Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Oops! Is it Friday and Fiesta already?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 17, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 42 (411 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Is it Friday and Fiesta already? Can't Post

I'm sitting here at a client's office, surrounded by binders, and was having so much fun I forgot to start Fiesta. Wink But I'm finally here now, so let's get this party started!

Do tell us what you've been up to this week and/or what your plans are for the weekend. B.G. and I are getting ready to go on another much-needed vacation adventure, so look forward to the company of some very wonderful, and capable bartending subs over the next few weeks (who hopefully will not forget to start the party Blush). We're off to the far reaches of South America (bringing work along, but oh well)

As always, the bar and buffet are well-stocked and the bartender is (finally) ready to take your orders!

Have wonderful weekend, everyone! CoolHeartSmile

*puts quarters on juke box* play us something to get rid of the mid-winter blues!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 17, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 42 (354 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* first to Fiesta? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is indeed a first for me! Enjoy your time away, Altaira - sounds like an adventure! I've been painting the bedroom this week - nothing fancy, just going over disappointingly faded wallpaper - and looking after grandsons here and there. On Thursday our local knitting group, which I started back in 2014, had a New Year Stash Bash. The library where we meet allows us to use some shelves for storage, but things were getting a bit out of hand. It was a hoot - an unkind comparison might be a mob of hyenas round a juicy carcase! - and achieved the desired objective of organising different yarns properly, weeding out stuff we were never going to use and passing it on to people who would.. All sorted now!
Some relaxing music is in order, I think, after busy times, so I'll start things off with Dire Straits and 'Sultans of Swing'. Have a good weekend, folks - cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:15pm

Post #3 of 42 (355 views)
Shortcut
Following the summer, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

And getting away from the Colorado winter weather! Laugh "Far reaches" - does that mean Tierra del Fuego? Shocked

Could I have a mocha coffee, please, Altaira? It'll be good to have a three-day weekend. Both of my girls will be flying in next week for their grandpa's memorial service, so I've got to clean up the messes in their rooms: still have boxes and wrappings from Christmas in one room, and photo albums and photos all over in the other as we select the ones to be put on a photo collage.

*puts quarter in juke box* They're having a Beach Day slideshow in our cafeteria today, so let's got with some Jan & Dean, "Little Old Lady from Pasadena"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:15pm

Post #4 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
It helps whe the bartender opens the bar late [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushBlush

However, first you are, nonetheless!

Now I have this image in my mind of a group of hyenas sitting around knitting, lol. I'm sure there were many treasures to be found, and organizing things always imparts a sense of satisfaction afterward, even if it's only yarn and not a juicy carcass.

Good choice of music! Enjoy the weekend and the rest of the painting!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:22pm

Post #5 of 42 (350 views)
Shortcut
Oh does that sound like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting a group together to do some weeding like that - a very cathartic experience! Did you have tea and goodies to accompany the occasion? Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:23pm

Post #6 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
Selecting photos [In reply to] Can't Post

We did the same thing for my sister. Her son/my nephew is a professional film editor so he put together a wonderful slide show with a few cuts of old restored 8mm film thrown in for good measure. The best thing was the comfort and wonderful memories going through all the photos brought to us. Wishing you and your family the same. Heart

Great. Thanks to your song and Greenwood Hobbit's post, I now have a picture in my mind of little old lady hyenas sitting around knitting. Where will this lead next, lol!?

Have a wonderful weekend of good memories, my friend. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:29pm

Post #7 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
Restored film? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a genius he is, I can imagine how fantastic the slide show came out, and that's full of memories to treasure now!

Little old lady hyenas knitting? Ack, now I've got an earworm of Scar's song from Lion King! Laugh

Thanks, you have a good weekend too, Altaira, but you still haven't told us if your adventure will include Macchu Picchu!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 17, 6:30pm

Post #8 of 42 (346 views)
Shortcut
Well, they were certainly noisy enough! All good fun, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 17, 6:33pm

Post #9 of 42 (342 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately not, as we were in the library - just a tin of shortbread left over from Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 17, 6:49pm

Post #10 of 42 (349 views)
Shortcut
A pick-me-up, please barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

My holidays have ended. Unsure I'm back at work on Monday and I don't really wanna go. (It's a good job, but a demanding one and I've really enjoyed doing very little for the last few weeks - and summer's just starting to feel like it's arrived!)

I had my first Pilates instruction on Thursday, in an effort to strengthen my core and gluteal muscles to support my hip. I'm still aching from it. I know this will benefit me in the long-term but these early efforts aren't going to be fun.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 17, 7:04pm

Post #11 of 42 (339 views)
Shortcut
Going back to work [In reply to] Can't Post

will be like shock to your system, mentally and physically. Laugh Good luck with the transition.
I admire all the efforts you're making to strengthen up! Keep telling yourself: Sore is good, sore is good!

