Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Mid-March: what are you watching?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 18, 2:22pm

Post #1 of 24 (377 views)
Shortcut
Mid-March: what are you watching? Can't Post

I am trying Ragnarok on Netflix, a Norwegian short series (6 episodes) about Thor--the Norse one, not the comic book one--re-awakening in the body of a high school boy. It *could* have been good based on the 1st episode, but I'm now on Episode 4 and finding it rather flimsy: lightweight plot, a little too much teen drama for my taste, and some weird contrivances, such as Thor continually probing a death he witnessed as if there's a whole lot of mystery to it, when there shouldn't be since he witnessed it himself. On the plus side, it shows what life in small-town Norway is like, a nice break from "let's see what people in New York City are doing."

For comic relief I'm going through Corner Gas on IMDB, a Canadian small-town comedy with the usual quirky characters and lots of dry humor. It's good enough for what it is.

What are you watching?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 24 (319 views)
Shortcut
I'm making my way through season two of Jessica Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not as strong as season one but still good to watch.

I see Westworld season three has launched. Has anyone watched the first ep?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Immortal

Mar 19, 4:17am

Post #3 of 24 (309 views)
Shortcut
I watched "Ragnarok" too [In reply to] Can't Post

There were things I liked very much about it, but I agree with your assessment. Still, if they do another season I'd probably watch it!

Saw the new "Emma." Much to like, particularly Bill Nighy as the nervous father and Johnny Flynn as Knightley. The film brings out, even more than "Downton Abbey," just how important servants were to the rich people and how oblivious the rich were to those servants who waited on them literally hand and foot at every moment. Still, I think the BBC production with Kate Beckinsale remains the best movie adaptation.

I've got my dad watching "The Good Place" which means I am going through it for the third time.

Dreading the end of The Magicians. I haven't even watched last week's episode yet. I'm also behind on Picard. What have I been watching instead? I'm hooked on an anime show, The Dragon Prince. Great visuals and characters. I tried the first episode of Virgin River which is totally predictable, but I like Martin Henderson so may stick with it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 19, 4:18am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19, 12:41pm

Post #4 of 24 (302 views)
Shortcut
After my first month or so with Dish Hopper [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying to watch a BUNCH of TCM Classic films I saved, and a BUNCH of HGTV/DIY home restoration programs, a BUNCH of debate/2020 stuff, a BUNCH of Monty Python movies/programs, a BUNCH of music concerts and bios... essentially, I'm having a BUNCH of fun watching things I've recorded that I haven't been able to do for years!! Hopper is my friend :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 19, 1:17pm

Post #5 of 24 (294 views)
Shortcut
Watching the BRADY BUNCH marathon next? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19, 10:52pm

Post #6 of 24 (265 views)
Shortcut
So far ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched 'The Laundromat' tonight on Netflix - a dramatisation of the Panama Papers scandal, with Antonio Banderas, Gary Oldman and Meryl Streep. It was okay, a bit disjointed. Last night I watched 'Operation Finale', about the capture of Adolf Eichmann, with Ben Kingsley as Eichmann, which I enjoyed a lot.
I'm also getting through a new BBC series called 'Trigonometry', about a polyamorous relationship between a married couple and their lodger, which is really rather good. I gave up on a dramatisation of Malorie Blackman's 'Noughts + Crosses', set in a world where an African nation conquered Britain. It has a sort of Romeo and Juliet relationship but it wasn't gripping me.

I've enjoyed Armando Ianucci's 'Avenue 5', a satire disaster comedy set on a spaceship with Hugh Laurie brilliant as the hapless captain.

I've saved a whole bunch of things to Netflix in the expectation of plenty of time to watch stuff. However a part of me is aching for nostalgia, and I'm planning a rewatch of all the 'new' Doctor Who which ought to last me through this period of social distancing!

Storm clouds

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19, 10:53pm

Post #7 of 24 (260 views)
Shortcut
It's not as good as season one [In reply to] Can't Post

But still good. I'm still annoyed with Netflix for cancelled Jessica Jones and more particularly Daredevil, which I thought was superb. (Luke Cage was okay, Iron Fist average).

