Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Moor Gnidaer:
*** Favourite Chapters - The Muster of Rohan (LotR)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Solicitr
NahoR

Feb 8, 1:29pm

Post #51 of 59 (504 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of it derives, in patriarchal societies, from a brother's obligation to be his sister's protector and by extension that of her children as well; if a king, then extend patronage and advancement to her sons. And, of course, in Germanic societies where reciprocal obligations were a cornerstone of personal interactions, the loyalty of nephew to uncle would be equally sacrosanct.

-------------------

While we're at it, the line of Elendil began with a sister-son of the King of Numenor.....

noWizardme
Nevle-flah

Feb 9, 12:34pm

Post #52 of 59 (408 views)
Shortcut
Thanks I like that explanation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
"Yes, I am half-elven. No, it does not mean that I 'have one pointy ear' "
Sven Elven, proprietor of the Rivendell convenience store.

sador
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 12:35pm

Post #53 of 59 (326 views)
Shortcut
My apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not been able to reply to the points you have - and probably will be unable to before Thursday.

So just dropping a thank-you note to you, and all other participants.

Thinking about things I don't understand

noWizardme
Nevle-flah

Feb 10, 1:51pm

Post #54 of 59 (323 views)
Shortcut
And Thank YOU, sador [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I've really enjoyed this discussion. It went to places and insights I wasn't expecting, and I learned a lot from people sharing ideas, information and interpretations (and also pushing me towards a couple of realizations of my own).
If other folks are enjoying it too, maybe it's timely remind everyone that to keep the project running we need a continuous supply of volunteers to take a turn at leading a week. So if that is something you could do, please do head over to the schedule thread to sign up. As I write this we have chapters scheduled for just 2 weeks more (Hamfast Gamgee will finish on 23 February).

~~~~~~
"Yes, I am half-elven. No, it does not mean that I 'have one pointy ear' "
Sven Elven, proprietor of the Rivendell convenience store.

Hamfast Gamgee
SnevaH Yerg

Feb 12, 11:37am

Post #55 of 59 (291 views)
Shortcut
Why a muster now and not with Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or perhaps there was and Tolkien never mentioned it. Or was it just down to political paralysis at the top of Rohan?

Solicitr
NahoR

Feb 12, 5:46pm

Post #56 of 59 (288 views)
Shortcut
No time [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden had to ride west right now with whatever Riders he had available. A full Muster took days (six in this case)

sador
Nevle-flah

Feb 13, 2:12pm

Post #57 of 59 (258 views)
Shortcut
Late answers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Stuff like this leaves me with the impression that we're reading a sort of prose version of an epic poem, intercut with Merry's more eye-witness concerns and reports.

That's a good point.

In Reply To
it seems that we get a bit if history as it's made, and history as it will be remembered. It's not yet time to go all-out epic mode (Tolkien is saving that for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields).

In the Pelennor Fields, we will also get a short glimpse into Merry's viewpoint.

In Reply To
also imagine the Rohirrim as having bows that can be used by mounted archers, and I suppose those aren't very big, and so might not have huge range. (And if that cues someone who knows a lot about archery or mounted bowmen to post about the possibilities, then please go ahead!

I see this has been widely discussed. There are of course the Parthians as well.

In Reply To
Edoras naturally has a Golden Gable, hence the Rohirrim children's book 'Eowyn of Golden Gables'.

Heh.
But the heraldry of the House of Eorl is a white horse on a green field, so the gable might have been green...

In Reply To
Does Tolkien have that Baldor bit in the right place, I wonder? Would it have worked better to mention it before Passing of the Grey Company, so that we go 'a-ha!' when we see the bones?

I think it is better this way. Obviously, the order was necessitated by the scope of The Passing of the Grey Company, and Éowyn's word with Aragorn had to come before this chapter; but still I think it works better this way, adding to the mystery.

Thinking about things I don't understand

Hamfast Gamgee
SnevaH Yerg

Feb 15, 11:36am

Post #58 of 59 (234 views)
Shortcut
Although if they did have a Muster [In reply to] Can't Post

And with Theoden in full leadership, that army of Saruman would have been made short work of. Although a siege of Orthanc might be costly.

Solicitr
NahoR

Feb 15, 5:40pm

Post #59 of 59 (228 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

By the time the Muster was assembled, Rohan would have been overrun. Theoden (or at least Gandalf) knew that his forces in the West were desperately fighting to hold the Fords, and needed reinforcement by yesterday.

It's very significant that Theoden himself led them. It's not impossible that had Throden stayed behind and just sent Eomer, Saruman's army wouldn't have turned aside from the planned invasion to crush the holdouts in Helm's Deep, but in the event, they wanted the King.

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Feb 15, 5:42pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.