Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Amazon's LOTR Show Sets Cast - TCA
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Jan 14, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 56 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Amazon's LOTR Show Sets Cast - TCA Can't Post

https://deadline.com/...cast-tca-1202830413/

Amazon Studios at TCA today announced the first group of regulars set to star in their adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series. The cast officially includes Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, and Daniel Weyman. Cameras roll next month. Table reads in New Zealand are already underway.

More to come!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Jan 14, 9:20pm

Post #2 of 56 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Would really be nice [In reply to] Can't Post

if we knew who was playing what (exception we know Ms. Clark is playing Galadriel). But still, I'll take the news! Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Akhnaten
The Shire

Jan 14, 9:43pm

Post #3 of 56 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Social [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s all up on the official social accounts

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7UJ9WqjvEm/?igshid=dmr3frggs1fu

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Jan 14, 9:43pm

Post #4 of 56 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Seems pretty youth heavy [In reply to] Can't Post

The cast seems overwhelmingly youthful and young. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Middle age actors may be able to provide more gravitas to their performances, especially when playing very old characters, or characters that are supposed to posses great maturity, such as kings and elves. Maybe it's just the pictures they used, but I felt like I was looking at a high school yearbook with a few teachers thrown in.

Reminding myself, Cate Blanchett was 31 when she portrayed Galadriel, Liv Tyler was about 23/24. Viggo was early 40s. Hugo Weaving was also early 40s. That seems to be a good age to portray the depth one would want in such a long-lived, wise, and mature character.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 14, 10:04pm

Post #5 of 56 (1239 views)
Shortcut
My thought exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The names of the actors are largely meaningless to me. It would be nice to know whether the names of the characters that they are playing are also meaningless to me, or if they are characters that I actually know of.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

MoreMorgoth
Rivendell

Jan 14, 11:57pm

Post #6 of 56 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Joseph Mawle [In reply to] Can't Post

Joseph Mawle previously played Inspector Jedidiah Shine on RIPPER STREET which was on for four years on the BBC. He was excellent and makes a wonderful villain.

If they need someone for Sauron - he would be an excellent selection.

Althoun
Lorien

Jan 15, 12:34am

Post #7 of 56 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Still no character names to put to the faces, though.

I do wonder why there aren't any prominent actors in the mix, as in Rosamund Pike for WoT and Henry Cavil in The Witcher.

Would have expected most to be less well known and a number of fresh faces, but I might also have expected maybe one or two notables? (i.e. like Sean Bean in the original GoT).

(This post was edited by Althoun on Jan 15, 12:35am)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 15, 12:40am

Post #8 of 56 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Utter apprehension [In reply to] Can't Post

All the outlets are Calling this j r r tolkiens lord Of the rings series, it just seems kind of odd that we havnt got a name for this TV show yet, lord of the rings on prime? That doesn't even make sense. will they treat it as a sort of pre prequel to the Lord of the rings films ? Or even as part of the same story?

It all just seems wrong to me. I can't believe the estate has let this all happen yet hold onto the silmarillion ( a collection of story's that tolkien actually wrote!)

Every name every subplot every piece of dialogue is going to be so far removed from the original works I just don't know if I can even class it as part of the same thing, even the name boldor annoys me already.

How can they be using timeliness from the appendix and not touch on the silmarillion, it seems all So wrong.

Think how far the hobbit went off track and times that by a hundred!

So that's where I'm at right now, expecting the worse bit hoping for the better. the actors are all fine I'm sure, but the lack of character info is frustrating.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 15, 12:56am

Post #9 of 56 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Exciting news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't have much to say about this, though, until tomorrow. TORn Tuesday starts in a few minutes and I also have to work tonight.

#FidelityToTolkien

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 15, 1:58am

Post #10 of 56 (1098 views)
Shortcut
All except one very young [In reply to] Can't Post

but generally not Ralph Lauren-ad pretty so as to send off my warning alarms. One might hope chosen for acting ability and/or part suitability rather than looks.

But still, it all comes down to the writing. It ALWAYS comes down to the writing. Write a bad script, not Barrymore, Olivier, Richardson, Redgrave and Gielgud together could save it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 15, 4:24am

Post #11 of 56 (1043 views)
Shortcut
What are we considering "very young"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain Arthur - 35 years old
Nazanin Boniadi - 39 years old
Tom Budge - 37 years old
Joseph Mawle - 45 years old
Daniel Weyman - 43 years old

And I can't find Dylan Smith's age, but he looks to be in late 40s-50s.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

Come join me in discussing all things cinema, television and literature at ConcerningFantasy.com.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Jan 15, 1:00pm

Post #12 of 56 (921 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not too familiar with these actors, but I can't wait to see them on screen! I'm pleased to hear some are involved with BBC productions. That's wonder training ground for performers IMHO.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

fantasywind
Bree

Jan 15, 3:07pm

Post #13 of 56 (870 views)
Shortcut
exactly my fears [In reply to] Can't Post

you pretty much summarized what I've been thinking about. We'l see but I'm trying to get my hope up, it's more than likely those hopes would lead to disappointment :).

