Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Recent Instagram posts

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Mar 9, 9:13am

Post #1 of 14 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Recent Instagram posts Can't Post

It seems odd to me that, after about a month of filming, only one (presumed) location set would be known, i.e. Riverhead, which also happens to be a stone's throw (to exaggerate slightly) from the studio believed to be the headquarters for the show. Is Amazon Studios that good at going into and out of location shoots without people finding out and/or reporting on it? Are they only doing one or two location shoots a month, with the bulk of filming in studios? Are they saving most location filming till just before the hiatus?

Anyway, with the continuing silence from official channels, the most "official" news we've been getting is from the Instagram accounts of people attached to the project, including J.A. Bayona, Nazanin Boniadi, and Simon Merrells.

On January 25, Redanian Intelligence reported that Simon Merrells had been cast in a recurring role. Last week he posted an image of The Silmarillion, open to Chapter 15 of the Quenta Silmarillion, "Of the Noldor in Beleriand":

Killing Time

This would seem to confirm his involvement in the series, but was he assigned the reading, or is he doing it on his own initiative?

Then, this past weekend, Nazanin Boniadi posted a photo of her and others, including fellow actors, after a race in Auckland:

Just did the 8.5K

Kneeling are actors Georgie Oulton, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Nazanin Boniadi, and Tyroe Muhafidin. Standing, beginning second from left, are Megan Richards, Simon Merrells, and Markella Kavenagh. Standing third from right is Robert Aramayo, and on the far right is Morfydd Clark, supposedly. (I'm not entirely convinced, but then I'm not very good at facial recognition. I can tell Clark Kent is Superman, and that's about it.) Simon Merrells, Robert Aramayo, Morfydd Clark, and Nazanin Boniadi were identified by sight (in a discussion on Reddit). The others were tagged in the Instagram post.

Georgie Oulton is apparently involved in another production, but the rest are associated with the Amazon series.

Finally, Simon Merrells also posted a photo of himself with Ismael Cruz Córdova and Robert Aramayo after the race:

Just finished the 8.4 k

Without indulging in too much speculation (yet), a few items of note:

Morfydd Clark (?) has blond hair.
Markella Kavenagh has dark hair.
Robert Aramayo has light facial hair.
As does Ismael Cruz Córdova.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 9, 4:35pm)

Althoun
Lorien

Mar 9, 1:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Of Hair colour and beards.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that Markella Kavenagh appears to have 'blonde' hair naturally (and all her previous photographs on google are either blonde or at least fair, this is her normal look: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhTLyIpBQ6u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link), yet she's now sporting dark hair during production.

Of course, she may be wearing a wig for the role (particularly of she were playing Celebrían, who may have silver hair) but it is tempting to speculate that she may have dyed it for the show.

Morfydd Clark was, of course, identified as playing Galadriel by Variety or Deadline (trustworthy sources), so the blond hair would be consistent with that. Her natural shade seems to be much darker.

As for the guys, with the exception of Círdan, the Elves are all beardless. Simon Merrells is beardless (although he looks a tad old to be playing an Elf imho).

The beards on Rob and Ismael don't look heavy, so it may be the case that their just a few days away from their next shoot and are yet to be shaved. That said, if the beards are staying for the shoots then, of course, that would pretty much preclude them from playing Elves - we'd have to consider Men or Dwarves.

Quite insane that this deep into filming of the first two episodes, we've had zero leaks from location-shoots and are reduced to trying to divine things from actors' hair-dye and hair growth!

Solicitr
Gondor

Mar 9, 2:35pm

Post #3 of 14 (1185 views)
Shortcut
It's [In reply to] Can't Post

entirely possible they're not doing much if any location shooting; it's all greenscreen with landscapes composited in.

Althoun
Lorien

Mar 9, 3:39pm

Post #4 of 14 (1172 views)
Shortcut
According to local reporting... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
entirely possible they're not doing much if any location shooting; it's all greenscreen with landscapes composited in.

They are doing a lot of internal studio greenscreening but also a range of location-shoots:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/119761019/massive-production-underway-for-lord-of-the-rings-in-auckland

"They'll be shooting a lot in studios, because they need to create these worlds. But they will be shooting a lot in the South Island and around Auckland, as well as down in the Waikato and other places," she said, in an interview last year.

We'd expect to have something leaking out somewhere from the latter but as of yet nada.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 9, 7:33pm

Post #5 of 14 (1110 views)
Shortcut
An example of the logistics of location shooting from The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Production Blog 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgfEqJZht44

The first :46 seconds probably says it for this tv production as well.
"...after many many weeks of shooting in the studio, we've established our characters,we've established our story, and it was finally time to get on the road and establish the landscapes of Middle-earth."

