Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Niam:
The usage of Narya in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Siege of Minas Tirith.

Iarhen
Erihs Eht

Feb 13, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 8 (1311 views)
Shortcut
The usage of Narya in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Siege of Minas Tirith. Can't Post

As we know, Narya the Great, the Ring of Fire, had amongst its powers, those of inspiring people to resist tyranny, to have hope and courage, to "rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill" (as Cirdan said to Gandalf when he gave him the ring).

Gandalf, then, took Narya with him through his many adventures and travel in Middle Earth.

When the army of Minas Morgul, led by the Witch King and the Nazgul, attacked Minas Tirith, the terror that the Nine produced wherever they went was used against the army of Gondor.

Nevertheless, Gandalf participated in the battle, and inspired men to defend themselves and their city against the attack. Now, I remember (though I dont recall if it was in the book or in the Peter Jackson movie) that, at some point, Pippin comes to walls to fight the incoming invasion - and he seemed as if he was pulled into it by the calling of Gandalf to fight.

My question is... do you think that Narya was used to counter the terror that the Nazgul and their powers inflicted upon the Gondorian armies? If that's the case, and if the Nazgul are considered to have their respective rings, do you think there are other instances when the usage of either of the Three is opposed to the usage of the Nine?

I can think of the tale of the hunt for the ring by the Nazgul, when they are looking for the villages of the hobbits upon the Anduin - when the Witch King suspects that, maybe, the lands of the Hobbits are inside the hated land of Lothlorien and under the protection of the fences woven by Galadriel - but that he didn't dare to enter Lorien and defy the power of the White Ring.

What do you guys think?

"You have no power here, servant of Morgoth! You are nameless! Faceless! Formless! Go back to the Void from whence you came!"

CuriousG
Nevle-flah

Feb 14, 3:15am

Post #2 of 8 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Great question, Iarhen [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf certainly did raise the hearts of the men defending Minas Tirith, but he had a sadly temporary effect:

So it was that Gandalf took command of the last defence of the City of Gondor. Wherever he came men’s hearts would lift again, and the winged shadows pass from memory. Tirelessly he strode from Citadel to Gate, from north to south about the wall; and with him went the Prince of Dol Amroth in his shining mail. For he and his knights still held themselves like lords in whom the race of Númenor ran true...

And yet – when they had gone, the shadows closed on men again, and their hearts went cold, and the valour of Gondor withered into ash.

And I would say Gandalf and Narya had zero effect on poor Pippin when faced with the Witch-king:

Forcing himself on against a gust of fear and horror that shook him almost to his knees, Pippin turned a corner opening on the wide place behind the City Gate. He stopped dead. He had found Gandalf; but he shrank back, cowering into a shadow.

One good match-up of 2 of the Three against the Nine was the flood at the Ford of Bruinen. And when Gandalf faced the Nine alone on Weathertop, I imagine Narya was part of his magic offense/defense along with his staff. I would think it helped him defeat the Balrog as well, but I'm sure there are those who disagree.

Solicitr
NahoR

Feb 14, 1:49pm

Post #3 of 8 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would expect fire wasn't the best elemental attack vs Balrogs.

Lissuin
Ronilav

Feb 14, 8:19pm

Post #4 of 8 (1196 views)
Shortcut
No? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe that's the origin of the old saying, "Fight fire with fire."

Narya
Erihs Eht

Feb 16, 11:33pm

Post #5 of 8 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re Narya [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it was used to strengthen the hearts of the people, sustain their courage and generate hope in the face of overwhelming despair.

I believe that, elsewhere, Nenya was instrumental in cloaking Lothlorien, and Vilya protected Rivendell in similar fashion.

The Three were not devised as weapons, but Elrond may have used Vilya to fashion the flood that swept away the Nine.

Even the wise cannot see all ends.

ange1e4e5
Rodnog

Feb 17, 12:10am

Post #6 of 8 (1057 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, Vilya is the Ring of Air. Water seems above that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Solicitr
NahoR

Feb 22, 3:39pm

Post #7 of 8 (950 views)
Shortcut
Or it could have been a dam with a sluice gate..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Asger
Llednevir

Feb 23, 10:46am

Post #8 of 8 (903 views)
Shortcut
Vilya [In reply to] Can't Post

...could have made wind sweeping down the river causing the flood :-)

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.