Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How are your communities keeping their spirits up in a time of Covid-19?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 9:11pm

Post #1 of 54 (397 views)
Shortcut
How are your communities keeping their spirits up in a time of Covid-19? Can't Post

Around the world we have countries that are responding differently to the emergency: some are in lockdown, some aren't; some are suffering especially badly, a tiny few are starting to come out the other side.

I've seen lots of messages about how people are planning to get their families through this, but do you know of any communities that are doing anything special to keep their wider population connected and upbeat? For those who have a 'stay at home' order, have your governments launched anything to help with social cohesion and connection?

My team is working on this type of project and I'd love to know what's happening elsewhere in the world. (I'll happily steal inspiration from anywhere.) Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 10:02pm

Post #2 of 54 (317 views)
Shortcut
A lot of it seems to be individuals and businesses taking charge. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the U.S. each state is setting its own rules while trying to abide by national ones.

But it's individuals, local communities, and businesses who appear to be taking charge in keeping things upbeat. Some examples:

Libraries are getting word out that their online products (ebooks, audiobooks, etc.) can be accessed, and encouraging those with no library card to sign up for them online.

Grocery stores are shortening their hours so that shelves can be re-stocked when customers are not there, and some have special hours for only elderly and medically-compromised customers to shop.

The food services for school systems are getting meals out to families who depend on them, either setting times for them to drive by the school and pick them up (as is the case for our small school), or driving around to different neighborhoods at set times to hand out meals (our principal's son heads the food service in a local city and organizes this).

Folks are doing grocery/pharmacy shopping for those who shouldn't be going anywhere. Inspirational messages are popping up as signs or written with chalk in roads. I drove by a house yesterday that had the sign "No Trick - Just Treats", and they'd put out all of their Halloween and Christmas decorations!

One friend has started "driveway get-togethers", driving up to a house, then chatting with friends as they stand or sit on their front porches. We're being encouraged to send "old-fashioned" cards and letters to each other.

There must be a lot of creative things happening all around!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 23, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 54 (318 views)
Shortcut
Near Wellington, NZ - same stay at home order as you :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Our community has a Facebook page (but I'm not on FB, so maybe now's the time?) Through it younger residents are volunteering to deliver groceries and essentials to olders at home and make phone call visits. Community notices can be posted. We have a small local newspaper bi-weekly, but I haven't heard if it will continue.

Zoom https://zoom.us/ is being discussed by our local theatre group to get us together online for group script readings now that the winter play is cancelled. Two local choirs are also talking about it.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Mar 23, 10:13pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 23, 10:17pm

Post #4 of 54 (318 views)
Shortcut
Facebook is really coming into its own at the moment - [In reply to] Can't Post

as time goes on, any form of social interaction will become more valuable. The local group is buzzing with offers of help of various kinds,- shopping, materials for children stuck at home, pictures of local spring flowers etc. Anything that helps to lift the spirits a little is good. Just adjust your privacy settings to ensure the world and his wife can't see what you post!

Some local children are putting painted rainbows in their windows for others to spot and count as they walk out for exercise - I think that's a widespread initiative.

At 5pm on Wednesday there's a push to get as many people in the UK as possible outside their homes (at a safe distance obviously!) to give a round of applause (and record and post on social media) to support the NHS staff who are working their socks off at considerable personal risk, to deal with the crisis.
Our restrictions have just been tightened again in the UK, so virtual contact and morale-boosting will be even more important in the days and weeks to come.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 11:03pm

Post #5 of 54 (312 views)
Shortcut
Those chalk messages are intriguing. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've got a paved coastal walkway here. Perhaps we could make chalk available and encourage people to draw a picture or write a message for other walkers. Kind of like an ongoing mural!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 11:05pm

Post #6 of 54 (310 views)
Shortcut
Our team had its first Zoom meeting this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

My surprise Santa hat went down well. Wink

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 11:07pm

Post #7 of 54 (309 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, those are good ideas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the idea of window art - it's a home activity for any age, and people can count them or photograph their favourites as they're getting fresh air.

And the applause for emergency workers is brilliant. Thanks, GH!

My LOTR fan-fiction

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 23, 11:58pm

Post #8 of 54 (298 views)
Shortcut
Santa is always welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 12:23am

Post #9 of 54 (299 views)
Shortcut
One in my neighbourhood [In reply to] Can't Post

is similar to the rainbow one, based on 'Going on a Bear Hunt'.
Families place teddy bears in windows where they can be seen from the street, then add their location to a map in a private group. Families can go for walks, hunt and count bears, and upload photos to the group.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24, 1:35am

Post #10 of 54 (286 views)
Shortcut
Awww - everything is improved with teddy bears. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 4:00am

Post #11 of 54 (277 views)
Shortcut
My sword fighting ex mother in law [In reply to] Can't Post

is organising a 'wine party'. She lives at the end of a cul-de-sac, and they can all see each other. At the appointed time they will come out with a wine and sit outside, raise their glasses, and probably yell at each other because most of them are pensioners and won't be able to hear! Laugh

