Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Puts out Welcome sign* It's time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 21, 7:07pm

Post #76 of 100 (236 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Every day's an opportunity to learn something new! Cool

It's been *years* since I've had a proper hangi. I'd been looking forward to it. Unsure

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 7:24pm

Post #77 of 100 (233 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

The OED tells me "skerrick" was originally Scottish, but is now predominantly Australasian. Sometimes words survive in distant parts when they're all but lost in their homeland.

Realistically, we'll have to abandon any travel plans for this year, I think. I'm hoping for a pleasant autumn to enjoy our home surroundings.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 7:32pm

Post #78 of 100 (235 views)
Shortcut
The Do Not Travel notice [In reply to] Can't Post

is part of a layer of advisories on the official site for New Zealanders abroad or planning to travel, so relates to travelling overseas. It's the highest warning level, most commonly associated with countries experiencing serious unrest. In part it's telling people that it would be difficult for the New Zealand government to help them if they got trapped somewhere. It also has relevance for travel insurance.

But as Ataahua said, a new advisory was given yesterday, requesting people to avoid non-essential domestic travel. This is a request rather than a warning, but abiding by it feels like the right thing to do.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 21, 7:36pm

Post #79 of 100 (233 views)
Shortcut
We used to have one at school every year [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so good. And the kids loved watching the process from start to finish.
We would sell the meals at our open night.
The man who led the process for us has passed away now, and we haven't had a hangi for ages. Frown

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 8:19pm

Post #80 of 100 (227 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there are worse places to be stranded :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 8:31pm

Post #81 of 100 (232 views)
Shortcut
Lovely to see you, Ro. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish the circumstances were better.

That's a hard decision to be trying to make. The latest announcement (and a follow-up from the asthma foundation) does recommend that anyone with severe asthma should be staying home where possible, which I imagine is feeding into your decision.

Happy equinox to you and yours! Sending virtual hugs from the other end of the country.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 23, 1:05am

Post #82 of 100 (206 views)
Shortcut
I have been Skype-teaching violin lessons [In reply to] Can't Post

for a week, now, and it's gone surprisingly well. They already know my obsession with posture and hand position, so the verbal reminders have sort of worked, but it's not ideal. But otherwise, it has gone really, really well, compared to what I thought it would be like. The true test will be this week when my younger (gr. 3&4) kids start. I'm a little apprehensive about corralling them by Skype, when they can just walk off somewhere!

The downside is, the tone of the violin does not transmit well, so it's very edgy and scratchy at times. But I can still tell whether their sound is good or bad over all. They can hear me interrupt with corrections, too (except for one kid, but that may have been on purpose . . .)

Not every parent wants to go this route, but as of tonight, 75% have signed up. Whether they will stick with it remains to be seen, so I'm crossing all sorts of fingers. Buy maybe this is a sign your students' parents will want their kids to continue lessons online too.

I'm so sorry about your concert. Such a deflating experience.Unsure

My husband's school closed the Monday after his musical, and it was he Wizard of Oz, so the work was astronomical. Many other districts didn't make it in time to perform theirs. Awfully demoralizing for all concerned.

If I can help at all, let me know, or perhaps we can compare "notes." Smile

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Mar 23, 1:06am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 23, 1:10am

Post #83 of 100 (204 views)
Shortcut
With school teacher husband home now, [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel you. CrazyUnsureEvil

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 23, 1:21am

Post #84 of 100 (202 views)
Shortcut
So glad you are re-ambulated! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loathe the times I have an injury and can't walk, or jog with my dog.

Especially now, it's really helpful to get outside. We're in NY, and it feels like house arrest, even though our family is not under any official orders. My excursion to the park today felt like parole or something.

I have an allergy cough, though (same one for months!), and keep scaring my daughter. Crazy

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 1:55am

Post #85 of 100 (196 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ethel! Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

From this coming Wednesday the whole country will be all but closed down, with all but essential services shut down and no non-essential travel, so to be out in the fresh air will be more welcome than ever.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 2:51am

Post #86 of 100 (193 views)
Shortcut
A work colleague is stuck on a cruise ship off the coast of Argentina. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was on the trip of a lifetime to Antarctica but it's all gone a bit pear-shaped on their return. He hopes to be off the ship in two days' time and then make his way to NZ via Oz - I had to break the news to him that that route wasn't likely...

