Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Relics in Middel-earth

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 26, 2:26pm

Post #1 of 10 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Relics in Middel-earth Can't Post

So I was thinking about what kind of relics do we see in middle-earth. Objects that are held in high honor and perhaps even contain powers or inspire those who hold them or are near them. Perhaps the shards of Narsil or the white tree of Gondor, or Gimli strand of Galadriel’s hair. I would love to hear of some examples of ancient cites or objects they in some way resembled relics.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 26, 2:32pm

Post #2 of 10 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Would the Silmarils count? [In reply to] Can't Post

Earendil still has one that he wears while he's sky-sailing, appearing as the Evening/Morning Star to everyone.

And his light went into the Phial of Galadriel, which isn't ancient, but carries special powers. It seems like a saintly relic to me, like a clasp of St Francis's hair or something, since it comes from saintly Galadriel.

Would the palantiri count?

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 26, 2:36pm

Post #3 of 10 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I think the Sillmarills Count [In reply to] Can't Post

But I guess I was looking more towards those surviving in middel earth in the third age. The Palantiri I think were more just great craftsmanship than a relic.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26, 10:37pm

Post #4 of 10 (1120 views)
Shortcut
For the Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

The Redbook of Westmarch... and Sam's salt box ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 27, 1:15am

Post #5 of 10 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

There's the Ring of Barahir, some 7000 years old when Aragorn received it. The (real) Elendilmir discovered in Orthanc is also ancient. There are the swords Orcrist and Glamdring, made in Gondolin in the First Age, and Sting is hinted at being of the same origin. The Elessar, again given to Aragorn. The surviving Palantiri, which may have been made in Valinor in the Age of the Trees. I'm not sure how old the Sceptre of Annuminas is, but the name suggests it predated the division of Arnor, so it's got a couple of millennia under its belt too. Of later date, but still centuries old and held in reverence, are the Arkenstone and the Crown of Gondor. The horn from the horde of Scatha which Eowyn gave Merry, (No clue whether the horn sounded at Helm's Deep was the actual Horn of Helm or just a horn).

Then there are those old rings....

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Jan 27, 1:19am)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 27, 5:46am

Post #6 of 10 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Aren't relics supposed to be associated with specific individuals? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the original request wasn't very clear about the difference between objects that are simply of great antiquity, and objects that are believed to be the personal possessions or remains of a long-dead person. But my understanding is that the term applies to the latter case.

So the objects named in your post, having been held or wielded or worn by a succession of nobles or kings, would seem to be rather heirlooms than relics. Their ancientry is not disputed, but they represent the spirit of a dynasty, not the manifestation of a single honored Man or Elf.

For relics, I'd agree that Galadriel's three golden hairs, which Gimli proposes to preserve in a crystal reliquary, definitely qualify. Likewise the jewel that Tom Bombadil finds in the Barrow, which he associates with a distinct noblewoman of Arnor. Otherwise, Tolkien does not really develop the theme of relics - personal possessions or body parts or preserved garments - in his stories. He may have realized that to do so would be to introduce more of Catholicism to the story than he felt was wise.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 27, 2:08pm

Post #7 of 10 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Salt box, love it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Redbook of Westmarch... and Sam's salt box ;)

Great stuff thanks lol.

J.R.R Tolkien

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 27, 2:16pm

Post #8 of 10 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's the Ring of Barahir, some 7000 years old when Aragorn received it. The (real) Elendilmir discovered in Orthanc is also ancient. There are the swords Orcrist and Glamdring, made in Gondolin in the First Age, and Sting is hinted at being of the same origin. The Elessar, again given to Aragorn. The surviving Palantiri, which may have been made in Valinor in the Age of the Trees. I'm not sure how old the Sceptre of Annuminas is, but the name suggests it predated the division of Arnor, so it's got a couple of millennia under its belt too. Of later date, but still centuries old and held in reverence, are the Arkenstone and the Crown of Gondor. The horn from the horde of Scatha which Eowyn gave Merry, (No clue whether the horn sounded at Helm's Deep was the actual Horn of Helm or just a horn).

Then there are those old rings....

More great stuff to look into.

J.R.R Tolkien

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 27, 2:17pm

Post #9 of 10 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Wise Words [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks.

J.R.R Tolkien

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Feb 15, 11:33am

Post #10 of 10 (589 views)
Shortcut
The Palantir? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not for everyone's use, I suppose, but where actually older than the Rings of power!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.