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 24, 10:24am

Post #12 of 54 (250 views)
Shortcut
Applause - got the timing wrong. It's 8pm on Thursday! Oops. [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24, 11:51am

Post #13 of 54 (252 views)
Shortcut
Most of these are in place in my area, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've only been really getting started with the scale of the isolation mode. Michigan went state-wide just yesterday (Monday 3/23), though my general area closed libraries, restaurants (carry-out ok), etc. just last week. Now that most of the population has stocked-up on supplies, things are quieting down. I cancelled my medical appointments over the next few months (general checkup & dentist).
In my little farm town, we're still organizing; but there is a huge outreach to isolated families, elderly and those with medical concerns. That's when being in a small town comes in handy. We all know who may have needs. I have a sign on my mailbox simply saying "I'm OK!" Our rural mailman is also keeping an eye open for anyone who may need help.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Mar 24, 4:18pm

Post #14 of 54 (239 views)
Shortcut
a woman in my town organized volunteers to run errands and take stuff to shut-ins [In reply to] Can't Post

in a day she had so many sign up that she had to say "no more!"

I too am seeing the chalk messages all over, and I'm going to put our Christmas lights back up today. I live on a quiet street and the neighbor kids use it to ride trikes and play basketball, so we get the cheery sounds of kids playing still. For my part, I've decided that my front garden is going to be a happy sight for people out walking, so in addition to the bulbs now coming up I've planted a bunch of pansies. The azaleas and rhodies will be in bloom soon.

I'm loving - and sharing on FB - all the videos of people who play/sing "together." The horn section of our local symphony put out a nice video yesterday, for example.

I go to Weight Watchers (Oprah wants us to call it something else now, but old habits die hard) and there's a group of us who have gone to the meeting and then out to breakfast together for years. Now our meetings are virtual, through Zoom, and some of the older members of "the breakfast club" are struggling. So I think this week I'll set up a private Zoom meeting so they can practice and we can see/talk to each other.

My book club will be meeting virtually next month as well. Alas, it won't work for the Scrabble group.

My choir had to cancel our concerts that were to be last weekend and this weekend. We have decided to not do the NEXT program and instead, push this program out - hopefully we can start having rehearsals again in mid-May and the concerts at the end of May, as scheduled.

Here's a couple of the songs we'll be doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0KzbSMRBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs6jFcvwfR0

We're not on total lockdown yet but our governor warned the other day that unless people become more diligent about distancing, it will happen. Some mayors have implemented lockdowns in their towns after seeing too many people gathering in parks and not observing due diligence.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 24, 4:21pm

Post #15 of 54 (236 views)
Shortcut
Rainbows in windows (in part of Boston) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say that I've seen a lot, but the idea may still be in its infancy. It is being spread on social media.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 54 (236 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that would be fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, like a looong mural! Is it getting much use? I wonder if you could leave buckets of chalk at certain points along it?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24, 4:37pm

Post #17 of 54 (234 views)
Shortcut
Mailbox signs! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great idea - and anyone who is in need of something, or having some other difficulty, could stick on a sign or something? I've heard that mailmen are very observant!

Annael
Immortal

Mar 24, 4:43pm

Post #18 of 54 (237 views)
Shortcut
by the way [In reply to] Can't Post

the theme of the concert is "Wide Open Spaces." That's going to have a lot more meaning when we finally get to do it!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24, 4:54pm

Post #19 of 54 (232 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about relevance - that concert couldn't have been better planned!

Breakfast via Zoom should be fun! Maybe you could handle Scrabble by having duplicate boards?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 24, 6:21pm

Post #20 of 54 (225 views)
Shortcut
Green and red window signs if there's population density [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read about this idea sprouting up in various parts of the UK: putting a green card in your window if you're OK, and a red one if you need help. Not exactly about keeping morale up, but more about the idea of people helping each other out, which I guess aids morale.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 24, 6:23pm

Post #21 of 54 (231 views)
Shortcut
Amateur online concerts [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen these on Facebook too, where someone says something like, "My two sons are playing guitar and drums on Friday at 8 pm for anyone who wants to tune in," and then there are various ways to connect via live streaming.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24, 6:24pm

Post #22 of 54 (232 views)
Shortcut
That's my thought too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder if you could leave buckets of chalk at certain points along it?

Some families would have chalk but making it available to everyone would work too.

The coastal walkway gets a lot of use - if there's sun, it's packed. (Less packed now, I'm guessing, but people would still use it for exercise even at this time.)

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24, 6:27pm

Post #23 of 54 (228 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll steal that idea for myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm going to put our Christmas lights back up today..

The days are shortening and daylight saving is about to end, so there'd be time in the mornings and evenings for walkers/runners to see them flickering away. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 24, 6:31pm

Post #24 of 54 (225 views)
Shortcut
Love this idea, thanks - have passed it on to my daughter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 8:42pm

Post #25 of 54 (223 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you want to handle a bucket of chalk that someone else had touched?
I definitely wouldn't.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.