Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Casting of Lúthien

FingonUnbroken

Jan 29, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 20 (864 views)
Shortcut
Casting of Lúthien Can't Post

Hello, I am brand new to the site. The death of Christopher Tolkien led me back to my love of all things Tolkien and I have been listening to the Prancing Pony Podcast.

This in turn led me to start reading the Hobbit to my best 7 year old son. It’s magical, I have never seen him so spellbound. By anything.

So I wanted to seek out an online community regarding the Tolkmeister and have landed here. Thrilled to be here, I hail from Ayrshire in Scotland and have been a massive Tolkien fan since the age of 10. Now I’m 40.

Anyway, regarding Lúthien, I have been watching Victoria Pendretti in “You” on Netflix and can’t help but feel she would be perfect. Good actor and she would track beautifully through to Arwen in terms of looks.

Any thoughts on Victoria or anyone else for this role?

FingonUnbroken

Jan 29, 1:31pm

Post #2 of 20 (838 views)
Shortcut
Oops [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess though that this was somewhat ill-advised as she is First Age and the Series is going to be 2nd age.

I guess one can like in hope of flashbacks.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 29, 3:35pm

Post #3 of 20 (812 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, we're unlikely to see Lúthien. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you've realized, the series is going to focus on the Second Age well after the time of Beren and Lúthien. We know that Galadriel has already been cast, with Morfydd Clark taking on the role. What other role do you see for Ms. Pendretti? I could easily see her as a Numenorean lady or queen or as an Eldar (Elda?) of the Teleri.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 29, 3:36pm)

FingonUnbroken

Jan 29, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 20 (793 views)
Shortcut
Tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think she definitely has a elvish air, but I’m struggling to think of a prominent female elf in the second age, other than Galadriel.

And I don’t want them making stuff up, a la “Tauriel”!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 29, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 20 (776 views)
Shortcut
Women of the Second Age [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Celebrían was likely born in either the First or Second Age, though she wouldn't wed Elrond until T.A. 100. Possibly Nimrodel of Lórien might have been around.

The three ruling queens of Númenor were:
1) Tar-Ancalimë, reigning from S.A. 1075 to 1280.
2) Tar-Telperiën, from 1556 to 1731.
3) Tar-Vanimeldë, from 2526 to 2637.

Then there was Míriel Ar-Zimraphel, who would have been queen if not for her husband Ar-Pharazôn, the last king of Númenor. There are a number of other Númenórean women who could appear in the series.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 29, 6:23pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 29, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 20 (764 views)
Shortcut
I immediately thought of Míriel when I saw the picture [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure why.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 29, 9:38pm

Post #7 of 20 (721 views)
Shortcut
She looks similar to Liv Tyler....maybe Celebrian the mother of Arwen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kasiopeia
The Shire

Jan 30, 8:02am

Post #8 of 20 (646 views)
Shortcut
That was my first thought as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

She really does look a lot like Liv and having watched a few clips of hers, even her voice sounds similar. I know Celebrian is probably going to be portrayed by Markella Kavenagh (and I'm certain she'll be brilliant), but going purely off looks, her soft voice and what little I've seen of her acting, I would love to see Victoria portray her.

fantasywind
Bree

Jan 30, 4:25pm

Post #9 of 20 (586 views)
Shortcut
great beauty [In reply to] Can't Post

Well another female role for Second Age to cast would be the queen Almarian, mother of Aldarion (if they ever take on Aldarion and Erendis story), Almarian was said to be woman of great beauty but golden haired (and her son as well), besides that there would be Aldarion's sisters: Ailinel and Almiel, aunts, like Silmarien and Isilmë. Not to mention possible roles for such women like Erendis and Ancalime themselves, then there are also minor characters Nuneth (mother of Erendis which is interesting as she has a conversation with her daughter, it would be fascinating element to have in the show, a mother to daughter heart to heart serious talk, ideal chance for showing the complex and nuance of female characters of Tolkien, and whiners demanding more female presence would finally shut up..but alas we are not living in a perfect world so most likely we won't see this story getting adapted), Zamin and other smaller female roles. Plus in case of another scenario say if the show would reach into further regions like Akallabeth and War of the Last Alliance following the faithful, we could get the additional female roles of wives of Amandil, Elendil, Isildur Anarion, we know those existed but we know nothing of them so here the writers could invent them and characterize them better, but in this areas lies the problem sometimes, aside from established stuff the writers can't really write well OC.

Meneldur was the son of Tar-Elendil, the fourth King of Númenor. He was the King's third child, for he had two sisters, named Silmarien and Isilmë. The elder of these was wedded to Elatan of Andúnië, and their son was Valandil, Lord of Andúnië, from whom came long after the lines of the Kings of Gondor and Arnor in Middle-earth.

