Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Cipot Ffo:
The Oscars! (and a shameless plug)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Aessere Lot

Feb 9, 6:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (344 views)
Shortcut
The Oscars! (and a shameless plug) Can't Post

Tonight's that night of the year when movie lovers celebrate and get enraged at the same time! Tongue

This year is a little bit different for me, as I'm now co-host of a YouTube Channel - and we're doing an Oscars Pre-show! Cool

Me and my co-hosts are going to be talking (arguing about Wink) our favorite movies from 2019 and making predictions and all that good stuff.

If any of you would like to stop by, I'd be super appreciative. There's going to be a live chat going as well. You don't have to take part, but it's a lovely group of people.

Here's the link to the stream (it starts at 6 PM ET): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73FMG2N8fU

Either way, I hope you all enjoy the ceremony tonight! Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

Come join me in discussing all things cinema, television and literature at ConcerningFantasy.com.

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 4:39am

Post #2 of 14 (271 views)
Shortcut
Whoa, "Parasite" won. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the first year in three decades that I hadn't seen even one of the nominated films by the date of the awards, although I'd like to catch up with several of them. But even without knowing whether Parasite deserved the honor, I can say it's about time a foreign-language film won Best Picture; there have been so many that deserved that honor. (It's probably fair to say that in most years, the best film is not an English-language production, but Oscar rarely even has foreign-language films nominated for that award.)

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Otaku-sempai
Latrommi

Feb 10, 5:02am

Post #3 of 14 (267 views)
Shortcut
The Joker did pretty well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see that Joaquin Phoenix won 'Best Actor' for The Joker, and the film got 'Best Original Score'. It didn't sweep its categories, but I never expected that it would. Parasite made out better than I expected it to; I figured The Irishman for 'Best Picture'. I also haven't managed to see any of this year's nominees.

#FidelityToTolkien

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 5:06am

Post #4 of 14 (264 views)
Shortcut
Previous foreign-language films that should have won Best Picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 15, 17, 18, and 20 on this list are just some of the non-English films that deserved that honor.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 5:12am

Post #5 of 14 (262 views)
Shortcut
As regards its Best Score award... [In reply to] Can't Post

One commentator I've been following wrote during the show:

Little Women is maybe Alexandre Desplat’s best score to date and should win here, but I think we’re about to get blindsided with a dose of John Williams nostalgia.

OK, I guess not. Hildur Guðnadóttir is a great composer, but her score for Chernobyl is far superior to Joker.

The Joker score would be a great piece of standalone chamber music. But the way Todd Phillips used it in the final cut of the film, it just came across as creepy clown music.

Based on reputation, I expected 1917 to be the Best Picture winner.

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 5:42am

Post #6 of 14 (262 views)
Shortcut
"Marty" (1955) and "Parasite" (2019). [In reply to] Can't Post

The only two films to win both the Palme d'Or at Cannes and the Best Picture award at the Oscars.

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 5:44am

Post #7 of 14 (259 views)
Shortcut
Walt Disney (1954) and Bong Joon-Ho (2020). [In reply to] Can't Post

The only two people to win four Oscars in one night.

Starling
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 6:48am

Post #8 of 14 (259 views)
Shortcut
Never mind any of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Taika got an Oscar. HeartHeartHeartHeart *Does happy dance*
Hope the show has gone well. Smile

Kelly of Water's Edge
NahoR

Feb 10, 1:02pm

Post #9 of 14 (231 views)
Shortcut
Aside from Parasite's stunning win [In reply to] Can't Post

the big news, at a glance, seems to be Luke Perry's omission from the "In Memoriam" section. That seems to be relatively normal procedure for people better known for their television work. The Oscar runners know that they'll be in the "In Memoriam" section of the Emmys. They leave their own "In Memoriam" for actors best known for movie work, and to leave enough room for behind-the-scenes movie people who were significant but not known by the general public. It seems there's controversy most years because someone or another was left out. One of the biggest ones that comes to mind was Ryan O'Neal raising heck when Farrah Fawcett was left out because the Oscar runners knew she would be included in the Emmy's memorial for Charlie's Angels and, more importantly, her excellent work in The Burning Bed.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10, 5:42pm

Post #10 of 14 (203 views)
Shortcut
That's the first time I've seen Taika nervous. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so cute. Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10, 5:45pm

Post #11 of 14 (204 views)
Shortcut
I remember that film. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and, more importantly, her excellent work in The Burning Bed.

And I remember, well, not 'liking it', because of the subject matter; but it was certainly a good movie and she was impressive in it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 6:05pm

Post #12 of 14 (196 views)
Shortcut
Taika--nervous?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad I didn't watch, that would have been worth it. I'll have to look for a clip somewhere. Any interview I've seen him in, he was always calm as a cucumber, no matter the topic, and I figured he had two professional settings: calm or funny.

Lissuin
Ronilav

Feb 10, 11:16pm

Post #13 of 14 (172 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Taika looking nervous. I would never have imagined it. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in NZ we have the video within this Stuff article.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/...scar-for-jojo-rabbit
Folks elsewhere can get it on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thLLq4VcpI and MicroSoft News.

His interview post-ceremony. It's all classically him - humour and honesty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75CX7P0Gqk

Oh, and Taika, Apple is now changing the keyboards back! Laugh No, really. I understand they will also be quieter. Hallelujah!

Eat vegetables!

Starling
Nevle-flah

Feb 11, 6:09am

Post #14 of 14 (142 views)
Shortcut
His Mum [In reply to] Can't Post

said the same thing!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.