Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Maxim Baldry Confirmed as a Lead.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 11, 4:48pm

Post #51 of 62 (689 views)
Shortcut
Glad to be here [In reply to] Can't Post

and thanx for the reassurance. I have intentions of spending some the here each day going forward. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 11, 4:51pm

Post #52 of 62 (688 views)
Shortcut
I have kept an eye on you guys [In reply to] Can't Post

and have followed TORn's Facebook page. But it feels like the right time to get back into the discussion. Somehow it seems like coming home. KS

Photobucket

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 11, 5:26pm

Post #53 of 62 (673 views)
Shortcut
found the social media side has gone down hill [In reply to] Can't Post

way too unnecessarily negative.And easily jump on the perceived negative.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Mar 11, 5:32pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 11, 7:09pm

Post #54 of 62 (631 views)
Shortcut
Please explicate.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 11, 7:17pm

Post #55 of 62 (628 views)
Shortcut
You talkin' to me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you aim that query at me (it's linked to my original post)? Or was it meant for someone else? I can't tell what you need explained.

#FidelityToTolkien

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 11, 9:00pm

Post #56 of 62 (597 views)
Shortcut
few months back [In reply to] Can't Post

they where very negative about some of the writers.

-Irfon

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 11, 9:07pm

Post #57 of 62 (595 views)
Shortcut
also this tweet is just bad [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1026499858109149184?s=19

-Irfon

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 12, 12:25am

Post #58 of 62 (537 views)
Shortcut
Please, disregard. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You talkin' to me?
Did you aim that query at me (it's linked to my original post)? Or was it meant for someone else? I can't tell what you need explained.

My internet was acting up earlier; when I tried to follow the "reply to" link using cut and paste, it led back to the top of the thread, not to Welch hero's post.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 12, 12:28am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 12, 3:52am

Post #59 of 62 (483 views)
Shortcut
That is the one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Mar 12, 10:45am

Post #60 of 62 (429 views)
Shortcut
Measure twice, cut once [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear the rumor was false, for the show's sake, if not for the sake of TORn's reputation. I figured there was some sort of misunderstanding because, although it isn't unusual for shows to lose and gain writers from season to season, it seems very unusual to me that the whole writing team would be let go at once. It makes about as much sense as letting go the whole art department, or firing all the actors. The creative team, at least most of them, should be able to adapt to changing requirements or visions, and the producers should be able to communicate such changes to them. It shouldn't be necessary to let everybody go and hire a new team.

Speaking of adapting: I remember that, back during the heady days of 2001-2003 (and earlier and later, but I really only visited during that time period), TORn was the place to be to discuss Tolkien, and particularly the new films, or in my case, to lurk and read about it all. Well, times change. TORn is still a good place to discuss Tolkien with knowledgeable people, perhaps less so than some more scholarly forums, but more so, in my experience, than other forums that are discussing the Amazon series. On the other hand, whereas in 1999-2003 it could be said that "TORn has many spies", these days it seems the spies are more distributed. We get industry rumors from Deadline, Variety, and Hollywood Reporter. We get occasional local news reports from Stuff and the New Zealand Herald. We get production rumors from Redanian Intelligence, a site devoted mostly to the Witcher TV series. And now social media posts from writers, actors, and the director. And so on.

My point is that TORn is no longer the place to go for production news and rumors. In part this is because of Amazon's secrecy, but in part it's also a natural development of the online Tolkien fanbase, which has always been larger than TORn. I have no reason to doubt that TORn has its own sources, but I would say the situation now requires TORn (speaking here particularly of the TORn Tuesdays hosts and Twitter adminstrators) to be extra careful to make sure they fully understand what their sources are telling them, and also not to add their own spin when passing information on to the rest of us, or at least to clarify when they're passing on information directly and when they're speculating based on that information. Also, oftentimes fragmentary information can have multiple possible interpretations. In such cases it's best not to jump to one interpretation as the right one, but to present various possible interpretations and let the audience decide which one they think makes the most sense. They need to be careful not to burn any bridges with their sources, not to mention Amazon.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Solicitr
Gondor

Mar 12, 2:21pm

Post #61 of 62 (401 views)
Shortcut
A lot [In reply to] Can't Post

of it has to do with the fact that with PJ/Wingnut, TORN (together with AICN) had 'preferred access'- which in reality meant that it was chosen by the studio PR department as an outlet for subrosa press releases which were feigned to be "leaks." TORN was in effect an unpaid arm of New Line's ad campaign. Or not precisely unpaid, given the huge amount of paid advertising WETA Workshop tossed its way.

TORN has no such relationship with Amazon, and is on the outside with its nose pressed up against the glass just like everyone else.

Noria
Gondor

Mar 13, 9:00pm

Post #62 of 62 (297 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that was a good relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

A positive, mutually beneficial arrangement that made many fans happy. Amazon could learn something from that.

As for Wetas advertising, though Im not a collector, I imagine that those who do collect loved seeing what Weta was creating. Also, the people who create and maintain sites like TORn for the benefit of other fans deserve our thanks and all the help they can get.

(Though the information provided should be as accurate as possible.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.