Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Amazon production in NZ shuts down for two weeks from Monday 16 March.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 15 2020, 8:36am

Post #1 of 5 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Amazon production in NZ shuts down for two weeks from Monday 16 March. Can't Post

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=12316871

"In an abundance of caution, UAP has suspended production for the next two (2) weeks commencing Monday, March 16.

"This is done in an environment where travel restrictions directed at the control of Covid-19 are issued daily by New Zealand and most other countries."

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Mar 15 2020, 8:47am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 15 2020, 9:03am

Post #2 of 5 (2276 views)
Shortcut
In case you're not able to read the Herald article [In reply to] Can't Post

A section of the memo sent to cast and crew today as printed in the Herald:

New Zealand from today requires arriving travelers from anywhere outside the country, except the small South Pacific Islands with no cases, to self-isolate here for 14 days.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Mar 15 2020, 9:15am)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 16 2020, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 5 (2056 views)
Shortcut
I suspected this would happen sooner rather than later [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the few film and TV productions that had committed to continuing work through the virus (The Batman and The Witcher Season 2 come to mind) eventually were forced to give in and halt production. I just hope this whole crisis is over before long.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Archestratie
Rohan

Mar 17 2020, 1:21pm

Post #4 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even the few film and TV productions that had committed to continuing work through the virus (The Batman and The Witcher Season 2 come to mind) eventually were forced to give in and halt production. I just hope this whole crisis is over before long.

Same here. But I'd rather everyone be safe and healthy. I can wait.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Apr 20 2020, 8:15am

Post #5 of 5 (753 views)
Shortcut
The tide is turning, but not yet out [In reply to] Can't Post

Two weeks from March 16 was March 30. Obviously production didn't restart on March 30. One week after production was shut down, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced that the country was on "alert level 3", and after two days (beginning March 25) would go on "alert level 4" for four weeks.

Today she announced that New Zealand would go back to alert level 3 beginning the close of next Monday, April 27. After that the country will be on alert level 3 for two weeks and, if all seems well enough, will then (close of May 11) go down to alert level 2.

There's a chart of New Zealand's alert level system here (PDF). Based on that chart, I believe the country will need to drop to either alert level 2 or alert level 1 before Amazon can resume production on the series.

Meanwhile, the actors seem to be stuck inside their houses/apartments/hotel rooms in New Zealand. For example, Simon Merrells' Instagram location/status reads, "Currently on lockdown in a far away land, eking out books". Nazanin Boniadi has been active on Twitter, and revealed on April 1 that Gabrielle Rogers had been the dialect coach for the Amazon series. Gabrielle Rogers' husband was Andrew Jack, who was the LOTR dialect coach, and who passed away from coronavirus near London on March 31. Unfortunately, Gabrielle was not able to return to the UK before his passing, being stuck in quarantine in Australia after flying out of New Zealand.

New Zealand has 1440 confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases, and has had 12 deaths from the disease. They've done a good job tracking who has the disease and where they got it from. I hope the cast and crew of LOTR on Prime can return to work safely in the not-too-distant future.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.