Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Puts out Welcome sign* It's time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 100 (494 views)
Shortcut
*Puts out Welcome sign* It's time for Fiesta! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone!

It's great to be back at the bar after a wonderful vacation with B.G... First and foremost I'd like to thank gramma, Eventides and dernwyn for doing the fabulous job they always do covering the bar. Hip, hip, hooray and free champagne for them! Oh what the heck, free champagne for everyone!

I thought we might have returned just late enough to avoid too much more snow, but that was wishful thinking. I'm looking out the window at about 4 inches of that lovely, wet, Spring snow that's so much fun to shovel. Good exercise though, so really no complaints (well, not too many).

Here's hoping you're all doing well, considering the circumstances. Just when a good virtual party is needed, I say! So, the bar is stocked with especially delectable meat pies and goodies to make sandwiches with, and the sweets table features a chocolate dipping fountain to go with the champagne fountain! Why not?

Enjoy, and do let us know how you're doing, and what your plans are for this somewhat subdued, but hopefully still enjoyable weekend.

*puts quarters on juke box* play us something cheerful that goes with chocolate!

Happy weekend, everyone! HeartCoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 20, 4:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 100 (428 views)
Shortcut
Greetings from...school! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to have you back, Altaira, I'll raise a glass to celebrate your most amazing voyage, going where no TORnsib has gone before! Cool

Yes, school. We're on "soft closure" at present here, only year-round staff are allowed in, and a handful of teachers who are co-ordinating their curricula. Two days ago I was helping hand out to parents the packets of texts and workbooks the staff had retrieved from the younger students' desks so they could use them at home. Today we're ready to sign out chromebooks or laptops to those who have neither at home. (I think all but one or two families don't have internet here.)

This has been so surreal, at times. I've learned how to be part of a meeting with "Zoom". Different grocery stores have not run out of different things, so one must shop around. I didn't get to the hairdresser's before those were closed, so just call me "shaggy"! Laugh

*dips pretzel stick in fountain* Thank you for the chocolate, Altaira, it is much appreciated! I hope you have enough chocolate to tide you over.

*puts quarter in juke box* How about an oldie, "Tutti Frutti"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Mar 20, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 100 (430 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Altaira! :) As for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

What a crazy, fast-moving-development week it's been! We're fine, but unfortunately, the way that the music program was set up in the school district I work in, there was nothing to do but cancel the last few lessons as well as the concert we'd all been working up to since October. Unsure Safety is most important, obviously, but it was kind-of a downer. And I'm not quite sure what to do with my private students yet, either, given the current police-enforceable restrictions in my state on gatherings of 10 or more, and the studio I use usually has about that many people in it at once normally. I may be having to look into virtual options (which wouldn't necessarily be easy, given that I usually provide gentle physical corrections to posture, and trying to fix beginner string instrument posture via video would be... interesting, LOL Crazy), so yeah. Interesting times... Tongue I'll take a sandwich and some hot chocolate, please; thanks, and I hope you all stay healthy and safe this weekend and beyond!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 20, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 100 (422 views)
Shortcut
Did I hear chocolate dipping fountain???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Count me in for that one! Oh, and how about some hot cocoa as a beverage, pretty please? Followed by after-dinner chocolate mints? Plus, if you wouldn't mind, maybe a chocolate napkin and some chocolate cutlery.

Staying inside except for 1-hour walks is a bit of a challenge, but everything is bearable when chocolate is in supply. Planning on spending the weekend with Netflix and Amazon Prime videos. Stay healthy, everyone!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:53pm

Post #5 of 100 (419 views)
Shortcut
This has been a terrible disappointment [In reply to] Can't Post

for all students who have been preparing concerts, plays, and other presentations. The kids work so hard on them.

I wish we could record and stream these, but then, that means the kids would all have to get together...not good. Or allowed.

Hey, could you try Zoom for the lessons? You wouldn't be able to be right there, but you could see them at least!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 100 (414 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the things those of you still working at your school are doing for the parents and kids are great.