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 3:01am

Post #87 of 100 (189 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he might be stuck there for quite a while, either on the ship or in Argentina. I hope he has good travel insurance.

Things have been changing so quickly. I keep thinking was that really just a week ago, or two weeks ago, or... I'm very grateful we're in the position of cancelling a trip, as opposed to finding ourselves on the other side of the world.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 23, 6:11am

Post #88 of 100 (180 views)
Shortcut
Being stuck overseas [In reply to] Can't Post

has just been a roll of the dice, really. One colleague flew out of South America three hours before their borders were closed; another had put in her notice and was moving to Scotland in two months but she's just pulled her resignation. It's likely going to be aaaaages before the world community has settled once again.

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 23, 2:29pm

Post #89 of 100 (154 views)
Shortcut
Time out for good behavior [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that feeling: Smile

My excursion to the park today felt like parole or something.

Same thing in Boston: there's a lot of social pressure to stay indoors except for necessities, so "sneaking" outside feels like a reward. Walking is great for both immunity and your respiratory system (and mental health against cabin fever), so there's a lot of ways to justify it, but there's still that nagging feeling that you're breaking a rule, like drinking milk straight from the carton or something.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 4:31pm

Post #90 of 100 (142 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps we can compare "notes".

You've reminded me: my choir director has an adult piano student living several states away, and they Skype her lessons! She's even performed for us that way. I'd forgotten!

Yes, Evey, it can be done! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 23, 5:33pm

Post #91 of 100 (148 views)
Shortcut
Heading into school for the last time this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

Our school lead team is going in this morning to tidy up a few last jobs, and supervise any children who turn up, and then that's it for who knows how long.Midgey approves of a nationwide lockdown and appears not to be panicking.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23, 9:26pm

Post #92 of 100 (121 views)
Shortcut
He looks like he's all settled in. [In reply to] Can't Post

For how long are you all closing up? The kids are going to miss you!

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 12:15am

Post #93 of 100 (118 views)
Shortcut
The whole country is locking down for a month [In reply to] Can't Post

at this stage. But who knows?The school holidays have been brought forward and then home learning starts after Easter.Our lot won't be doing much of that, but we will keep connected.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 24, 9:17am

Post #94 of 100 (109 views)
Shortcut
parishioner stuck in Egypt [In reply to] Can't Post

She was actually out in the Sahara when the borders started closing. Drove 400 miles to Tunisia, flew to Cairo, and can't get back to Texas

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24, 12:24pm

Post #95 of 100 (113 views)
Shortcut
Awwww... snuggles... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you and Midgey and snuggle together :D SO SWEET!

Pickle is tackling it the same way ;) He loves his beanbag and heating pad.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 24, 12:26pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 24, 7:37pm

Post #96 of 100 (89 views)
Shortcut
So cute! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24, 8:35pm

Post #97 of 100 (91 views)
Shortcut
Beanbag and heating pad? [In reply to] Can't Post

A human-size setup next to him would be lovely, in the chilly weather!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25, 11:38am

Post #98 of 100 (80 views)
Shortcut
He's content [In reply to] Can't Post

It is stationed right here next to my feet at my computer. He spends most of his day in his deep little nest/beanbag completely covered up... head and all. If he gets up and walks away, the (baby) blanket is still draped over him like a saddle.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25, 12:17pm

Post #99 of 100 (77 views)
Shortcut
What an adorable image! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine what the cats must think...Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 25, 2:01pm

Post #100 of 100 (74 views)
Shortcut
It's Tolkien Reading Day [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, at the moment, I'm listening rather than reading. I've got on the Mind's Eye audio dramatization of The Lord of the Rings. Sam and Frodo are approaching Mount Doom.

#FidelityToTolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.