Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Namárië! Barbara Remington Dies, Age 90

BOSW
Bree

Feb 16, 8:44pm

Post #1 of 3 (939 views)
Shortcut
Namárië! Barbara Remington Dies, Age 90 Can't Post

https://www.pahomepage.com/...-susquehanna-county/

Tolkien hated her art but for a lot of people my age, her tripadelic covers seemed to be an extension of the Ralph Bakshi movie (1978). I still love her triptych, it captured a mood and a moment perfectly.

We're really losing a lot of people who helped make Middle Earth the enduring phenomenon it is today. Sigh. . . .

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17, 1:36pm

Post #2 of 3 (885 views)
Shortcut
You're right... we're losing so many [In reply to] Can't Post

Her covers for LotR & TH are so iconic and were my first 2 of my original set of LotR. The full-sized poster of her covers and the lion & emus vs no lion & emus covers for The Hobbit is still a bit topic for collectors.

You're so right that we're losing many of those who have created and nurtured Middle-earth are being lost to us. I think Ms Remington knew what her work meant to the evolution of Tolkien's world... and what a big part she played in it.

Thank you for this. Peace for her family, friends and fans.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 17, 1:39pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 3 (875 views)
Shortcut
Lions vs. Emus [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Her covers for LotR & TH are so iconic and were my first 2 of my original set of LotR. The full-sized poster of her covers and the lion & emus vs no lion & emus covers for The Hobbit is still a bit topic for collectors.

Yeah, I don't have any objection to using a lion as a metaphor for the perils of Middle-earth, as I'm sure that lions could be found in several regions of M-e even if Tolkien never mentioned them. Emus might have been a bit more scarce, probably not found outside of the Dark Land/South Land across the Inner Seas from Harad. Wink

Ms. Remington's paintings of Middle-earth might not have been entirely accurate, but they were certainly evocative, almost haunting.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 17, 2:56pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.