Here's hoping everyone is doing well :)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2020, 10:51am

Post #1 of 97 (621 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping everyone is doing well :) Can't Post

With the huge scale of the virus going on, I want to wish everyone well and to remember that such trials do have an end :)

There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

All of the Universities in Michigan are closing classrooms and are working online for 1 to 3 weeks; and my g'son's University in Iowa has done the same for 3 weeks. The same is starting with K-12 schools, too.

HANG IN THERE! And scrub-a-dub-dub ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 13 2020, 10:52am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 13 2020, 12:16pm

Post #2 of 97 (489 views)
Shortcut
The UK seems to be adopting a slightly more lenient approach [In reply to] Can't Post

than some countries, so far at least - no school closures yet, some sporting events going ahead - but things will tighten up soon I daresay. Son-in-law has been told to work from home when possible and he's quite happy about that. He might not be able to concentrate quite as well if schools do close and there are two small boys bouncing about the place! At least they have a good-sized garden to run round in, weather permitting. My cousin in Switzerland is very glad she has the Alps between her and Italy. The latest ban on flights from Europe to the US is going to catch a lot of people out; I hope people aren't stranded. The ban doesn't include flights from England though - I can't help wondering how many people might just nip over here and catch a flight, if they were stuck. My cousin's partner has elderly unwell relatives in Santa Fe, so he must be a bit jumpy right now.

I'm washing my hands well every time I come home from going anywhere, especially the supermarket. Just soap and water. Judging by the emptiness of the supermarket shelves, I don't think it has occurred to some people that antibacterial hand gel is not going to help against a virus - might as well use soap! Plenty of that about.There's been a run on toilet rolls too - presumably due to people too young to remember - or perhaps even think of - cutting up sheets of newspaper... not that I used to do that, but some of the members of my knitting group were reminiscing about it yesterday!
Ah well, we'll do what we can to manage the risks and see how it all turns out. Stay safe, people - try not to catch it, but if you do, try not to spread it.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 13 2020, 1:09pm

Post #3 of 97 (482 views)
Shortcut
Update - travel loophole has been closed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just heard on the lunchtime news that recent travel history of anyone flying from England will be checked and if they've been to any of the 'forbidden' countries recently they won't be allowed to fly. All football matches have been cancelled too, so no.1 grandson will be disappointed - he was due to watch the local team tomorrow. Ah well, can't be helped!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 13 2020, 3:49pm

Post #4 of 97 (479 views)
Shortcut
It's relatively quiet in WNY [In reply to] Can't Post

The pandemic has impacted us. UBCon at the University of Buffalo has been cancelled. My mother-in-law has a compromised immune system, so we need to take extra precautions around her. Of course we, like the rest of the nation, have to live with a Chief Executive who places politics and personal interest above the public good. Unsure

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2020, 4:42pm

Post #5 of 97 (469 views)
Shortcut
My plumber was here yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

And he had me cracking up when he told me he saw a big, clear garbage bag full of raked leaves in someone's yard. There was a huge sign next to it saying, "FREE ORGANIC TOILET PAPER"

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 13 2020, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 97 (468 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, scratchy! [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 13 2020, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 97 (464 views)
Shortcut
Things seemed normal in Boston until this week [In reply to] Can't Post

I realized yesterday that the normal gridlock and honking horns at morning rush hour in front of my home were gone. Rush hour traffic has become as light and fluid as weekend traffic; a result of people working from home and many (not all) schools being closed.

Over the past few weeks I've been gradually stocking up on non-perishable food, making extra trips to the grocery store, but not buying tons of anything. I went today, thinking "it's a rainy day and 10 am on Friday, so I'll beat the crowd." Wrong. For the first time *ever,* the parking lot was full, and it was very busy inside. Not chaotic, however, just busy.

It was strange to pass aisles which were nearly all well-stocked, then come to toilet paper--all gone. Eggs--all gone. And for some reason, all the bagels and English muffins were gone too, even though they can get moldy, so I wouldn't have bought any anyway. But otherwise it was normally stocked, and for some reason, no one got the memo that facial tissues can be used as toilet paper, so there was a lot of them left (for me it's more about runny nose and allergies).

