Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
More Tom Bombadil speculation

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 2, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 8 (460 views)
Shortcut
More Tom Bombadil speculation Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgTv5z5O0Q

Who and What was Tom Bombadil? - Lord of the Rings Lore

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 5, 7:48pm

Post #2 of 8 (352 views)
Shortcut
His conclusions are based on my work [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad he didn't cite me. For in-depth reasoning on Tom as the Music, check out my work which was posted seven years ago.
http://whoistombombadil.blogspot.com/

Not all those who wander are lost

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 5, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 8 (345 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 5, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 8 (344 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I would say Tom would die.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"....nor his dying if Sauron should win the war."

If you are correct about his nature than he exceeds Sauron by far. He may fall to me means that if the entire world is in Shadow he may leave.

"Could that power be defied by Bombadil alone? I think not. I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First; and then Night will come.'

Considering the council does not know who Tom B is nor his origins then I think "fall" is the wrong word.

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 5, 8:11pm

Post #5 of 8 (341 views)
Shortcut
can you give me the context of that quote? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm assuming it's from my work, and it is a substantial work in its size, and I don't remember it all in specific detail (it's been a while since I read it through again).

But I can hazard an initial response. I do not think we should conceive of Tom as being equal or lesser than Sauron, but as wholly different in nature/being. Comparing Sauron and Gandalf is one thing, they are both Ainur, but Tom (in my theory), is not. He is rather a one of kind being that is the incarnated spirit of the music.

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 5, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut
From your Conclusion [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with your statement that they are of different orders / categories. I like to think that at worst, Tom and Goldberry would withdraw from the world until it is restored. I wonder if JRRT even had a real origin in mind - from what he has said he knew Tom would be an anomaly.

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 5, 8:45pm

Post #7 of 8 (328 views)
Shortcut
dying and Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right, I was using dying in the sense of what Glorfindel says of Tom at the Council of Elrond, that he will be the last to fall after Sauron takes everything. Dying here is more metaphorical than not. In the context of my argument, I was arguing against Tom being the Spirit of the Earth, that he cannot fall, or cease to exist in this world, if he is the world because Sauron (and Morgoth) aim at enslaving the created world and ruling it, not killing it. So that sentence is linked to my earlier section on why Tom can't be a mere nature spirit. Perhaps I should clarify that in the conclusion. Moreover, I never rewrote or expanded the conclusion, but have since added to the nature spirit section, music theory, and several others.

Eruonen
Valinor

Feb 5, 8:46pm

Post #8 of 8 (324 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.