*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2020, 2:59pm

Post #26 of 35 (656 views)
Shortcut
Oh good... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good she feels strong enough to chase ya'll out ;) We used to leave Mom with puzzles, too. Usually the next visit she'd have one set up and ready to go on the folding table in the corner surrounded by chairs.

Thanks for the recipe!!! I'll have to take it with me when I go visit my Balti peeps this Spring!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 23 2020, 4:02pm

Post #27 of 35 (655 views)
Shortcut
Ah, peacocks... [In reply to] Can't Post

that mournful cry, the elegance of the plumage - but not forgetting the small-dog-sized squits to be avoided and the other cry, which is rather like a truck horn honking! I stayed once at the 16th century gatehouse of Gwydir Castle in North Wales - very atmospheric, if rather chilly - and the peacocks roamed free in the grounds and used to sit on the roof and honk! If the link works (copy and paste?), the gatehouse is the small building to left of picture. The doorkey was 6" long and the walls were an armslength thick.https://www.walescottageholidays.co.uk/...wag232-the-gatehouse

Best of luck with the Mumak, gramma - a keen eye and a steady hand required for that!
I had the grandsons for a sleepover on Friday night - fun, as always, and they didn't wake me up until after 7am which was a bonus. Enjoy what's left of your weekend, one and all!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 23 2020, 9:58pm)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 23 2020, 5:24pm

Post #28 of 35 (648 views)
Shortcut
ow [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have realized I must be much more diligent about strength training. I walk a lot, but I've run into other problems because walking only exercises a select group of muscles. Lucky for me a couple of my closest friends are PTs and they've given me exercises to do.

My primary physician told me when I turned 50 to start doing balance exercises, which is the other vital thing once one gets to a certain level of maturity.

So I will be exercising in solidarity with you! Here's to rapid improvement for both of us. (Hoists healthy smoothie)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2020, 10:05pm

Post #29 of 35 (632 views)
Shortcut
What a pleasant getaway! [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the link "clickable". They've managed to squeeze all the amenities into a small space - are there plenty of grounds for walks around?

LOL, I'm happy when the cat doesn't wake me before 7 a.m. on the weekend! Laugh What did you and the boys do for fun?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2020, 2:00am

Post #30 of 35 (615 views)
Shortcut
Friendly enough [In reply to] Can't Post

for the staffer at the wildlife centre to handle this one. But she said we'd better be hands-off, as they might bite when startled. And as they have *three* rows of teeth, that bite can be quite something!

Fascinating critters. They pre-date dinosaurs, they're the only surviving remnant of their branch of life, and they have a third eye!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2020, 4:01am

Post #31 of 35 (608 views)
Shortcut
Awww, it's a toddler! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe a teenager - not sure of the growth chart. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 24 2020, 9:07am

Post #32 of 35 (585 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing that - [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a lovely spot and you have free access to walk around the grounds. There is also a slightly more roomy coach house conversion available for rent. The 'castle' itself - not really a castle but a Tudor manor house - is very interesting, The owners light a huge log fire in the main room to keep the place aired and make it feel more inhabited.
I only had the boys until lunchtime on Saturday but we fitted in a couple of games (they like Top Trumps - I have Harry Potter and Avengers versions - and Snap) and a trip to the swings, as it had stopped raining.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2020, 12:48pm

Post #33 of 35 (574 views)
Shortcut
*drools* How lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Geez, that Gatehouse is incredible! The atmosphere of history would be overwhelming! I'm so glad you had fun with the g'sons and that they were good for you to get some extra sleep! You're training them well ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 24 2020, 9:36pm

Post #34 of 35 (546 views)
Shortcut
It just oozed atmosphere... [In reply to] Can't Post

although when I went, there was just the open stone fireplace that sucked all the heat out; I could sit on the sofa in front of the fire and still see my breath! I see they have a closed woodburner now, which might not be as authentic, but makes a lot of sense. I sat there imagining all the people who would have passed through by the gatehouse over the years. I particularly remember an old cedar tree in the grounds which was one of a number planted to celebrate Charles I's wedding in 1625. Mind-boggling place.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2020, 3:03am

Post #35 of 35 (527 views)
Shortcut
Teenager. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she was 16/17, from memory. Likely to outlive us all!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.