*sets hot drink on the bar* A double espresso with a tiny splash of peppermint schnapps should get you going.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 18, 9:22am

Post #12 of 42 (331 views)
Shortcut
a fable from my yoga teacher [In reply to] Can't Post

A master and disciple were out following a path one fine day. As it wound upward, they came to a place where a large boulder was blocking the original path and so the path curved around it."How heavy do you think this boulder is ?" the master inquired."Why, look at its size," replied the disciple. "It must be very heavy."The master said, "Not if you don't pick it up."
(think about it)Food for thought for busy TORNsibs.
I'm moving some paperwork boulders with the assistance of a neighbor. There are banker boxes all over the living and dining rooms; it looks like I moved in recently, but I've been here since 2007!
We are having a mild winter so far in South Texas and send our best wishes to those struggling with fire, snow, and rain.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18, 1:43pm

Post #13 of 42 (310 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up!* I'll grab the tea-towel :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an ooops here, too, on getting here on time. My local daughter is moving into another apartment on the 31st, so we've been packing and moving things into storage. I JUST LOVE MOVING AND CARRYING BOXES! *upchuck* We'll put Bill the Trailer to work. Hopefully this will be the last time for a long while.

I am SO happy BG and you are getting away. You definitely need a chance to shift gears and have some quiet time. *big hug*

I'm keeping an ear open for my g'son who was taking the 24-hour bus ride from Baltimore back to college in Iowa City. They had to stop in Chicago because of the snowstorm moving across the mid to NE US. An extra $200 for a hotel stay wasn't in the plans, so we're hoping he'll be on the road again this morning. I've just caught the snow that stopped him (7" so far), so I'm very glad they did get off the road.

Have a great trip, Altaira... and thank you for taking such great care of us. I'll grab the keys for next Friday if you'd like :D *stocks shelves*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Jan 18, 5:15pm

Post #14 of 42 (292 views)
Shortcut
it is amazingly comforting. [In reply to] Can't Post

When people lose a beloved pet I always suggest putting together a photo album - you get to relive their life and many happy memories. Haven't so far suggested the same about a beloved person, but I have put together or helped put together a slideshow for the memorial service, and it has been a sweet experience.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 18, 5:16pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18, 8:15pm

Post #15 of 42 (270 views)
Shortcut
My sympathies! [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how great the job is, it's always hard getting back into it after being away for a while.

Best of luck with the exercises, just imagine how much better you'll be feeling later on!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18, 8:18pm

Post #16 of 42 (272 views)
Shortcut
Bearing burdens - or not! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know how heavy those kinds of boxes can be when they're filled! Is this all stuff you have to keep, or can some of it go to be shredded?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18, 8:26pm

Post #17 of 42 (270 views)
Shortcut
More moving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch out, gramma, or you'll become a professional mover before you know it! Laugh Thank goodness for the ol' beast of burden Bill. Sounds like she's moving into a smaller place, that's always tricky to figure out what goes and what gets stored.

Did grandson get back to school okay? I've been reading horror stories about the road conditions out in the Midwest. Stay safe!

Thank you for managing the bar next Friday (and thank you for your sweet card!). I shan't be online much that day, my kids will all be home and we'll be travelling to the Berkshires for the memorial service on Saturday, along with many other 'sibs and grandkids and great-grandkids...a sad family reunion, but we hold one another up, and that's good. Heart

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 18, 9:06pm

Post #18 of 42 (272 views)
Shortcut
I'm actually here on time! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

First Fiesta that I've been here on Friday for in a while! Tongue

Howdy, friends. Heart I'll have my usual! Smile

Nothing's changed much in the past couple days. Sitting down to rewatch the last couple episodes of The Mandalorian for my stream tomorrow. Smile

Going to try to make it out to the movies tomorrow morning. I've still got a number of films to see before the Oscars next month. We're actually going to do an Oscar pre-show on the Channel right before the show starts, so I've got to make sure I know what I'm talking about. Tongue

Hope you guys are all doing great! Have a wonderful day. Heart

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

Come join me in discussing all things cinema, television and literature at ConcerningFantasy.com.

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 18, 9:07pm)

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 19, 9:46am

Post #19 of 42 (212 views)
Shortcut
Mostly keepers [In reply to] Can't Post

which need sorting into proper categories.We did find an overlooked check to me of $330!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 19, 10:38am

Post #20 of 42 (210 views)
Shortcut
Hey there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our winter has been mild here in Maryland. I may have enough fire wood to last me through for once this year. I would like to see one good snow storm on a day when I donít have to go anywhere. Love to sit by the fire and watch it snow!

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 19, 10:42am

Post #21 of 42 (215 views)
Shortcut
Hey all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I donít come here too often theses days. I really want to see Little Women today. Itís too easy for me to just wait and watch movies at home these days. But I have a plan today. I take my granddaughter to work at 10 and then have just the right amount of time to do a bit of shopping and then catch the movie.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19, 1:27pm

Post #22 of 42 (206 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Of course these things are needed and good [In reply to] Can't Post

But they're both demanding most of your attention and energy. I can't wait for the day when you can retire and every day will be like the ones you've had for vacation :) And the Pilates will do the job for you; but hurting is getting old. *high five* Good for you on attacking the recovery full-on! I hope one day soon you'll get up and walk across the room... stop short and realize nothing hurts! :D Enjoy the Journey!!! *runs for cover*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19, 2:14pm

Post #23 of 42 (202 views)
Shortcut
Love Dire Straits! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great music for a productive day :D
I love it that your library is a true community meeting place. Good For Them! That must have been a hoot sorting through your colourful treasures :D I hope you're having a great weekend with your projects and g'sons!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19, 2:34pm

Post #24 of 42 (200 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although - I hope it was dated within the past year, or that you can get it re-issued if not!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 19, 5:27pm

Post #25 of 42 (191 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but hurting is getting old.

...after five years of this, it is.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.