Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the March Daylight Saving Time reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 10, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 3 (122 views)
Shortcut
It's the March Daylight Saving Time reading thread! Can't Post

We "leapt forward" early Sunday morning and my biorhythms are still a bit off, yawn. While I'm not a fan of DST---we already have long too-hot-to-go-outside evenings here, thank you---I know people who like them very much. I've always wondered just why DST is supposed to save energy.

I'm just finishing the ebook of Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies, with its very different version of elves. His remind me less of Tolkien's than of Ben Aaronovitch's elves, as portrayed in the fourth Peter Grant novel, Foxglove Summer. But then, neither Pratchett nor Aaronovitch play elves as straight as Tolkien does.

On paper I'm catching up with the magazine subscriptions as well as enjoying a pretty little hardcover photography book, Carousels of Paris, by Kaye Wilkinson Barley. Kaye is a friend and Francophile. With her husband, Don, she puts her time in Paris to good use taking lovely photos of carousels (who knew there were so many?) and similar attractions.

I'm listening to Death Comes as the End, an Agatha Christie novel unique among her very long list of works because it takes place in ancient Egypt. IIRC, she wrote this during World War II when current events overran her usual story settings. It's basically an English country-house novel set on an ancient Egyptian estate where a killer is picking off the members of the extended family. Christie nicely splits the difference between the pleasure of a relatively familiar plot and the pleasure of an exotic setting.

The book is read by Emilia Fox. Her viewpoint character reminds me of Jo Grant, a companion of the third Doctor on the venerable Doctor Who series, while one of the household servants sounds like Andy Serkis's Gollum.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 10, 4:45pm

Post #2 of 3 (110 views)
Shortcut
The Fey are Dangerous [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm just finishing the ebook of Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies, with its very different version of elves. His remind me less of Tolkien's than of Ben Aaronovitch's elves, as portrayed in the fourth Peter Grant novel, Foxglove Summer. But then, neither Pratchett nor Aaronovitch play elves as straight as Tolkien does.

Whether you call them Elves or Fairies, the Fey are dangerous even when they are allegedly on your side. I also love the way Jim Butcher treats the Fey in his Dresden Files series.

Right now I'm just re-reading the second book in Troy Denning's Prism Pentad (which takes place in the D&D 'Dark Sun' setting). I've been re-reading the series when I don't have anything new on my plate. I'm also taking my time with the second of the new collections of Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura manga.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 10, 4:52pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Mar 10, 11:11pm

Post #3 of 3 (102 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Lords and Ladies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good book, that. Morris dancing gets a mention too - I do sometimes wonder what it was that was so lethal about the Stick and Bucket dance! I've just finished Carpe Jugulum, an entertaining and at times rather dark take on the vampire phenomenon.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.