Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Keeping the Fandom

Erethen
The Shire

Feb 11, 7:35pm

Post #1 of 13 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Keeping the Fandom Can't Post

The publications are seemingly at an end, the movies finished, and the show seems to be still several years away. Sadly, it even seems quiet around these parts in recent years.

So, my question is this; how do you keep the fandom alive for yourself? Is it daily, weekly, once a year? How do you plan to keep it going in the future?

meleth,
Erethen

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 11, 8:17pm

Post #2 of 13 (976 views)
Shortcut
I've been working with the Silmarillion Film Project headed by Corey Olsen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Link is here.

https://mythgard.org/silmfilm/

We're covering events in a roughly chronological order and currently on the first 260 years of the First Age, alongside a frame story centered in the Third Age.

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 11, 9:22pm

Post #3 of 13 (967 views)
Shortcut
I've dabbled in RPG content. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been writing home-brewed (i.e. amateur) content for The One Ring Roleplaying Game, though the game itself is currently out-of-print (but expected to be revived in the near future from another publisher).

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12, 12:29am

Post #4 of 13 (966 views)
Shortcut
Is this a trick question? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

It just happens! I mean... LotR and TH have been such a huge part of my life since I first started reading LotR in 1971 (when I was 19yo), that I really can't imagine my days without it in my head. So I've actually kept the fandom alive for 30 years (1971-2001) before FotR was released. I've just realized that February next year will be my 50th anniversary of discovering Tolkien.

So... what I do now is a daily post of TIME/BS, weekly Walk to Rivendell, occasionally sling drinks for Fiesta Friday, and drop a variety of topical posts when I can. I find that, as it is with every interest, you get out of it what you put into it. If you're content with a quiet distraction or escape, this is the place! If you like action and high-volume interaction, you already know what to do for that :)

TORn is so wonderful about keeping the home fires burning. There's always something to do, to share, or to discover.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 12, 3:02am

Post #5 of 13 (945 views)
Shortcut
Yes, oh yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 12, 4:47am

Post #6 of 13 (937 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon -- July 31-Aug. 3 -- Albuquerque [In reply to] Can't Post

Mythcon 51: "The Mythic, the Fantastic, and the Alien"

Author Guest of Honor: Rivera Sun

Scholar Guest of Honor: David Bratman

I plan to attend!

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 13 (885 views)
Shortcut
What gramma said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19, 12:29pm

Post #8 of 13 (688 views)
Shortcut
Are you mooting? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not doing conventions anymore; but I hope you run into peeps to share thoughts and topic with :D HAVE FUN!!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eärendil The Mariner
The Shire

Feb 29, 9:24pm

Post #9 of 13 (584 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien community gave me some of the best people in my life [In reply to] Can't Post

I started posting at TORn back when FOTR came out, and soon after I joined the local Serbian community of Tolkien.rs (the forums are now not active anymore). I met my future (and current) wife there, and moved to Serbia to be with her. The community is still closely knit on Facebook and IRL, and we meet every year on the Professor's birthday in Belgrade, and continue our own traditions and friendships.

We have travelled to Sofia, Bulgaria twice now, for FOTR and TTT in Concert, with an amazing orchestra and choirs, joined by the soloist Kaitlyn Lusk, who was chosen by Howard Shore himself to take part in the original LOTR Symphony world tour, conducted by himself. We're going back again, for ROTK, on April 24th. Can't wait to put the Fellowship back, both trips were great fun and the concerts were amazing experiences.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 29, 10:46pm

Post #10 of 13 (573 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, Eärendil, it's been a long time (since April 2011, to be exact!)! So much has happened for you - it's true what Tolkien said, about being careful if you step outside your door! Laugh

And it's wonderful that you'll soon have been able to see all three movies in concert. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1, 2:46pm

Post #11 of 13 (539 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant!! [In reply to] Can't Post

AWESOME!!! Give her a hug for me! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 1, 2:50pm)

BOSW
Bree

Mar 2, 12:17am

Post #12 of 13 (523 views)
Shortcut
I Have To be Honest.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from not having any more prime texts to look forward to, I'm very happy right now! I despised the Jackson movies, will never watch that Amazon trash, and for a brief moment it's like the days before 2001, a wonderful, if brief, stopover in Rivendell before the Goblins emerge from their mountains again.....

I've never had any use for "fandoms" - communicating with others who love Tolkien's writing is enough, without it becoming a "fandom".

(This post was edited by BOSW on Mar 2, 12:18am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 21, 5:56am

Post #13 of 13 (162 views)
Shortcut
I try to use illustrations from the stories... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when making points in bible study groups and when saying sermons.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 21, 5:58am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.