Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the end of January reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 28, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 5 (131 views)
Shortcut
It's the end of January reading thread! Can't Post

I've been reading an ebook titled House of Shadows, written by Nicola Cornick. It's a contemporary novel taking place in England, with interpolated seventeenth-century scenes as well as interpolated passages from a nineteenth-century diary. The main character, Holly, wants to solve her brother's disappearance and in the process solve a family mystery involving occult historical artifacts. Of course she meets an attractive man, and....

Well, the author is a friend of a friend so I won't get too analytical here. Suffice it to say, it's all holding my interest to a certain extent, but I'm skimming the text very briskly.

On paper I'm reading a true word-nerd book, Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style. The author is the copy chief at Random House and has spent many years delving into the minutiae of the (American version of the) English language. He writes with such verve and humor I'm loving every page even as I hope I benefit from the arcana of punctuation and related issues.

I'm listening to a book I've seen recommended in several places, not least here, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. The premise is a Russian aristocrat is placed under house arrest in a posh Moscow hotel by the revolutionary Communist regime in 1920. I'm on disc 3 of 13 discs and am thoroughly enjoying the lovely prose and the musings of the narrator. However, I can't help but wonder if the next ten discs are more of the same or whether an actual plot will eventually develop.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28, 4:49pm

Post #2 of 5 (112 views)
Shortcut
re the Gentleman [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a plot does develop. Every person becomes necessary to it, as does every setting he's touring you through. Enjoy it!

Dreyer is hilarious.

Ataahua got me reading the Warprize series by Elizabeth Vaughan. It's sword-and-romance at its best, with a healer-queen who saves her realm from invaders by agreeing to become the "warprize" of the invaders' leader. It's really about what happens when two very different cultures are forced to coexist.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jan 31, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 5 (85 views)
Shortcut
Been on a Napoleonic War kick lately [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished "Sharpe's Devil" and started "Sharpe's Battle". I'm taking a lot longer to finish any book than when I was younger but I should finally finish the Sharpe series this year.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31, 4:31pm

Post #4 of 5 (74 views)
Shortcut
Now I'm reading Agent Zigzag [In reply to] Can't Post

also at Ataahua's suggestion. True story of a British double agent. The most interesting part is about how the British overestimated how clever the German spy apparatus was. In fact most of the agents who were sent to England got caught almost immediately.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 1, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 5 (57 views)
Shortcut
"A demon punctured your party, your pub is patronless." [In reply to] Can't Post

Beowulf, abridged.

It's a work in progress, only having gotten about this far:

"Point is, people who lose at swimming? Probably monster food."

I look forward to reading the rest when it's finished!

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.