that's been a nice little positive.

Storm clouds

Starling
Half-elven

Wed, 12:08am

Post #28 of 54 (210 views)
Shortcut
And also [In reply to] Can't Post

if people are doing things like lending books or puzzles, the suggestion is to 'quarantine' them for 72 hours before touching what someone has given you, otherwise an unwelcome visitor can hitch a ride and burst your contacts bubble.

Moahunter
Rohan

Wed, 2:12am

Post #29 of 54 (201 views)
Shortcut
CDC findings..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Coronavirus traces fond on some surfaces in 2 cruise ships after 17 days.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:46am

Post #30 of 54 (196 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that was a shocker [In reply to] Can't Post

Previous info we had said a few hours on some surfaces, maybe 2-3 days at most on others. 17 days???

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:52am

Post #31 of 54 (191 views)
Shortcut
City-sponsored: share photos of your pets (on Facebook) [In reply to] Can't Post

My city just posted on FB encouraging people to share pet photos during quarantine. While I've seen *plenty* of pet photos on FB, I thought it was a good idea to balance all the other city posts about things closing, etc. And I think the rest of FB loves pet photos.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Wed, 11:08am

Post #32 of 54 (176 views)
Shortcut
A Kindergarten teacher reaches out [In reply to] Can't Post

This teacher called the home of each of her students one at a time and told them to come to the window or door or yard with a parent. When they did, she was in her car in their driveway just to say HI and that she missed them very much. The kids were delighted!! It took her 3 hours to reach each of her kids. You can touch someone without touching them :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Wed, 11:28am

Post #33 of 54 (171 views)
Shortcut
That's delightful! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's so much negative stuff about, we do need to keep smiling - every little helps. Or yelps, in some cases!

squire
Half-elven

Wed, 12:05pm

Post #34 of 54 (171 views)
Shortcut
That report seems to be misleading if not sensational [In reply to] Can't Post

As I understood it when I read comments on that report, the test could only detect the actual molecular architecture of the virus. It did not report at all on viability or virulence. Meanwhile every indication remains that the *living* virus dies off in a few days when exposed on inorganic surfaces.

In short, as one critic put it, what they found 17 days later were the skeletons of long-dead coronaviruses.

That said, it remains vital that we recognize that doorknobs, plastic bags, etc. can be infected for quite some time after being touched by contagious hands. Continue to use disposable wipes and to wash thoroughly before touching ones face.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:16pm

Post #35 of 54 (164 views)
Shortcut
Now *that* is AMAZING! What a terrific person she is.// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:30pm

Post #36 of 54 (163 views)
Shortcut
I do hope that's the case [In reply to] Can't Post

I read 2-3 articles on it basically saying the same information, and they glaringly left out the crucial detail about whether it was harmless viral residue or an active threat after 17 days. Hopefully we'll get more clarification on that.

Asian countries that have been turning the tide (or never had one) seem to practice 14-day quarantines, and they appear to work. But then again, this virus has only been known about for 4 months, so I'm sure we don't know everything about it yet.

Annael
Immortal

Wed, 5:47pm

Post #37 of 54 (151 views)
Shortcut
I was just told [In reply to] Can't Post

you can "bake" paper things like puzzles in your oven at 175F for an hour & it will sterilize them. Of course, then you need to be careful about how you transfer them. I have a box of surgical gloves and I am wiping things down.

Another tip: If the box of unopened food has a separate bag within it, that bag is probably safe, so take it out of the container and throw the container away.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Starling
Half-elven

Wed, 11:54pm

Post #38 of 54 (145 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be allowed to do something like that though.

Starling
Half-elven

Thu, 12:01am

Post #39 of 54 (141 views)
Shortcut
Here is a useful link [In reply to] Can't Post

How long does Coronavirus survive on different surfaces?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Thu, 1:05am

Post #40 of 54 (137 views)
Shortcut
They really do, y'know [In reply to] Can't Post

Miss their kids...Unsure What a great way to be able to keep in touch with them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Thu, 3:03am

Post #41 of 54 (134 views)
Shortcut
Really? :( [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so sad. Teachers need the boost, too. I hope your last day went ok. *hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Thu, 3:15am

Post #42 of 54 (137 views)
Shortcut
We're under lockdown in New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

No driving about other than for essential journeys, which basically means for medical care/collecting prescriptions, or brief trips to buy food. That's it. No visiting people, and no (what the Civil Defence Controller referred to as) going out driving "for a bit of a mooch". Many people will be finding it hard, but almost everyone (in fact I've heard no demurrals at all so far) agrees with the need.

We can go out on foot or by bike for exercise, but mustn't stop to chat with anyone other than our housemates.

As the PM and others have been telling us, we all have a job just now: it's to stay home and save lives.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Thu, 3:16am)

Starling
Half-elven

Thu, 4:30am

Post #43 of 54 (133 views)
Shortcut
As Kimi explains above [In reply to] Can't Post

It's due to our nationwide Level 4 Lockdown.We are in regular contact with our families in other ways. Smile

(This post was edited by Starling on Thu, 4:32am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Thu, 11:36am

Post #44 of 54 (101 views)
Shortcut
We're on lockdown, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll bet this news item happened before the serious lockdown just last week. The teacher didn't get out of her car or have direct contact... more like a shout-out from a distance.
Here in Michigan, as of Monday, we're not on the roads except for food/medical needs, too :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Thu, 11:41am

Post #45 of 54 (101 views)
Shortcut
Love the logo! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ was so wise to go right into a strict lockdown. Doing it piecemeal state-by-state is just prolonging getting this under control. There are a couple of states that aren't complying at all!!! Thank Goodness we have the kind of technology that gets us to our loved-ones remotely :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lissuin
Valinor

Fri, 8:21am

Post #46 of 54 (57 views)
Shortcut
We all feel a bit upside down down under. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 10:06am

Post #47 of 54 (50 views)
Shortcut
I have a soft spot for ruru. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a couple of convalescent ones and they're smaller than I'd expected.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Fri, 11:41am

Post #48 of 54 (49 views)
Shortcut
Morepork? Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fascinating! I love Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' books and his great, sprawling city of Ankh Morpork has an owl as part of its coat of arms. I always thought it was the product of his amazingly fertile imagination, but perhaps this little owl is where he got the idea. I have a lapel pin from the official Discworld merchandise that shows an owl holding an ankh - it's on my ukulele strap.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Fri, 2:54pm

Post #49 of 54 (40 views)
Shortcut
I had exactly the same thought! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 10:35pm

Post #50 of 54 (30 views)
Shortcut
I've been really impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

with the Government's messaging around the lockdown; it's been clear, simple and largely consistent. And Kiwis are taking on the terminology too - talking about 'staying in our bubble', 'we're in this together', 'be kind'. It really does feel like the community of NZ is backing this extreme measure so that everyone can stay safe.

My LOTR fan-fiction

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.