Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
R.I.P. Orson Bean, the voice of Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit" (1977).

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 8, 8:01pm

Post #1 of 7 (921 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. Orson Bean, the voice of Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit" (1977). Can't Post

Bean, aged 91, was struck by two cars and killed while walking near his home in California yesterday. You can read more about his wide-ranging career here.

Bean voiced not only Bilbo in the 1977 Rankin-Bass animated production of The Hobbit (which was my introduction to Tolkien) but also in the 1980 film of The Return of the King, where he additionally voiced the part of Frodo.

I had the good fortune to meet him more than ten years ago when he and his wife, Alley Mills (of The Wonder Years), visited the theater where I work.

Deepest condolences to his family.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

BOSW
Bree

Feb 8, 10:47pm

Post #2 of 7 (895 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. [In reply to] Can't Post

For most people of my generation, The Hobbit 1977 was their introduction to Tolkien. Whatever flaws the movie has, Bean did a great job as Bilbo. Seems like so many of the people who made Tolkien accessible to us in the 70's/80's are passing on.....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9, 12:41am

Post #3 of 7 (882 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. Orson Bean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd read about the tragic circumstances of Orson Bean's death this morning, but my mind completely blanked on his voice work as Bilbo Baggins in the Rankin/Bass adaptation of The Hobbit.

#FidelityToTolkien

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 9, 1:04am

Post #4 of 7 (877 views)
Shortcut
I didn't realize Glenn Yarbrough had passsed away in 2016. [In reply to] Can't Post

The folk singer who voiced a number the songs in both Rankin-Bass films died at the age of 86.

It seems Bean was the last member of the cast to surive, most of the others having left us years go.

But Hobbit producer Jules Bass is still alive.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 9, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 7 (814 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... so sad in every way [In reply to] Can't Post

To be lost in such a brutal way is awful. His participation in Tolkien's evolution was so beloved during all those years before Jackson's storytelling.

Peace for his lovely wife, family, friends and fans.

Thanks NEB. I'm so glad you were able to meet them and so many others :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 10, 6:56am

Post #6 of 7 (734 views)
Shortcut
As his Bilbo often said...bless his soul. [In reply to] Can't Post

Orson Bean as Bilbo is one of the highlights of Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit. I love that cartoon, and his voice has been instantly recognizable to me ever since I first saw it. From interviews I've seen, he seemed like a very nice person.

Best wishes to his family.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 10, 3:28pm

Post #7 of 7 (708 views)
Shortcut
Sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

His voice really did capture the essence of Bilbo. Bad enough he got clipped by the first car but to then be hit fby a second car (which sounds like it was the fatal blow) .. very sad ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.