Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do you think about COVID-19?
Poll: What do you think about COVID-19?
I'm extremely worried. This could be very bad.
Not very concerned for myself but concerned about at-risk friends and family
I'm being cautious, but pretty much living life as normal
I think the hullabaloo is an over-reaction
Other
View Results (33 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 5 2020, 4:31pm

Post #1 of 16 (5922 views)
Shortcut
What do you think about COVID-19? Can't Post

Here I am in Washington State, a couple of towns over from the epicenter. Our shelves are bare of sanitizer and gloves and masks (masks don't help anyway), the news media hardly talk about anything else, and restaurants and other businesses are struggling as people stay home.

I'm over 60, but in robust health, so apart from diligent hand-washing and not touching things directly, I'm pretty much living life as usual. I am quite concerned about my 95-year-old father, but he's not!

But I'm not making any predictions.

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 5 2020, 4:32pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2020, 5:29pm

Post #2 of 16 (5845 views)
Shortcut
Your degree of worry [In reply to] Can't Post

would depend on the country you're in and your accessibility to health services, I expect. What is important is that people get their health information from a government health body, not from social media.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 6 2020, 2:29am

Post #3 of 16 (5814 views)
Shortcut
I do like some of the advice on social media [In reply to] Can't Post

Like "wash your hands like you're Lady MacBeth" or "wash your hands like you just peeled a bunch of hot peppers and you need to put in your contact lenses."

And my favorite so far; "instead of shaking hands, let's all do 'jazz hands' at each other."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2020, 4:18am

Post #4 of 16 (5807 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that fun stuff's great [In reply to] Can't Post

at getting simple messages across but when it comes to science and news, I get wary. Call it the old journalist in me.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6 2020, 11:16pm

Post #5 of 16 (5742 views)
Shortcut
Mixed messages on masks [In reply to] Can't Post

The official line is that the US public shouldn't buy masks since they won't help. Oh, and we're not supposed to buy them because they WILL help health workers who need them. I'm a little irritated that the official message is so contradictory since it creates a credibility gap. All the same, I'm not buying any masks, just washing my hands and realizing I really do touch my face several times a day without realizing it. Hard to break bad habits when everyone does it and no one realizes it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2020, 3:02pm

Post #6 of 16 (5686 views)
Shortcut
That's probably the biggest problem [In reply to] Can't Post

The things we do, without even realizing we're doing them!

I work with books and little kids and all their germs, so I'm used to automatically touching my face with the back of my hand if I do, and washing a lot. But friends and I were talking this morning about people who diligently wipe doorknobs in public places, but touch the metal plate on "push" doors, or push buttons, without thinking!

Maybe we should go back to wearing gloves when outside the house, like they did in our grandparents'/great-grandparents' day?

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2020, 12:55am

Post #7 of 16 (5639 views)
Shortcut
The uncertainty about social and economic effects [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of the most troubling aspects. I had expected to see my daughter at SXSW.... my own professional conference in San Francisco next month is cancelled ... the CDC and local leaders in San Antonio disagree about how to handle evacuees ... several universities are bringing students home from abroad ... etc., etc. Often the problem is the fear of being stuck in quarantine as much as catching the illness itself.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 8 2020, 5:57pm

Post #8 of 16 (5568 views)
Shortcut
yes, that [In reply to] Can't Post

Often the problem is the fear of being stuck in quarantine as much as catching the illness itself.

My siblings & I have a plan for if I am the one who gets it and has to self-quarantine for two weeks, leaving my dad to fend for himself - which he can't do. (He said he'd change the analog clocks in the kitchen last night; bless his heart, he put one of them TWO hours ahead and the other half an hour ahead . . .)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1 2020, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 16 (2882 views)
Shortcut
seven months later [In reply to] Can't Post

I note that I believed masks don't help. Reversed myself on that one pretty fast!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2020, 9:16pm

Post #10 of 16 (2879 views)
Shortcut
At first [In reply to] Can't Post

we all had no idea how easily spread and lethal this virus is. Then it hit us like the proverbial ton of bricks. It was a painful learning process.

I wonder if there's few people now who are more than two degrees of separation from someone who's died from it.

I still think about your friends' chorus. Unsure

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2020, 9:33pm

Post #11 of 16 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Same. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I still think about your friends' chorus. Unsure

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 2 2020, 1:46am

Post #12 of 16 (2869 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

That story made me feel so sad and really stuck with me.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2020, 4:50am

Post #13 of 16 (2858 views)
Shortcut
San Antonio is down to green level (5%) [In reply to] Can't Post

but I still think a lot of restaurants and other businesses are reopening too soon. I'm staying home except for pharmacy and doctor visits.
Tonight the news is all about Hope Hicks and the Trumps. No matter what your political views, I hope we can all wish them a speedy recovery.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 1:54pm

Post #14 of 16 (2702 views)
Shortcut
extremely worried [In reply to] Can't Post

not only being myself in 3-4 risk groups but I know lots of others who are too ... And have seen far too many "young folks" (15-30-year-olds) totally ignoring the restrictions we in fact did and do have even here in Sweden. They do not seem able to realize that they themselves perhaps not might be getting really ill but that they could spread it to the more vulnerable groups in the population.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2020, 8:36pm

Post #15 of 16 (2687 views)
Shortcut
Frustrating, isn't it, [In reply to] Can't Post

when you're doing your best to keep yourselves and others safe but you see people just not caring. That attitude lengthens the time that restrictions will be needed for (as well as puts their family members/friends in danger).

My best wishes to you, Ioreth. I hope you stay safe over there.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 12:18pm

Post #16 of 16 (2672 views)
Shortcut
yes, frustrating [In reply to] Can't Post

is the word.
Especially since most of the restrictions in Sweden were for "people older than 70 and all in several riskgroups" - the others had far fewer restrictions / recommendations.

But last week finally ALL have more or less the same restrictions ... Which of course some of the younger ones have started complaining about ...

Well well. We can only hope that some people sometime WILL understand and FOLLOW the most basic precautions ...

Thanks Heart
I try do everything I can myself. Even if that means three layers of protective clothing and double layers of gloves - and I have sewn me a pretty Coronadress out of 3 old bed sheets. Plus sewn 2-to-4-layer masks. I look funny but I do not care. I do not want to end up in the ICU.
Despite nothing like that being required or even recommended here in Sweden.

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 31 2020, 12:21pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.