Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the equinox reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 24, 3:44pm

Post #1 of 13 (256 views)
Shortcut
It's the equinox reading thread! Can't Post

Whether it's the spring or the autumn equinox in your neighborhood depends, of course. Either way, let's hope that this change in seasons begins the return to equanimity and health for us all.

As the mayor of our Texas city says, "Y'all stay safe. Y'all stay healthy. Y'all stay home!"

On my e-reader I'm reading a library download of A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas, the second in her Lady Sherlock series. I very much enjoyed the first book's gender-reversal and slight skewing of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, but the premise is wearing thin this time because I'm finding the plot a bit scattered.

I'm listening to Sidney Chambers and the Persistence of Love, by James Runcie. I was dubious about this, because the TV dramatizations of the Chambers stories, The Grantchester Mysteries, are dark, grim and ugly---and Chambers himself is so messed up he's pathetic rather than sympathetic. However, this book (eight inter-related stories) presents Chambers as a mature married man dealing with (mostly) much milder mysteries in a much more positive way.

I'm in between paper books at the moment, and will probably pick up the 50th anniversary issue of Smithsonian. Fifty years? Shocked

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Mar 24, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 13 (222 views)
Shortcut
finished "City of Brass" by S. A. Chakraborty [In reply to] Can't Post

and have the next in the series, "Kingdom of Copper," on order. An alternative history/fantasy series set in the near East, with the premise that djinni are not only real but have their own, similar-yet-separate, cities and realms that co-exist with human domains much as the wizard and Muggle worlds co-exist in J.K. Rowling's Potterverse. Chakraborty evokes these worlds beautifully and the characters are fascinating. Another things I find interesting is how the story is grounded in Islamic practices, without ever really spelling them out - just like most of what I usually read is grounded in Christian assumptions, but the author never feels it necessary to explain those.

While I wait for that book (and a bunch of other stuff - we're ordering a lot of things online these days!), I have started Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall." I see why it won awards. She has a distinct writing style that I like very much.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 24, 4:35pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24, 7:50pm

Post #3 of 13 (215 views)
Shortcut
Red Rose, White Rose by Joanna Hickson [In reply to] Can't Post

A fairly once-over-lightly telling of Cicely Neville, wife of Richard Duke of York, mother of the future King Edward and grandmother of the two princes who disappeared from the Tower of London.

It's interesting to see this prelude to the War of the Roses, and from a woman's perspective. Although not a great read its a good distraction from real-life stuff.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 13 (214 views)
Shortcut
I am reading one of my favourite pony books [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have no shame. Cool

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 24, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (209 views)
Shortcut
We all need comfort reads! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 9:03pm

Post #6 of 13 (206 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 25, 5:10am

Post #7 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
Mantel's third book in that series is just out [In reply to] Can't Post

according to an profile in Time magazine

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 25, 1:57pm

Post #8 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
Happy Tolkien Reading Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got the last disc of the Mind's Eye audio dramatization of The Lord of the Rings in the CD player. Frodo and Sam are on their last push to Mount Doom.

#FidelityToTolkien

Annael
Immortal

Mar 25, 5:38pm

Post #9 of 13 (176 views)
Shortcut
speaking of the Princes in the Tower [In reply to] Can't Post

have you read "The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey? She has her detective laid up in hospital, and he passes the time by investigating the case of the princes' disappearance. The book triggered a movement to redeem Richard III's reputation.

Hilary Mantel's portrait of Sir Thomas More in "Wolf Hall" goes along with Tey's conclusions about him as a major "spin doctor" in assigning blame to the Plantagenets and making the Tudors look good.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 25, 6:28pm

Post #10 of 13 (173 views)
Shortcut
No I hadn't heard of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

What a cool way to pass the time in hospital - be a history detective. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25, 8:20pm

Post #11 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
I love "Daughter of Time" [In reply to] Can't Post

it's one that makes enjoyable re-reading, too.

Perhaps the most startling takeaway is the way the (apparent) facts of this story have been discovered then lost again so many times over the centuries.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 29, 1:04pm

Post #12 of 13 (128 views)
Shortcut
I have resorted to 'comfort reading' [In reply to] Can't Post

and have temporarily emigrated to the Discworld for my bedtime reading, where Terry Pratchett's characters, in their rich variety, are keeping me entertained and distracted from everyday issues in the real world. Thank you, Sir Terry - always.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 29, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 13 (109 views)
Shortcut
Isn't comfort reading lovely? [In reply to] Can't Post

And it contains no extra calories!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.