Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
New illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Mar 10, 10:36am

Post #26 of 36 (385 views)
Shortcut
Well, I got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am not sure that everyone did! Smile I suppose that they are called the unfinished tales for a reason.......

InTheChair
Lorien

Mar 10, 9:22pm

Post #27 of 36 (379 views)
Shortcut
I like these in concept. [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of newer blood, I wouldn't mind seeing contributions from Jon Hodgson, former art director at game company Cubicle 7 who was also a key artist for The One Ring Roleplaying Game.

These to me fit very well with the kind of time age I think Tolkien had in mind. Very different from the imprint of late middle ages, or modern computer games where characters wear layer upon layer of armour plating on arms, shoulder, knees, etc.. and where spikes and edges tend to crop out both here and there.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 10, 11:00pm

Post #28 of 36 (375 views)
Shortcut
At this point... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm hoping that Hodgson will be hired to provide covers and interior art for the recently announced revival of The One Ring Roleplaying Game at Swedish publisher Free League.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 10, 11:02pm)

Solicitr
Gondor

Mar 11, 1:39am

Post #29 of 36 (363 views)
Shortcut
You [In reply to] Can't Post

left out the Ridiculously Oversized Weapons.

Fantasy art waraxe:

Real waraxe:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 11, 2:52am

Post #30 of 36 (357 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson does love his over-sized props.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 11, 2:54am)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 16, 5:40am

Post #31 of 36 (227 views)
Shortcut
you answered "sure" . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . but didn't make the argument!

My question concerned texts that Christopher Tolkien was unaware of before he published the constructed Silmarillion.

That appeared to be your earlier suggestion anyway. . . otherwise, I wouldn't have asked!

No offense Smile

Solicitr
Gondor

Mar 16, 1:33pm

Post #32 of 36 (200 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
. . . but didn't make the argument!

My question concerned texts that Christopher Tolkien was unaware of before he published the constructed Silmarillion.

That appeared to be your earlier suggestion anyway. . . otherwise, I wouldn't have asked!

No offense Smile

that there were many of those that really fit the ambit of the proposed book. For example, CT didn't know of the later Annals of Valinor, dating from the late 1930s, but they really are of interest as part of historical development, since they of course were superseded by later texts.

-------------------------

Also, I went back and re-read what Christopher told me and it was not actually an absolute NO. Rather, he felt that

"I haven't got a cut and dried answer. I would probably not be the best person to decide it, if it actually became an issue (e. g. if Harper Collins got hold of it), for I would inevitably see it as posing a threat to the survival of the primordial idea of the History, which might come about in different ways. But this pessimistic view is of course very debatable.

More practically, the individual pieces selected for inclusion in the new volume - or perhaps two volumes - would obviously require editorial apparatus quite diffent from, though of course derived from, the History, and the provision of this I would find unattractive and depressing. At the same time it just wouldn't work to have it done by somebody else with my looking over their shoulder.

For these not fully thought out reasons I think that the acceptance or rejection of the idea will have to wait until we have a change of management! But I would be very interested to know how you respond to what I've said here."

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 16, 3:17pm

Post #33 of 36 (195 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the quote from CJRT [In reply to] Can't Post

Also

In Reply To
( . . .) For example, CT didn't know of the later Annals of Valinor, dating from the late 1930s, but they really are of interest as part of historical development, since they of course were superseded by later texts.

Good example.

My problem is that I don't have a handy list of the previously unknown texts, so, without re-reading selected portions of HME again . . . I was lazily hoping someone did!

(This post was edited by Elthir on Mar 16, 3:23pm)

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Mar 16, 5:20pm

Post #34 of 36 (183 views)
Shortcut
Then I misunderstood what you were asking for [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just saying that Christopher should have redone the Silmarillion after finishing his very exhaustive study of Tolkienís papers (only part of which was published as HOME) in which he also discovered some writings that heíd been unaware of when first putting the book together. I only mentioned the discover of other material as an example of what his greater analysis had revealed, not necessarily as the sole reason to redo the work.

The only text I can say (and Iíd have to check my own HOME books to be completely sure) Christopher specifically mentions having no knowledge of before 1977 (and which might offer more than a few lines here or there) is some of the Beren and Luthien prose writings he refers to in volume 5. But since he didnít publish these prose documents, itís hard to know in what way they would alter/ expand what we already have.

"Behold! the hope of Elvenland,
the fire of FŽanor, Light of Morn
before the sun and moon were born,
thus out of bondage came at last,
from iron to mortal hand it passed."
-The Lay of Leithian

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 16, 8:26pm

Post #35 of 36 (172 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Half the time I don't know what I mean.

And the other half, I don't mean what I know!

Or something.

Silmaril
Rohan

Mar 27, 5:15pm

Post #36 of 36 (91 views)
Shortcut
Great news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.