So it wasn't the Hollywood scene of panic and chaos, but clearly people are afraid. The cashiers were clearly stressed, and I thanked them for working and keeping the store open, which halted our conversation and produced grim, silent expressions on their faces--I can only speculate what management has told them. But I felt bad for them, because everyone is breathing in their direction all day long, and they must feel vulnerable on top of working hard to keep the lines moving.

I don't see it as an apocalypse and do expect things to return to normal in a couple months, but it's gone from being a news item in faraway China to something that is altering daily life in the US now.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 13 2020, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 97 (457 views)
Shortcut
How soap works--geekfest [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say I'm one of the people who's skeptical about the effectiveness of soap because it's been around forever like milk and bread and seems simple and primitive, plus it feels rather soothing physically and doesn't have a medicinal smell like any self-respecting hygiene product does, so this article. "Why Soap Works," in the NY Times was a good explanation of the chemistry of soap and how it destroys many viruses and bacteria. No prescription needed and sold rather cheaply wherever humans live in high numbers. Thank our ancestors for this medical breakthrough.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 13 2020, 8:20pm

Post #9 of 97 (453 views)
Shortcut
Lol! If you happen to be in certain parts of NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

You can avoid the crowds in the supermarket and enjoy the all natural softness of the bushman's friend.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 13 2020, 9:43pm

Post #10 of 97 (452 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. [In reply to] Can't Post

My family and I decided to still go to Universal Studios Florida, since as of our leave we were still being told on the news to go about our everyday lives as long as we weren't going to certain areas. We were armed with Purell and sanitary wipes. All heck apparently broke loose just as we headed home. The parks are all closing on Sunday, and experts are now advising people not to travel if they don't have to. My brother has been instructed to work from home this upcoming week.

On the other hand, my niece said it might have been her best vacation so far. Hope we made the right decision, and guess we'll know in about 2 1/2 weeks...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2020, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 97 (441 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

With my luck, I'd grab poison oak!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2020, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 97 (447 views)
Shortcut
Two weeks...minimum. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the schools in this state are now closed for at least two weeks; mine is, as of 5 p.m. today. We're going on "snow day" status: only full-year non-teaching staff will be allowed in the building.

This will give me the time to finish physically cleaning and upgrading the electronic records of hundreds of books in our K-2 reading area, a task I've been working on in bits and pieces between regular duties, so all is good, there.

But I'm bothered that kids won't be able to come in and get extra books to tide them through this break - even the town library has closed its doors! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 13 2020, 11:09pm

Post #13 of 97 (446 views)
Shortcut
Just saw [In reply to] Can't Post

All New York Public Libraries closed. Museums including the three Met museums, MOMA and AMNH are shutting down too, with no projected reopening date.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2020, 2:41am

Post #14 of 97 (415 views)
Shortcut
Eeerily quiet, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny how the traffic becomes background noise that's part of your surroundings.

The other thing that was run out is powdered milk. I make my own coffee mix (like café Vienna), and it's part of my ingredients. I didn't need any, but I noticed it was gone. My pantry/freezer is already pretty-well stocked because of my usual winter stores.

You're so right about the cashiers. I'm sure they also got all the grumbling about supplies that were gone, too. Good for you to notice them as RL people who are really on the front lines. Pretty scary.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2020, 2:47am

Post #15 of 97 (424 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you made it [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you definitely lucked out. I'm sure you'll be okay if you were taking steps to prevent germs. To hear your niece come away from it so happy is a memory you'll always have :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2020, 3:00am

Post #16 of 97 (418 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be strange [In reply to] Can't Post

To get to the parking lot and find it nearly empty. I'm glad you'll have a chance to get caught up on your project. Are you doing barcoding and scanning? You seemed to have been pretty busy with your every-day work making it hard to get into a big job like that. Just think... you can make stacks of books all over the place and holler across the room at anyone else that's there! SO against the rules on a normal day :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2020, 3:18am

Post #17 of 97 (414 views)
Shortcut
I hope it stays like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything in my neck of the woods has gone dark, including the annual Home Show I was looking forward to attending tomorrow (Saturday).

My sister has invited we 3 other siblings to her home for a mini-moot in a couple of weeks; and I'm nervous about it for her sake. She's 70 and has always had a very frail immune system and very high/sensitivity food allergies. They live in the county where one of the first 2 virus-positive people appeared this week.

