Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Tales from a cruise ship
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Mar 16, 5:49pm

Post #26 of 42 (235 views)
Shortcut
everything is canceled [In reply to] Can't Post

my choir rehearsals, our concerts that were supposed to start next weekend, all our regular social engagements, appointments for this or that, upcoming trips. We are hunkered down, except for going out for walks (and waving to all the other folks out walking, from a distance). I went shopping yesterday and apart from no toilet paper and, oddly, no stew beef, had no problem finding everything on our list. The store seemed as full as ever of people, but traffic is definitely way light . . . like early-morning Sunday light, all the time. Fortunately we had stocked up on all paper goods before this happened (my dad's a bit obsessive about that, I have to stop him from buying 12 more rolls of something we just bought 12 rolls of . . .).

One of the area hospitals (I'm just outside Seattle) has no more beds. Fortunately we have a LOT of hospitals, but still: warning! All our schools and now restaurants and recreational facilities are closed, and most people are working from home.

How are you getting home? Friends decided to drive the 2 days to Utah for a funeral instead of flying, on the theory that they could control exposure much more easily.

I'm curious what the effects are going to be on our carbon footprint and on the death toll from automobile accidents. Some positives . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 16, 5:56pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 16, 6:10pm

Post #27 of 42 (222 views)
Shortcut
I had planned [In reply to] Can't Post

a trip to Cairns in October to mark a significant birthday but I'm resigned to delaying it for a year.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17, 4:44pm

Post #28 of 42 (202 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're safe and healthy! [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of mine has been a professor at a semester at sea. They got called home early, which is too bad, because they were much safer on the ship than in any country they could go home to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 17, 11:33pm

Post #29 of 42 (191 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

they did have Ben & Jerry's cookie dough on offer, so, silver linings).

Glad you have your priorities straight. That would be one of my backups too. Wink
Hopefully the slow-down in sports events will turn around soon enough that you won't be overly impacted. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 17, 11:36pm

Post #30 of 42 (186 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds about like what our friends and relatives are experiencing in CO. Great point that drug stores carry many of the same things grocery stored do - not as wide a selection usually, but completely doable. Thanks, also, for the tip to check different stores. We'll keep all of those tips in mind when we get back.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18, 12:28am

Post #31 of 42 (190 views)
Shortcut
We're definitely flying home [In reply to] Can't Post

We made it to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale without incident this a.m., yay! Many of the typical restrictions are being implemented here (e.g., school closures, restrictions on bar & restaurant hours), but the hotel restaurant is open and our flight tomorrow is still on-time.

We both feel great, have been in a relatively low risk environment (considering all the tests and precautions we've undergone), are healthy, and not at vulnerable ages, so while we would obviously prefer not to get sick, neither of us fear catching the virus ourselves any more than we fear catching the flu. The only reason we wouldn't fly would be to decrease exposure to others, but everyone flying now has to look at their own risk factors and make their own decisions.

I see no other positives coming from any of this at all except for hopefully being better prepared for a future world-wide virus (that will eventually come), that unlike COVID19 is a true 'extinction event.' Otherwise, in my opinion any short-term benefit to the environment from unemployed people not commuting to work, going on vacations, etc. isn't worth the cost.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 18, 1:28pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18, 12:30am

Post #32 of 42 (183 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, cat! [In reply to] Can't Post

No horror story here, thankfully. I more wanted to convey what 'real life' on most cruise ships that were out at-sea was really like. I'll definitely give updates!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18, 12:35am

Post #33 of 42 (187 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Aunt Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine a semester-at-sea would be even more protected due to not constantly taking bunches of new people onto the ship. But, times are what they are. I hope you and uncle B. are doing fine, and that your friends and their semester-at-sea ship sets sail as soon as possible!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 20, 12:00am

Post #34 of 42 (129 views)
Shortcut
They actually just got back. [In reply to] Can't Post

They flew from the equator over the north pole and went through 12 time zones in a few minutes. It's been fun following their adventures.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:42am

Post #35 of 42 (123 views)
Shortcut
Home! [In reply to] Can't Post

We arrived home last night safe and sound!

We're now imposing a voluntary 14-day quarantine on ourselves where we won't go into public areas other than making a few trips to our grocery store for necessities. We made a trip to our store today and found everything we needed, although things like eggs and milk had minimum purchase quantity guidelines. Luckily, we belong to Costco and had gone shopping just before our trip, so we won't be needing paper goods for quite a while - a good thing considering, as many of you said, there was no TP to be found.

After describing the preventative measures Cunard took, our self-imposed quarantine isn't so much that we just got off a cruise ship, it's mostly due to passing through the Ft. Lauderdale airport at prime spring-break time for colleges and universities here in the U.S.. Standing in snaking ticket and security lines for extended periods made it next to impossible to maintain anything resembling a safe personal space. So far, we both feel great, but of course want to minimize our contact with others 'just in case.'

Continuing to wish all of you good health and minimal impact at this challenging time. Heart

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 20, 4:46am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 5:40am

Post #36 of 42 (112 views)
Shortcut
Welcome home! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you had a good and healthy trip and made it back despite all the confusion. Also, welcome to the ranks of the self-quarantined. It's not as much fun as the Mediocrity Bench, but at least we still have our virtual meeting spaces. Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20, 12:26pm

Post #37 of 42 (93 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Virtual works good here :D [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 20, 12:52pm

Post #38 of 42 (85 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're back and well-supplied. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20, 4:15pm

Post #39 of 42 (83 views)
Shortcut
You made it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Safe and, hopefully, quite sound! Welcome home! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Mar 21, 10:41am

Post #40 of 42 (81 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back to the Scouring of the Stores! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear your trip was salvageable.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21, 12:16pm

Post #41 of 42 (78 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Scouring of the Stores" - Elanor, that's perfect! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 28, 5:31am

Post #42 of 42 (44 views)
Shortcut
Altaira was lucky. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very scary': pleas for safe harbour from stranded cruise ship near Panama
Two people have tested positive for coronavirus and four have died on the Zaandam luxury cruise linerhttps://www.theguardian.com/...ise-ship-near-panama

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.