Meneldur was a man of gentle mood, without pride, whose exercise was rather in thought than in deeds of the body. He loved dearly the land of Númenor and all things in it, but he gave no heed to the Sea that lay all about it; for his mind looked further than Middle-earth: he was enamoured of the stars and the heavens. All that he could gather of the lore of the Eldar and Edain concerning Eä and the deeps that lay about the Kingdom of Arda he studied, and his chief delight was in the watching of the stars. He built a tower in the Forostar (the northernmost region of the island) where the airs were clearest, from which by night he would survey the heavens and observe all the movements of the light of the firmament. 1

When Meneldur received the Sceptre he removed, as he must, from the Forostar, and dwelt in the great house of the Kings in Armenelos. He proved a good and wise king, though he never ceased to yearn for days in which he might enrich his knowledge of the heavens. His wife was a woman of great beauty, named Almarian. She was the daughter of Vëantur, Captain of the King's Ships under Tar-Elendil..."

The rest of possible females were already mentioned by others (I guess the characters of Nimrodel and Mithrellas could even get small cameos as well).

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Jan 31, 1:46pm

Post #10 of 20 (463 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to you and your son too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading Tolkien to one kid or another more or less continuously for six or seven years now, and I was realizing if my nine-year old continues to move slowly, she won't be done with the trilogy for long before my youngest sons are old enough to begin the Hobbit. Luckily I never get tired of it.

As to women (and elves) in the Second Age--there are just so few of them to be had, the show is going to have to invent a number of them, inevitably. It's no bad thing if they're well crafted to blend in. No end of men will also need to be inve ted, it's just a sparsely framed story as he left it.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 7, 3:14am

Post #11 of 20 (311 views)
Shortcut
There’s a site that cast Jessica Brown Findlay as Luthien. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Feb 7, 7:54am

Post #12 of 20 (307 views)
Shortcut
No actress... [In reply to] Can't Post

in the world has enough beauty to play Lúthien as Tolkien descibed her. Feel free to call me an extremist. In this case, I lend for the purist side.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Feb 7, 4:54pm

Post #13 of 20 (267 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree completely.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 7, 6:00pm

Post #14 of 20 (257 views)
Shortcut
That may be so... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No actress...in the world has enough beauty to play Lúthien as Tolkien descibed her. Feel free to call me an extremist. In this case, I lend for the purist side.

...but the day is bound to come when The Silmarillion is adapted for a visual medium (even if it's not until the work enters the publc domain). When that day comes, Lúthien will be depicted somehow, whether by a live actress, in animation or as a virtual character. It's not as though she hasn't already been represented in illustrated form.

#FidelityToTolkien

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Feb 7, 6:50pm

Post #15 of 20 (246 views)
Shortcut
true... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer well done animated films for the earlier stories of Middle-earth. I wish Amazon would have gone this route for its series.

Solicitr
Rohan

Feb 8, 12:37am

Post #16 of 20 (220 views)
Shortcut
Only [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would prefer well done animated films for the earlier stories of Middle-earth. I wish Amazon would have gone this route for its series.

if they can hire Michelangelo as lead artist. Or at least Doré.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 8, 3:54am

Post #17 of 20 (203 views)
Shortcut
We already went for the animated approach to Tolkien; [In reply to] Can't Post

The results were... less than stellar, with the Balrog being not scary enough, Legolas and Sam looked like they were mentally challenged, Saruman being renamed “Aruman” because the producers thought the viewers wouldn’t be able to distinguish between Sauron and Saruman, etc.

I always follow my job through.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Feb 8, 7:05am

Post #18 of 20 (189 views)
Shortcut
Valid points. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Chen G.
Rohan

Feb 8, 1:36pm

Post #19 of 20 (156 views)
Shortcut
That film was mixed-media, though [In reply to] Can't Post

Its actually one of my favourite aspects of Ralph Bakshi's effort: that its a blend of hand-drawn animation, rotoscoping, solarized live-action footage, shadow play and even a photomontage (one of the best parts of the movie, actually). The adaptation suggested by Forrest Ackerman was also going to be mixed-media.

I think there's something to be gleaned from that as this franchise progresses. Not that I want episodes delivered in animation, but if there's a way to incorporate other forms of visual storytelling into the series, and inject it with new stylistic devices, that will be in the favour of the franchise as a whole.

fantasywind
Bree

Feb 10, 4:32pm

Post #20 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
animation abhorrent :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The results were... less than stellar, with the Balrog being not scary enough, Legolas and Sam looked like they were mentally challenged, Saruman being renamed “Aruman” because the producers thought the viewers wouldn’t be able to distinguish between Sauron and Saruman, etc.

That was Bakshi animation so it was bound to turn out this way :). But jokes aside, I would welcome a modern attempt at animation, animation these days can be truly done well, of course it's always depends on who is making it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.