The last haircut I had was nine weeks ago, so from one 'shaggy' to another, I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 20, 4:58pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:58pm

Post #7 of 100 (414 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that the streaming services have vastly increased their bandwidth, they're going to be incredibly busy for a while! Laugh

Maybe do a couple of walks each day? And don't forget books and magazines (like Smithsonian or National Geo - the good stuff). Hang in there, stay healthy!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 5:02pm

Post #8 of 100 (413 views)
Shortcut
Bummer about the concert [In reply to] Can't Post

and the uncertainty about the lessons. I hope the lessons, at least, can continue. Hang in there, and you stay safe and healthy too! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 5:02pm

Post #9 of 100 (412 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Longish hair will be the "new look"! Laugh

You two stay healthy! And I know you'll be kept busy putting together a report of your Marvellous Voyage! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Mar 20, 5:05pm

Post #10 of 100 (410 views)
Shortcut
Yep. :\ [In reply to] Can't Post

And yeah, I'm looking into stuff like Zoom/Skype/whatever; it's just figuring out how best to do things like correct posture, which is so simple when I can just gently adjust their hand or arm or whatever in person, as opposed to having to do some sort of vocal explanation + mirroring thing on video... Crazy

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 100 (411 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate, washed down by chocolate [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your attitude!

B.G. also spent some time yesterday selecting Netflix and Amazon Prime shows and putting them in our queue. The CFO (me Laugh) gets final approval, but he does such a good job I rarely do a 'thumbs down' on his selections and, if I do, he can always watch them on his own.

*searches in the Fiesta pantry for the chocolate napkins and cutlery* Here they are! Enjoy!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Mar 20, 5:06pm

Post #12 of 100 (408 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 20, 6:18pm

Post #13 of 100 (409 views)
Shortcut
champagne and chocolate! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with that! (Swipes strawberry through the chocolate.)

I do feel for the kids, especially the seniors in high school, who are going to miss out on all the fun stuff that happens at the end of that long journey. A friend directs the musicals for a local high school and the kids are just crushed that all their hard work is coming to naught. And no prom, and maybe not even a graduation ceremony. It's tough. That generation will be marked by this pandemic as mine was by the assassination of JFK and my nieces and nephews were by 9/11.

An extroverted friend notes that her introverted husband is "grumpy." I understand. If I could be ALL alone I'd be fine, but my extroverted dad pops into my space regularly to share some fun bit of information or ask me a question. Usually I take my work and spend a few hours in a coffee shop so I can GET SOMETHING DONE, but I can't now. I was supposed to go on a writing retreat next week but the resort has closed until mid-May. I've found a private cabin to rent where I can be self-contained, but I can't get in for a month.

So I go out and garden. Fortunately the weather has been gorgeous here this week. I went for a walk with friends yesterday - instead of carpooling we all drove separately, and walked carefully spaced, but it was so nice to see their faces and hear their voices.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 20, 6:19pm

Post #14 of 100 (410 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

and best of luck to everyone with dealing with all the complications that are being thrown in the way of normal life at the moment - for good reasons, of course! I'm retired, daughter is a full-time Mum, son-in-law is working from home, the boys' schools have closed. They can still go out for necessary shopping and to exercise the dog, but life will be very different from now on. Supermarkets are just ridiculous at the moment; rationing is being brought in because some people seem to be stocking up for an apocalypse, which is putting others at a huge disadvantage who cannot choose when they shop. There was a heart-rending short vid recorded by Dawn, a tearful critical care nurse who'd just worked 48 hours and couldn't buy what she needed in the supermarket after her shift. It's on the Guardian newspaper website but I don't know if that can be accessed overseas. She says it better than any politician has, so far.
Food? chocolate. Always chocolate...Wink
Music? I think this one should do the trick... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C58ttB2-Qg
Have the best weekend you can, folks - cheers!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 21, 5:22pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 6:35pm

Post #15 of 100 (399 views)
Shortcut
Gardening and hiking = great therapy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad you can't take your computer out to the garden to get some work done. That pesky dirt keeps getting between the keys. Laugh

I'm so glad you and your friends got some time together and outdoors. Great idea to car pool to the trail. I hope you don't have too many deadlines creeping up on you before you can get to that cabin.