In Reply To
The names of the actors are largely meaningless to me. It would be nice to know whether the names of the characters that they are playing are also meaningless to me, or if they are characters that I actually know of.

I can say so as well, I haven't seen any of those actors before and this news is once again unhelpful in not releasing a substantial confirmed characters that will appear in this show.

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 15, 4:34pm

Post #14 of 56 (846 views)
Shortcut
Ismael Cruz Cordova - Annatar??? [In reply to] Can't Post

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Jan 15, 4:35pm

Post #15 of 56 (843 views)
Shortcut
Those were the "teachers!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all looked pretty young, but I thought about half did. Those you listed were the ones I figured looked like the older teachers in my yearbook analogy.

The only one on that list that is older than I thought is Nazanin Boniadi at 39 years old. Granted, I thought she looked like older 20s anyway which is older than Liv Tyler when portraying Arwen.

Of the 15 photos, when I looked through them I thought about half looked like early 20s or younger.

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 15, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 56 (840 views)
Shortcut
Tyroe Muhafidin - he has "elfin" ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Althoun
Lorien

Jan 15, 4:58pm

Post #17 of 56 (830 views)
Shortcut
A number of people on social media have been speculating.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Ismael has the right "look" for Annatar (if they're going for the Lord of Gifts, pretty and alluring enough to seduce the Noldor of Eregion, type of thing).

Mawle's role ("Oren" in audition scripts) was described by a few reports as "a villain" in the series. That could be Sauron but it might also be a conniving Numenorean nobleman/royal, perhaps even the guy who becomes the Witch-king of Angmar. We have no idea where they're going with the plot or of the initial villain will remain thee ultimate villain himself.

I'm personally hoping that Sauron isn't going to be portrayed as villainous off-the-bat or indeed immediately as Sauron.

If his beguiling illusion was convincing to the High Elves, it should be equally so for the audience early on IMHO.

(This post was edited by Althoun on Jan 15, 4:59pm)

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 15, 5:32pm

Post #18 of 56 (810 views)
Shortcut
Any guesses who Sophia Nomvete could portray? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Valinor

Jan 15, 5:38pm

Post #19 of 56 (806 views)
Shortcut
I see similar casting choices with Amazon's other franchise Wheel of Time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser

Jan 15, 7:31pm

Post #20 of 56 (745 views)
Shortcut
TORN's Facebook page is positing Joseph Mawle as Sauron. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

I post this with the proviso that TORN's FB crew has been ... less the accurate with LOTR news in the past.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 15, 7:43pm

Post #21 of 56 (740 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the posting does not state that Mawle is definitely playing Sauron (unless it did say that and was revised). It only states that he might, potentially be Sauron.

#FidelityToTolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 15, 7:49pm

Post #22 of 56 (733 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I can say so as well, I haven't seen any of those actors before and this news is once again unhelpful in not releasing a substantial confirmed characters that will appear in this show.

We are reasonably certain that Morfydd Clark is playing Galadriel. You can see her recent work as Mina in BBC's new adaptation of Dracula (currently available on Netflix).

#FidelityToTolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 15, 7:55pm

Post #23 of 56 (730 views)
Shortcut
Ismael Cruz Córdova [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ismael Cruz Cordova - Annatar???

Córdova could be Annatar. He might instead be playing one of the Men who receive the Nine Rings from Sauron.

#FidelityToTolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 15, 8:01pm

Post #24 of 56 (727 views)
Shortcut
A Haladin Woman? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any guesses who Sophia Nomvete could portray?

Might the People of Haleth have been different enough from the other Edain so that Ms. Nomvete might be of that folk? Otherwise, she might be cast as a Southron woman.

From Tolkien's essay "The Drúedain":

The Folk of Haleth were strangers to the other Atani, speaking an alien language; and though united with them in alliance with the Eldar, they remained a people apart.

The Haladin were also notable for many of the warriors being women.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 15, 8:11pm)

Althoun
Lorien

Jan 15, 8:09pm

Post #25 of 56 (722 views)
Shortcut
Operative wording "will potentially play SAURON"... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

I post this with the proviso that TORN's FB crew has been ... less the accurate with LOTR news in the past.

Even they are hedging their bets now, which I think is wise after the, ah, recent history as you say.

If the TORN Twitter/FB account had been an ancient Roman sibyl, I daresay the Empire would have collapsed from war or famine centuries earlier than it did, if anyone took faith in its prophecies! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.