Storm clouds

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 19, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 24 (256 views)
Shortcut
Our daughter loaned us her BBC Jane Austen collection [In reply to] Can't Post

So far we've watched Sense and Sensibilly, Northanger Abby, Persuasion, and Mansfield Park. These are the ones from the 1970s, so the hairstyles, while ostensibly from the 1810s, look more like the girls on the 60s Batman show. But except for that they're very good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 10:16am

Post #9 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
*wince* :\ Hogan's Heroes ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 20, 12:55pm

Post #10 of 24 (239 views)
Shortcut
Netflix moves in mysterious ways [In reply to] Can't Post

The quality of each series varied, but Netflix cancelled them all is if they were the same. And the fan base was big.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 2:29pm

Post #11 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
I am vaguely hoping ... [In reply to] Can't Post

that now the Marvel universe is moving to Disney+ that they'll get picked up again. At least Daredevil and JJ. I did see a rumour suggesting that they might bring Matt Murdock into the next Spiderman movie!

Storm clouds

Annael
Immortal

Mar 20, 4:07pm

Post #12 of 24 (227 views)
Shortcut
I loved that show! [In reply to] Can't Post

huge crush on Richard Dawson. (As a teen I had a crush on any actor with an accent.) Wish they'd bring back "Rat Patrol."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:17pm

Post #13 of 24 (226 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I'm not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

who had a bit of a crush on Richard Dawson! Do you remember him hosting "Family Feud"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Mar 20, 6:25pm

Post #14 of 24 (218 views)
Shortcut
yes, but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

it turned out I had a crush on his character, not him as a person. . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 8:14pm

Post #15 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Rat Patrol! Another awesome show! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Fereth
Rivendell

Mar 21, 2:30am

Post #16 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
Picard [In reply to] Can't Post

I like a lot of things about it (Rios, Seven, and Elnor, especially), other things not so much. Too much violence, sex, and swearing. Normally these things don't bother me much, but on Star Trek? Ehh...

I'm sticking with it, though, as I love Sir Patrick Stewart to bits. As was the case with Discovery, it could have a much better second season.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 21, 10:32am

Post #17 of 24 (193 views)
Shortcut
Do you think that the new Dr. Who [In reply to] Can't Post

will return in the next season? And her colleagues? I've enjoyed a female lead and the multicultural flavor.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 12:57pm

Post #18 of 24 (188 views)
Shortcut
She is due to I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'm not sure when it's going to happen, I think they were planning a long break. I thought the most recent season was the strongest for a while, but IMHO nothing will match the heights of the Tennant years.

Storm clouds

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21, 3:33pm

Post #19 of 24 (177 views)
Shortcut
Tennant IS the Doctor, imho ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 21, 11:45pm

Post #20 of 24 (170 views)
Shortcut
Was Tennant your first? [In reply to] Can't Post

My first Doctor was Tom Baker.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 21, 11:46pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22, 12:38am

Post #21 of 24 (165 views)
Shortcut
I think he was mine too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though my favorite is Jon Pertwee. David Tennant is definitely my favorite of the new series, though.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22, 1:53am

Post #22 of 24 (160 views)
Shortcut
Tom Baker was my first Doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

and was always "my" doctor. But I adore David Tennant in the re-boot - definitely my favourite of the "new" doctors. I think I'm happiest treating old and new as two different series, albeit from the same family.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 23, 1:47pm

Post #23 of 24 (77 views)
Shortcut
Disney's Tangled [In reply to] Can't Post

Still my favorite of Disney's most recent animated films, and an appropriate fit for quarantine life: the protagonist is literally locked in a tower in the kingdom of Corona and dreams of being able to go out into the open world.
Also, Self-Made and The Letter For The King on Netflix. The first I enjoyed a lot, mostly because of Octavia Spencer and Carmen Ejogo's performances, and the second was actually surprisingly enjoyable - though it was marketed as "family-friendly Game of Thrones", I think they might have attracted more attention if they had played up the antiquated aspects of the show: it's very much in the style of books such as The Chronicles of Prydain or films like Starlight and Inkheart.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 25, 2:25pm

Post #24 of 24 (49 views)
Shortcut
New term I saw: "quaran-streaming" [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried 2 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery, but virtually nothing about it worked for me, though the CGI was impressive. Reading various reviews that covered seasons 1 & 2, I saw that it wasn't going to morph into a show I'd enjoy. Which is a shame, because I liked the key actors, and while I'm not a diehard Trekkie, I do like the Star Trek universe and had high hopes for this show.

I found Hinterland on Netflix, a cop show set in Wales, starring Richard Harrington (the rest of the characters haven't gotten much attention so far). I would say it's average for a cop show, with maybe a little above average plotting going on as they unravel clues and try to figure out suspects and their motives. And, it's *not* set in London, so as with Ragnarok, it's nice to see something besides New York City and London for a change.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.