Happy weekend and happy gardening!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 6:43pm

Post #16 of 100 (400 views)
Shortcut
Perfect song choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

We do, indeed, all get by with a little help from our friends. Smile

Our grocery store had rationing for certain items: milk and eggs primarily. Empty toilet paper shelves though. We didn't even bother to go down that aisle to see if they had minimum quantities posted. I suspect they did. Hopefully the situation will get better once the hoarders' closets and pantries can't hold one more roll. Unimpressed

Thank goodness your son-in-law can work from home and that the kids can get outside. Here's wishing them and you a healthy and happy weekend!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 7:25pm

Post #17 of 100 (396 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit of a kick in the ankle, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
there was nothing to do but cancel the last few lessons as well as the concert we'd all been working up to since October. Unsure Safety is most important, obviously, but it was kind-of a downer.

For the last three years I've been part of a project group to get a zero waste hub built and operating, and to mark its opening we'd organised a Family Fun Day - lots of hands-on zero waste activities, live music, a hangi, food caravans, the works. Then four days out, we had to cancel it. Pirate

We're also working on public consultation for a big plan. What was going to be an intensive face-to-face programme now has to be reworked as largely digital - although not everyone here has access to the 'net. And social facilities such as libraries and aquatic centres are closing, so how do we provide other outlets for social cohesion (especially at time when it's particularly needed)?

TBH I was glad when my work week was done and I could put all of that aside for a few days.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 7:31pm

Post #18 of 100 (398 views)
Shortcut
I popped in [In reply to] Can't Post

to a local supermarket for my usual Friday morning shop and it was like pre-Christmas in there. The supermarket chains keep telling people that supply isn't a problem - demand is. Now they've all limited products to a maximum of two of anything, and one has shorted its hours so that they have more time to restock shelves.

Crazy

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 20, 8:03pm

Post #19 of 100 (381 views)
Shortcut
It's just crazy... [In reply to] Can't Post

toilet rolls, tissues, paracetamol, anything resembling hand sanitiser - no chance. They must be going on the shelves at some point, but are being grabbed so fast that a lot of people don't stand a chance. I'm just washing my hands thoroughly, have enough toilet roll in stock not to have to work for a week or so, but only a few doses of paracetamol - so I'd quite like a packet of that, just in case. I'll just have to hope I don't catch the virus!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 8:12pm

Post #20 of 100 (385 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug x 2!* HI! HI! HI!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see you both back home safe and sound! YUMMY TREATS and DRINK! THANK YOU!

I'll bet it feels both comfortable and surreal to be back in your own home again. I hope you found everything just as you left it... except the condition and amount of snow ;) I can't stop smiling! It's so great that you two had such a wonderful time to yourselves and a chance for new experiences. I'm just delighted that the ship stayed healthy considering the mass of humanity and all that has been going on. *One more hug* Welcome home! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 8:30pm

Post #21 of 100 (380 views)
Shortcut
It's a good thing you are there. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be able to collect the students' things for them. It's looking like g'son's university in Iowa might be closing for the rest of the school year... which I'm sure is being looked at everywhere.
I hope you have a totally GREAT weekend :D And happy hunting!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 20, 9:00pm

Post #22 of 100 (388 views)
Shortcut
Just sending a hug to everybody. You..shall...pass...it...on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 9:10pm

Post #23 of 100 (375 views)
Shortcut
Hugs back! [In reply to] Can't Post

It *is* surreal. We feel like we stepped into an alternate reality, then stepped back out (which in a way we did). It's definitely nice to have more space than the cruise ship room though, as well as different clothes to wear and, finally, fast internet!

Here's hoping you and the Dish have a great weekend together! Wink

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 9:11pm

Post #24 of 100 (373 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that, {{Lussuin}}! 1,000 words and more in that picture, to be sure. SmileHeart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 9:30pm

Post #25 of 100 (373 views)
Shortcut
Lol! I love Kiwis! [In reply to] Can't Post

supply isn't a problem - demand is

They don't over-complicate things. They just cut to the chase and tell it like it is. LaughLaughLaugh

It reminds me of sitting in the football stadium at the University of Colorado after I ran the Bolder Boulder 10k race some years ago. In the stadium (where the race ends), after the citizen's race, they were interviewing the youngest and oldest people to run that year. When asked what the hardest part of the race was, the youngest, a 5 year-old, answered: "Running." Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.