Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
General Tolkien question for all true LR geeks!

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 24, 4:20am

Post #1 of 14 (456 views)
Shortcut
General Tolkien question for all true LR geeks! Can't Post

This is a serious inquiry, because my faltering memory needs help.

Can anyone here think of any occasion in the text of The Lord of the Rings, aside from Bilbo's party (Thursday 22 September 1418), where Tolkien specified the weekday?

(No, Midyear's Day doesn't count)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 24, 4:42am

Post #2 of 14 (436 views)
Shortcut
He does use the day names elsewhere, but only in Shire or Bree contexts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Monday:
‘Watch every shadow!’ [Strider] said in a low voice. ‘Black horsemen have passed through Bree. On Monday one came down the Greenway, they say; and another appeared later, coming up the Greenway from the south.’ - LR I-10.
Monday is mentioned several other times in Bree, including once in the return journey in Book VI.

As you say, Bilbo's birthday is on Thursday. Since Tolkien made a point of arranging the Shire calendar so the weekdays are the same for the dates every year, the Thursday of Bilbo's birthday becomes a minor repeating theme, in the hobbit sections of the book:
The next day Frodo became really anxious, and kept a constant look-out for Gandalf. Thursday, his birthday morning, dawned as fair and clear as it had long ago for Bilbo’s great party. - LR I.3

Frodo called Sam into the study.
‘It will be Bilbo’s Birthday on Thursday, Sam,’ he said. ‘And he will pass the Old Took. He will be a hundred and thirty-one!’ - LR VI.9
Saturday and Sunday are mentioned in Frodo's song about the Man in the Moon. (LR I.9)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 24, 5:16am

Post #3 of 14 (428 views)
Shortcut
Frodo's song at the Prancing Pony [In reply to] Can't Post

And O! the rows of silver dishes
and the store of silver spoons!
For Sunday there's a special pair,
And these they polish up with care
on Saturday afternoons.
With a ping and a pang the fiddle-strings broke!
the cow jumped over the Moon,
And the little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Saturday dish went off at a run
with the silver Sunday spoon.

But perhaps you're looking for days of the week in relation to the journey. These were the only mentions of day names off the top of my head.

Ah, I see Squire beat me to it, but I've had a jolly time lost in song lyrics.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jan 24, 5:22am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 24, 5:18am

Post #4 of 14 (423 views)
Shortcut
In addition... [In reply to] Can't Post

...any time that a specific date is referenced (such as the Council of Elrond on October 25), the weekday can be determined by cross-referencing the Shire Calendar in Appendix D.

#FidelityToTolkien

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 24, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 14 (383 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...any time that a specific date is referenced (such as the Council of Elrond on October 25), the weekday can be determined by cross-referencing the Shire Calendar in Appendix D.

I understand that. But what I'm looking for is where the text of the main narrative actually specifies a weekday - as a crosscheck on Appendix D.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 24, 3:16pm

Post #6 of 14 (377 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I cant think of any such contradictions in LotR. However, there is a slight discrepancy in The Hobbit where Gandalf says to Thorin: "And Thrain your father went away on the twenty-first of April, a hundred years ago last Thursday, and has never been seen by you since --"

The Shire Calendar indicates that April 21 would have been a Friday, but Tolkien wouldn't have yet developed that calendar when he was writing The Hobbit. We can still come up with the in-story explanation that the upcoming anniversary would have fallen on a Friday in the Reckoning of the Longbeards. It's speculation of course, but it works.

#FidelityToTolkien

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 24, 3:48pm

Post #7 of 14 (377 views)
Shortcut
Oh No - Bilbo's Birthday was *always* a Thursday? That explains... [In reply to] Can't Post

[Caption - Martin Freeman in a pub being consoled by a friend. He says "It must be a Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays." Mr Freeman is appearing as Arthur Dent in a film of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy rather than as Bilbo, but if you ask me that's just a detail and rather spoils things...]

~~~~~~
"Yes, I am half-elven. No, it does not mean that 'I have one pointy ear' "
Sven Elven, proprietor of the Rivendell convenience store.

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jan 24, 3:49pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 24, 3:51pm

Post #8 of 14 (373 views)
Shortcut
If you have an LOTR eBook... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have an LOTR eBook, could you search the text for each weekday in turn ? That should give you a comprehensive list of every time Monday, Tuesday.... appears

~~~~~~
"Yes, I am half-elven. No, it does not mean that 'I have one pointy ear' "
Sven Elven, proprietor of the Rivendell convenience store.

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 24, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 14 (364 views)
Shortcut
Convenient as that would be, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jan 24, 9:10pm

Post #10 of 14 (354 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking of that one [In reply to] Can't Post

And as the Earth gets destroyed in the next scene, that is a really inconvenient Thursday!

Smile

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 24, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 14 (349 views)
Shortcut
NoWiz - winner of Hitchhiker's Guide Hobbit Mashup Caption Contest XLll. Perfect. // [In reply to] Can't Post

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Jan 24, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 14 (343 views)
Shortcut
I would just like to take a moment to observe [In reply to] Can't Post

I gather one of the books one Squire's prodigious shelf is a concordance of LOTR? Because apparently he answered that unbelieveably wonkish question in two minutes, I'm just sayin'.

At four-thirty in the morning.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25, 1:39am

Post #13 of 14 (335 views)
Shortcut
Also Wednesday [In reply to] Can't Post

but only in the context of that Thursday birthday:

"Then the weather clouded over. That was on Wednesday the eve of the Party. Anxiety was intense. Then Thursday, September the 22nd, actually dawned."

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 25, 8:55am

Post #14 of 14 (302 views)
Shortcut
JRRT observes [In reply to] Can't Post

that "the last day (Friday/Highday) of the week was the chief day ... Saturday thus corresponds more nearly to our Monday, and Thursday to our Saturday."
and "I have therefore in Bilbo's song used Saturday and Sunday instead of Thursday and Friday."
See the last pages of Appendix D.
So Fiesta Friday could be used as is, or to be precise Fiesta Sunday.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.