Eruonen
Valinor

Mar 10, 12:59am

Post #6 of 14 (1022 views)
Shortcut
I always enjoy the extras...sometimes more than the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Mar 10, 4:52am

Post #7 of 14 (997 views)
Shortcut
Landscapes of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"...after many many weeks of shooting in the studio, we've established our characters,we've established our story, and it was finally time to get on the road and establish the landscapes of Middle-earth."

I’m hoping that’s how it is with this series as well.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 10, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 14 (843 views)
Shortcut
Clark Kent is Superman? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't belive it. they're two different people

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Mar 12, 11:29am

Post #9 of 14 (649 views)
Shortcut
Speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

I had earlier speculated that Markella Kavenagh was Celebrían. That was mostly based on her youth and blond hair (in all photos of her apart from her role in Romper Stomper) and my idea that Celebrían had blond hair. One way or the other, my speculation was most likely wrong. Either Kavenagh is not playing Celebrían, or Celebrían most likely does not have blond hair. Otherwise, why not just keep Kavenagh's natural hair color? Celebrían was the daughter of Celeborn, and Galadriel, who both had silver or silver-gold hair. It would make sense for her to have a similar hair color, but I suppose it's possible that her Noldor ancestry could manifest itself in dark hair. I hadn't previously considered the idea, but Celebrían's name could be an indication that she had silver hair, in which case Kavenagh would most likely be wearing a wig, and the fact that she dyed her hair is irrelevant. On the other hand, I'd say her dark hair increases the likelihood that she's playing Erendis or some other Númenórean. Or she could be a completely new character.

Morfydd Clark was rumored to play Galadriel. She apparently has blond hair now, even though in most photos her hair is not that light. She may not be playing Galadriel, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Most people thought Will Poulter was playing Elrond, or at least an Elf. Robert Aramayo is supposedly his replacement. The facial hair would seem to be inconsistent with the idea that he's playing an Elf, but given that it isn't very long, perhaps he was just letting it grow out between shoots. Another possibility: perhaps he's playing Elrond and Mirror Elrond—that is, Elros. Assuming Elros appears in the show, even briefly, it would make sense to use facial hair to distinguish him visually from Elrond. One problem with this idea: according to Unfinished Tales, Tolkien at least toyed with the idea that Men who had significant Elven blood were distinguishable from other Men because they were beardless.

There are some men from Nazanin Boniadi's post who have significantly more facial hair, but I don't know if any of them are involved in the production. None of them seem to be among the principal actors.

Based on her headshot, some people speculated that Megan Richards was playing a Dwarf. Based more recent photographs i think that's less likely. My speculation is that she and Tyroe Muhafidin are going to be Easterlings.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 12, 1:46pm

Post #10 of 14 (627 views)
Shortcut
Reports have definitively stated that Morfydd Clark is Galadriel. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is confirmed and is not a rumor.

#FidelityToTolkien

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 12, 4:01pm

Post #11 of 14 (612 views)
Shortcut
Not confirmed by the studio [In reply to] Can't Post

While numerous outlets reported that Ms. Clark was going to play a "young" Galadriel (which itself makes little sense), Amazon has never confirmed that those reports are true, nor has Ms. Clark or her representatives. So while the reports are likely to be true, it certainly is not officially "confirmed".

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 12, 7:28pm

Post #12 of 14 (578 views)
Shortcut
Close enough for government work. [In reply to] Can't Post

'Young' is a relative term. Galadriel would be thousands of years younger here than she was during the War of the Ring. The casting of Morfydd Clark as Galadriel is, if not 100% confirmed, certain enough to call it.

#FidelityToTolkien

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 12, 7:46pm

Post #13 of 14 (575 views)
Shortcut
It certainly is more "confirmed" than the story about the writers being fired! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

As for Galadriel being younger, while chronologically she would certainly be younger, I would not expect her appearance to be much different in the Second Age (when she was already thousands of years old, having been born in Valinor in the long years before the rising of the Sun and the Moon) than at the end of the Third.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 13, 1:55am

Post #14 of 14 (523 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel in the Second Age [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It certainly is more "confirmed" than the story about the writers being fired!

Yes, I think we can move past that now.

In Reply To
As for Galadriel being younger, while chronologically she would certainly be younger, I would not expect her appearance to be much different in the Second Age (when she was already thousands of years old, having been born in Valinor in the long years before the rising of the Sun and the Moon) than at the end of the Third.

As long as the show treats Galadriel as the strong, capable character that Tolkien wrote her as, I'll take the "Young Galadriel" label as a simple short-hand that distinguishes her from the the Lady of the Golden Wood we meet in The Fellowship of the Ring. At least Morfydd Clark is well past her teen-aged years; I can't find her year of birth, but she seems to be in her mid to late 20s.

#FidelityToTolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.