I hope your mother-in-law comes through this without a problem.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2020, 3:21am

Post #18 of 97 (419 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sad...but very necessary. Unsure

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2020, 3:40am

Post #19 of 97 (412 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be [In reply to] Can't Post

like summer break, when the office crew and maintenance and I are the only ones there.

Probably half the books in this library were here before I started working here, when they didn't have anyone who knew the Follett Destiny library system well, or how to edit MARC records. So call numbers and other spine labels were slapped on, and rudimentary records used (and improperly edited). I've been cleaning up the spines and records and doing any needed restoration (or weeding) in small sections over the years. This gives me a chance to tackle the much-circulated picture books in one fell swoop (except for what's currently checked out).

And if I'm hollering...it's me singing along to my Beatles CDs! Laugh

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 14 2020, 4:03am

Post #20 of 97 (411 views)
Shortcut
Here, too. The governor closed all schools this afternoon. [In reply to] Can't Post

No big events/shows in Harrisburg, no chocolate tours at Hershey, local church activities canceled due to members who commute to jobs in affected areas, etc. No known cases in our immediate area, yet, but it's not very far away from us... Unsure

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2020, 4:07am

Post #21 of 97 (425 views)
Shortcut
A major announcement here just now. [In reply to] Can't Post

As of midnight tomorrow, everyone arriving in New Zealand (including New Zealanders) will be required to self-isolate for 14 days. For those interested in more details, see here.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Mar 14 2020, 5:05am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2020, 4:40am

Post #22 of 97 (412 views)
Shortcut
No chocolate tours? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will they be shutting down the park?

We've had some churches in town decide to close temporarily. Ours is small with only local members, so we still plan to hold services, but refrain from hugs and handshakes (which will be difficult!). Blessing in disguise: one member was going to take a trip overseas last month, when her husband suddenly needed bypass surgery. He's doing fine, she's been home caring for him - and they avoided possible exposure to the virus.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2020, 5:10am

Post #23 of 97 (411 views)
Shortcut
Our tourism/hospitality industry will have a heart attack. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's got to be done.

International sports games canned. No cruise ships. Probably strong rules coming about large gatherings. I honestly never thought I'd see something as unprecedented as this.

A thought: I wonder if this might affect employees in open-plan offices?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 14 2020, 5:11am)

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 14 2020, 5:24am

Post #24 of 97 (406 views)
Shortcut
Wait till they start cancelling rugby [In reply to] Can't Post

The horror!I was ever so slightly hoping Jacinda was going to say schools were closing. I wonder if that will happen. We would probably close our unit sooner rather than later, even if our school was open. The majority of our children are immune compromised.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 14 2020, 2:31pm

Post #25 of 97 (362 views)
Shortcut
It feels like we're going on hibernation in springtime. [In reply to] Can't Post

Writing from Europe ... church services & meetings being cancelled all around, shops closing, universities and partly schools closing & going online. I'm working home office. Thank God for the internet and phones which make a lot of things possible. We've just got to dive through this!! At some point we shall resurface! Amen!

I was encouraged by the heart-warming speech the Austrian federal president gave. https://orf.at/stories/3157748
Unfortunately, there is no translation, but here's the approximate content:
He says, situation is serious, encourages people to be considerate and careful, and says, chose/invent your own greeting (why not have fun with that). Also, he explains how everybody might be feeling, what we might be worrying about. He proceeds to state that we've been through so much already in past times, and humans can adapt quickly ... this ability will help us now, and this way, hopefully, we'll get out of this asap. Although it is a challenge. He thanks everyone who is taking measures, including the viewer, ending by encouraging people to look out for one another and the country. I think this can apply to many countries.

I also found it encouraging how a preacher, Joseph Prince, talks about not giving in to fear. I was debating if I should share this... the POV is from a specific strand of Christianity, which assumes the existence of spiritual laws or principles. The thought is that you can cooperate with those laws, to, (if all goes well) receive supernatural things from God. One needs to get a proper understanding of this though, so as to not misapply it. The video merely touches on it.
But – I think everyone can watch the video and be encouraged by how he says: Don't be fearful! So that's why I'll share it Tongue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxILcSMO7Uc

Anyone else got something to share that encouraged them?

Btw thanks for the Tolkien quote :-).

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Mar 14 2020, 2:40pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.