Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Amazons Lord of the Rings enters production in New Zealand

Althoun
Lorien

Feb 8, 4:02pm

Post #1 of 13 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Amazons Lord of the Rings enters production in New Zealand Can't Post

Latest from the sleuths at Redanian Intelligence:

https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/02/08/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-enters-production-in-new-zealand/

(This post was edited by Althoun on Feb 8, 4:04pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 8, 4:08pm

Post #2 of 13 (1161 views)
Shortcut
If they truly were sleuths [In reply to] Can't Post

They would find out who are the characters that the actors are actually playing. Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Althoun
Lorien

Feb 8, 4:10pm

Post #3 of 13 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They would find out who are the characters that the actors are actually playing. Wink

'Sleuth' is a relative term, I guess, given Amazon's Soviet-style secrecy about this production Tongue

Chen G.
Rohan

Feb 8, 4:46pm

Post #4 of 13 (1155 views)
Shortcut
The main takeway seems to be the wet set [In reply to] Can't Post

The wet-set seems to include a large body of water with a wharf or boat and a big green-screen, presumably to extend the water.

This isn't unexpected given the setting, but it is potentially our first glimpse at the show exploring something that the feature films never showed us: the sea.

I'm all for it.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Feb 8, 7:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (1107 views)
Shortcut
YES!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the news I was looking for.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9, 12:45am

Post #6 of 13 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This isn't unexpected given the setting, but it is potentially our first glimpse at the show exploring something that the feature films never showed us: the sea.

...unless we count the Gulf of Lune. Angelic

#FidelityToTolkien

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Feb 10, 8:29am

Post #7 of 13 (858 views)
Shortcut
Ships and horses [In reply to] Can't Post

A Facebook post about a horse being used for filming something is pretty thin gruel, but the location is consistent with reports from last year that filming of the series would take place at Kumeu Film Studios, as well as Auckland Film Studios, and around Queenstown:

NewstalkZB, June 30, 2019
NZ Herald, July 2, 2019

If Amazon Studios currently has exclusive use of Kumeu Film Studios, then presumably there will be at least one horse in the series. I would also expect there to be at least one ship, given Kumeu's large pool with green screen.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

(This post was edited by Hasuwandil on Feb 10, 8:34am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 10, 3:01pm

Post #8 of 13 (799 views)
Shortcut
Understatement, thy name is Hasuwandil. [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films made use of literally every available horse in New Zealand, I think it's a safe bet that more than one equestrian mount will make its way into the series. We might not see very many practical ship sets, but the Númenóreans were famously mariners and maintained an entire fleet of ships by the time of Ar-Pharazôn. Most of those vessels will doubtless be digital creations in the show, but some sets will be required, and maybe a full-sized mock-up. We are also bound to see some Elven ships and maybe some belonging to coastal-dwelling Haradrim.

#FidelityToTolkien

fantasywind
Bree

Feb 10, 4:58pm

Post #9 of 13 (779 views)
Shortcut
water set [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The wet-set seems to include a large body of water with a wharf or boat and a big green-screen, presumably to extend the water.
I'm all for it.

That was to be expected the focus on Numenor as the seafaring kingdom and all that, good observation. Mariner's Wife adaptation could explore :) Aldarion's sea voyages, hell it could give material to make naval adventure flick or something like Master and Commander: The Far side of the World if they wanted to, plus it would show other important stuff introduce Gil-galad, Cirdan, show Aldarion's meeting with Galadriel and Celeborn and so on.I would vastly prefer for them to adapt Mariner's Wife for first season rather than do something different or a fanfiction of their own making. Plus seaward regions, the island of Numenor itself and Mithlond the Grey Havens ought to be key locations so more sea and water oriented sets would be expected (plus Mithlond could potentially have visual continuity with the movie portrayal and John Howe will probably do so, though I must say it would have been interesting to see some different artist doing concept art, just to see other people's vision).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 10, 7:28pm

Post #10 of 13 (753 views)
Shortcut
Ports of Call [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Plus seaward regions, the island of Numenor itself and Mithlond the Grey Havens ought to be key locations so more sea and water oriented sets would be expected (plus Mithlond could potentially have visual continuity with the movie portrayal and John Howe will probably do so, though I must say it would have been interesting to see some different artist doing concept art, just to see other people's vision).

Yes, some significant time will doubtless be spent in the Númenórean port of Rómenna as well as the Grey Havens. But there were also other significant ports and port cities in Middle-earth during the Second Age: Vinyalondë (later Lond Daer) on the estuary of the river Gwathló (Greyflood); Edhellond, the other great harbor of the Elves, in what would become southern Gondor (near Dol Amroth); the city of Pelargir, founded in S.A. 2350; and the Havens of Umbar. Doubtless there would have been other seaports in the South and East that Tolkien never named nor described and would have to be invented from scratch, but the show might never give them any significant attention anyway. The Undying Lands should probably be kept at a distance until Ar-Pharazôn makes his ill-fated landing on the coast of Valinor.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 10, 7:36pm)

mushroom

Feb 14, 9:33am

Post #11 of 13 (389 views)
Shortcut
Accident on set reported [In reply to] Can't Post

Filming in Auckland for big-budget television series Lord of the Rings has made a rocky start after an accident on set left a stuntwoman seriously injured.

Elissa Cadwell, an experienced Brisbane-based stunt woman, actor and dancer, who recently doubled for Nicole Kidman in Aquaman, is understood to have been injured during rehearsals at the sprawling Kumeu Film Studio.

Sources confirmed she fell into water in large tanks as planned, but her head struck a bolt in the process. One witness said the resulting injuries were traumatic.

Cadwell, who recently wrapped filming in South Australia in her first big break as an actor after being cast as combative vampire Nitara in the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot, declined to comment when reached by the Weekend Herald...

The full article
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...12308646&ref=rss

Wish her a speed recovery

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Fri, 9:14pm)

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Feb 14, 2:16pm

Post #12 of 13 (350 views)
Shortcut
Get well soon, Elissa [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad news. I wish her a full and speedy recovery.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Sat, 2:49pm

Post #13 of 13 (200 views)
Shortcut
That's terrible news [In reply to] Can't Post

I have her and her family in my prayers.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.