Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Noissucsid Seires VT Htrae-elddim:
Changing similar-sounding names

MerlinEngine
Resu Deretsiger

Jan 31, 11:22am

Post #1 of 2 (299 views)
Shortcut
Changing similar-sounding names Can't Post

Question: Assuming that both Aldarion and Anarion are going to appear in the show, are the showrunners going to be inclined to change one of their names in order not to cause confusion for the average viewer (the same question applies to other similar names)? If they decide to change one, who is it going to be? And what do they change it to?
(I'm aware that no one said anything about either or both of these characters appearing in the show.)

(This post was edited by MerlinEngine on Jan 31, 11:23am)

fantasywind
Eerb

Jan 31, 2:21pm

Post #2 of 2 (265 views)
Shortcut
names and short attention span [In reply to] Can't Post

For me the case of changing names for characters so to not confuse them with another character with similar sounding name always seemed weird, prime example being Game of Thrones changing name of character in books named Asha (Greyjoy) to Yarra just because there was another character named Osha (wildling woman), but consider this: Saruman and Sauron sound similar and thank goodness the movies did not try that trick :)...that is PJ's movies, the old animated Lotr of Bakshi couldn't really decide whether to name Saruman Saruman or...Aruman ;). I would prefer if they never do that and truth be told the names of Second Age characters are so varied in canon that if they would really use the canon characters there would be no need, it's the names of invented characters that I would worry about, those sort of things usually stick out like sore thumb.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.